Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

This morning I received a few awesome cuttings from France (Beni chidori, arakawa,deshojo and Beni tsukasa).
    That made my day, and I am going to have a lot of fun growing theses in the next coming years.

20210416_130141.jpg
    20210416_130147.jpg
    20210416_130153.jpg
    20210416_130158.jpg

I am out for some repotting !

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  3. Shin-Deshojo

Cuttings very healthy D, they just need to recover from the 4 days they have been in a box.
    Some leaves and also some root balls were completely dry, but I think they will be OK in a few weeks.

(Seedlings would have been a scam thought).

4. Acerholic

Is a forest on the cards I ??

5. Shin-Deshojo

Sorry , what do you mean by cards D?

6. Acerholic

Sorry I, an expression from old England. It means are you intending to create a forest Bonsai?

7. Shin-Deshojo

Oh ok..check you pms.
    Yes some forests are planned : )

8. Acerholic

Look forward to seeing how they turn out. I'm planning on doing this soon, so will watch yours with interest.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  9. Shin-Deshojo

Sure D, we can help each other sharing our experiences as i have never done a classic one so far, i think that will be fun to start both a forest ( or more :)

I won't start untill next spring as they need some root work and are already leafed.
    Also need to find some great pots

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Acerholic

Next Spring it is then I. Mine will be ready then also.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  11. GPA

GPA Well-Known Member

Tsuma Gaki

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

Esas uñas se ven increíbles en tu Tsuma gaki G.

13. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, I'm not going to go on about last nights frost yet again, 'honest'. So a few hours after being out in my garden YET again spraying and spraying after -4°C last night..... whoops, I promised didn't I.
    So here are a few more of my maples that said good morning to me and so equally, "Good morning to the forum".
    Trompenburg 193.JPG Waterfall 194.JPG Beni otake 193.JPG Ruslyn in the pink 193.JPG Felice 193.JPG
    Trompenburg, Waterfall, Beni Otake, Ruslyn in the pink and Felice.

14. Doogie

Doogie New Member

Yes the shade is nice, They have talked about cutting some down. The picture is taken pointing East so that area would just get more morning Sun. We have our own Willow Oaks and the house to hopefully protect that area from mid morning on.

15. Acerholic

Morning sun is fine N, so if they cut them down, it shouldn't cause your maples too much of a problem at all.

16. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

'Geisha Gone Wild' waking with the sun this morning

04.17.21 07.14.33 AM.jpeg 04.17.21 08.14.08 AM.jpeg 04.17.21 08.16.09 AM.jpeg

17. Acerholic

18. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I know where they're from ;-)

I know some have (had?) doubts about the viability of cuttings from cultivars, but this nursery man knows his trade.

I was wondering if 1/ we could add his address in the "resources" section (or whatever it's called), but that means asking him first, and 2/, if he was willing to explain how he proceeds (but that means asking him first)...

What do you think ? Maybe we could give him a ring if you think that's a good idea...

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  19. AlainK

Two of some I gave my son. 'Butterfly' (from air-layer) is now about 2 m tall, and 'Lemon Lime Lace' really deserves its name :

acerp_but-vic_210417a.jpg acerp-lemlimelace_210417a.jpg acerp-lemlimelace_210417b.jpg

They're very healthy, he repotted them before the frosts : I'm afraid I passed him the virus... ^_^

20. AlainK

- 'Rainbow'
    - 'Atropurpureum' with 'Koto no Ito' in the bg
    - 'Seiryu' with flowers
    - 'Redwine'
    - 'Deshojo' with Malus 'Evereste' in the bg. (dozens of black bees (local, wild ones) and other bumblebees this afternoon)

acerp-rainbow01_210417a.jpg acerpatro02_210417a.jpg acerp-seiryu02_210417a.jpg acerp-redwine_210417a.jpg acerp-deshojo_210417a.jpg

Acer cappadocicum and Acer Cappadocicum 'Rubrum' : not that much difference on the leaves so far, but the bark colour is different :

acer-cappadoc_210417a.jpg acer-cappadoc-rubrum_210417a.jpg acer-cappadoc-2_210417a.jpg

Acer pseudosieboldianum ssp. takesimense :

acer-pseudosieb-tak_210417a.jpg

21. Acerholic

The forecast has just said just one more frost tonight, so I am very happy that this maybe just maybe the end of all the worry.
    So anyway, here are a few of mine taken this morning.. looking quite colourful in the early sunshine.
    They are Beni Hime, Amber ghost, Corallinum and First ghost.
    Beni hime 195.JPG Amber ghost 195.JPG Corallinum 195.JPG First ghost 195.JPG

22. TY_jmple

TY_jmple Active Member

Hi all. I am new to this forum and would like to be part of the community. These are some of my acer collection and they are leafing out slightly ahead in the South West of UK.
    1st - Koto-no-ito , Extravaganza
    2nd - Garnet, Taylor (my 3rd season, well-known not to thrive but lucky for me due to the mild winter here maybe)
    3rd - Enkan, Orange dream, Atropurpureum, Ukigumo, Seiryu,
    4th - Aureum and finally a tiny peaches & cream next to it.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

Good morning and welcome to the maples forum, always good to see someone else from the West Country.
    Your trees are looking great down there on the South coast, such a temperate climate you have which is perfect for maples and especially this Spring.
    Can I ask that you give the names of your maples so that members can comment on them if they want to.

Again, welcome to the UBC Maple Community.

24. TY_jmple

TY_jmple Active Member

Thanks for the warm Welcome! I've got:
    1st - Koto-no-ito , Extravaganza
    2nd - Garnet, Taylor (my 3rd season, well-known not to thrive but lucky for me due to the mild winter here maybe)
    3rd - Enkan, Orange dream, Atropurpureum, Ukigumo, Seiryu,
    4th - Aureum and finally a tiny peaches & cream next to it.

Nothing overly extraordinarily but lovely otherwise.

AlainK likes this.
  25. Acerholic

That's excellent and your welcome, I have also attached the names to your first posting for you. They are lovely maples and cultivars that will be around long after many others have disappeared.