Appreciation: Out and About

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by wcutler, May 24, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

When out walking on a lovely sunny morning at this time of year, it is easy to go from blossom to blossom, but sadly as has been mentioned, there is not a lot of perfume that goes with the glorious colours. So when we came across this Viburnum lantana that filled the little lane we walk down daily with a beautiful musk scent, even though only barely opening, then that made for the perfect walk.

Wish I could share the scent with you all.
    IMG_20210402_111737355.jpg

Nik and Margot like this.
  2. Acerholic

A little distant, but this Magnolia soulangea looked so pretty amongst all the evergreens and some new leaves on deciduous trees. In a few days all the flowers will be gone, so captured it as we saw it this morning.
    Magnolia x soulangeana 178.JPG

AlainK, Nik and Margot like this.
  3. Acerholic

Good morning, I just wanted to say 'Happy Easter' to everyone on this thread with a photo I took an hour ago on our walk of these lovely colourful Narcissus poeticus. Think they sum up what I'm trying to convey.
    Have a lovely day.
    IMG_20210404_100631851_HDR.jpg IMG_20210404_100704069.jpg

Margot, AlainK and Nik like this.
  4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Three magnolias :

re-IMG_7181.jpg

Syringa afghanica and syringa x persica. Both are rather shrubs than trees and have much smaller leaves than syringa vulgaris.

IMG_7183.JPG IMG_7186.JPG

The biggest weeping beech I know :

re-IMG_7184.jpg

One of the blue Atlantic cedars in the park, a view of other trees :

re-IMG_7189.jpg re-IMG_7205.jpg

I don't know what this tree is, any idea ?

re-IMG_7210.jpg re-IMG_7214.jpg

Nik likes this.
  5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The Connecticut cherries don't seem to have the particularly red calyces of 'Okame'. And there are other, generally similar named hybrid selections grown. Otherwise eastern US locations don't seem to have the blighting problem with 'Okame' that we do out here.

The narcissus are not poeticus because their too large cups also have the wrong coloration. The mystery flowering tree is a box elder.

6. Nik

Nik Contributor

What are the other selections named?

7. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

Our first spring crocus - seen at Bowmont park in Calgary April 5, 2021

Attached Files:

Nik, AlainK, Margot and 1 other person like this.
  8. Acerholic

On our very early walk this morning, I saw this Acer platanoides Norway maple on the village green. Now I have posted it on the maples forum, but as some don't follow that forum and this is out and about, I wanted to add it here, as I know the regulars including myself like to see where we all live.
    I really love Spring greens, they are the very best of all greens IMO.
    Acer platanoides 187.JPG Acer platanoides 188.JPG

hiking Pat, AlainK and Margot like this.
  9. Acerholic

I promised Margot that I would take a few photos of the Anemone nemorosa in my local woods, so here they are from this mornings walk.
    Anemone nemorosa 189.JPG Anemone nemorosa 190.JPG Anemone nemorosa 191.JPG
    There are clumps of these everywhere here in Hampshire England at this time of the year.

Nik, AlainK and Margot like this.
  10. Acerholic

I've just got back from an errand I had to do and whilst I was out I saw this and thought I should take a few photos to share. It is my local church, about a drive and a sand wedge away from my house, for the golfers amongst us.
    The tree is a Amelanchier lamarckii.
    Local church  with Amelanchier lamarckii tree 189.JPG Local church with Amelanchier lamarckii tree 190.JPG Local church with Amelanchier lamarckii tree 191.JPG

Nik, AlainK, hiking Pat and 2 others like this.
  11. Acerholic

Good morning, a very short walk this morning, as we are waiting for a parcel to arrive. But as these are everywhere where we live, I thought why not post a couple of photos so members can see a little of the planting in my immediate area. This is in the front garden of my neighbours house a few doors from me. Photinia 'Red Robin'.
    Photinia Red Robin 189.JPG Photinia Red Robin 190.JPG

12. Acerholic

Just got back from a late walk for us today, but there is always something to spike our interest. Here is a lovely Prunus laurocerasus Cherry laurel brightening up the area. Lovely scent also.
    Cherry Laurel 189.JPG Cherry Laurel 190.JPG

AlainK likes this.
  13. Ron B

Full name Photinia x fraseri 'Red Robin' (if example shown is known in fact to be that particular cultivar). Over here Fraser photinia has been rendered obsolete by a leaf spot fungus. So that in my area - where this hybrid remains highly prevalent in the planted landscape - now shabby looking specimens are to be seen all over. Before that the still present poor light green leaf color was usual with this shrub on local soils. With the very occasional good deep green ones showing how this plant can have an entirely different aspect when fully accommodated.

Your pictures show the same foliage color issue with that one there plus in addition it actually has interveinal chlorosis. As does the example used for this portrait (where a leaf spot problem is also mentioned as being possible to encounter there):

Photinia x fraseri 'Red Robin'|Christmas berry 'Red Robin'/RHS Gardening

spike our interest

No pun intended presumably.

This is another shrub that is everywhere here, both as an intentional planting and as a reseeding nuisance plant. And as it happens is another that quite often has a low level of greenness under our conditions.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  14. Acerholic

There are better examples in my area of Red Robin as they grow profusely. Must be the clay soil as they are almost uncontrollable tbh.
    Cherry laurel equally grows and grows and has to be kept regularly pruned to stop it taking over. But in the right place and with the correct trimming, both have their place in gardens here in Hampshire.

15. Ron B

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  16. Acerholic

17. Willard

Willard Generous Contributor

Erythronium DSC_0310.JPG Erythronium DSC_0315.jpeg Erythronium DSC_0317.JPG
    Finally made it to Gospel Rock Today. Thanks for the info.

AlainK, Georgia Strait and Acerholic like this.
  18. Acerholic

19. AlainK

The construction in the background, is it a hop farm ? Or a kind of granary to dry other crops ?...

20. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I think these are ornamental pears planted approx 20 yr ago next to GBS (building supply) in Gibsons just west of Sunnycrest Road

And a picture of the half-pruned tree at Legion cenotaph that @Willard posted a couple of times as it progresses this spring — can we nominate our fav « mullet haircut » tree ... business up front, party in the back as the teasing suggestion goes re this old Cdn hockey player haircut
    ————-
    Then Gospel Rock erythronium (spell?)
    just like Willard posted today too - the mtn range in background is called « Britannia Range » And they share the Rocky roadside space w a neighbor wild cherry and I think a wild volunteer apple soon to bloom. The wild cherry is in the shot with the sun flare.

We can also view to the west and wave across the approx 20 miles of Salish Sea at our forum contributors in Nanaimo area — Mt Arrowsmith is visible in clear days

The dead tall branches are part of some Arbutus (Madrone in USA) that died back a few yr ago during an event that killed many in this small part of Canada where they occur.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  21. Acerholic

Lol, it's the local church, hop farms are in Kent. Perhaps not being a Norman one threw you Alain, lol.

AlainK likes this.
  22. AlainK

I also thought about that, but it looked rather like what you can see in eastern Europe, not where I've been to in England ;-)

Nice building.

23. Acerholic

Always been a Catholic church ever since I was a child. It's on the old Roman Road from Southampton to London. Obviously the old Norman C of E churches in the area are very different.

24. Acerholic

Good afternoon, this tree is only 25 paces from our house and is a prized tree for our very nice elderly neighbour, so I thought I would post a photo of it just getting ready to flower. It is Malus floribunda Japanese flowering crabb apple.
    I will post another when it is in full flower.
    Malus floribunda Japanese flowering crab apple 198.JPG
    Edit 1, this may not be floribunda..

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  25. Ron B