Rhodo kesangiae

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by iwm3465, Mar 31, 2021.

1. iwm3465

iwm3465 New Member

I am looking for advice on how to ensure that my 12 year old R. kesangiae continues to thrive. Its basic shape is that of a Y, with the vertical trunk 18" high and the two branches about 14" long. The two branches are equally developed. This year it's leaves are larger than in years past and currently (Mar 31/21) the largest leaf is 21" long. My concern is that, as it continues to grow, the weight of the enormous leaves will tear the branch off the junction with the trunk. Should I remove one of the branches? Should I stop worrying and let it continue to grow? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Attached Files:

2. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

I'd be inclined to leave it alone - the weight of the large leaves seem not to bother them, much.

I have one that is 20 years old, with leaves that are typically around 25 cm long (I've seen plants that have a bit longer leaves, but can confirm that mine is also correct as the source is RSF verified.

Your 21" equates to 50+ cm. Do you know the source of your plant and are you sure it isn't something else - like sinogrande?

Contact me if you want to view my plant so you can compare (I'm also in North Van).

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  4. iwm3465

iwm3465 New Member

Bill, thanks for your message. We bought this rhodo on Vancouver Island at a nursery that was going out of business - I can't remember the name of it, but it was north of Victoria on the Saanich Peninsula and the old guy had an amazing collection of species rhodos. It was labelled as a kesangiae but who knows if he got it right. I'd not heard of a sinogrande before seeing your message but, looking at images of it online, our certainly could be sinogrande. Ours has not flowered yet. If yours is 20 years old and its leaves are around 25 cm then perhaps ours is sinogrande, or perhaps some other species. It would be great to come over and visit your rhodo. Since you are also in North Van, I could come over without violating the latest urgings about restraining from travel. Let me know.

Attached Files:

5. iwm3465

iwm3465 New Member

Ron, thanks for your message. The photo you tagged looks a lot like ours, although we haven't had flowers yet so can't use that to ID this rhodo. Another person who replied to me suggested it might be R. sinogrande, a rhodo I had not heard of before but which has gigantic leaves and very similar form. For now I think I'll let the rhodo continue to grow as a Y.