Acer palmatum 'Wills devine'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This cultivar is not one that is sold in many places, I purchased it a few years ago and it has been in the ground for the past year. In all conditions it thrives in my garden. Not too fast a grower IMO. It gets full sun in the morning and afternoon shade from 4pm.
    These photos taken today 6th July 2020 after some strong Summer winds, with even some second flush growth.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

New growth on July 10th 2020 in my garden. This such a pretty little maple when the new leaves start, but can get overlooked at other times.
    It is not a fast grower. I've added this photo a few days after the last to show no I'll effects from the wind and heat.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

I was not expecting new growth on my Wills devine on the 20th July 2020, but here it is.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

7th August 2020, rain through the night thankfully, as it's going to be the hottest day this year in the UK. I will post my maples during and after this heatwave.
    This cultivar is throwing up some amazing leaf colour atm. I hope it continues.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

August 15th 2020, the photo diary continues as promissed. Everything apart from just a few have held up very well. The heavy rain over the past couple of days has helped a lot. I think we will get a reasonable Autumn show this year fingers crossed.
    My Wills Devine is changing colours so very quickly now, this could be my first Autumn posting in just a couple of weeks.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

22nd August 2020 and my Wills Devine gets more interesting every single day. It really is devine IMO.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

August 24th 2020 and I am keeping the photo diary going the best I can. So much rain and tomorrow 70mph winds forecast. Will the leaves be there for October!!!??
    A kaleidoscope of colours already, this is just amazing this year.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

August 29th 2020 and Autumn colours are very fast approaching. It even feels like we are in October today rather than August. 7° C at the moment.
    Even brighter now. !!!! The orange is amazing !!

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

4th September 2020 and the days seem to be getting shorter and shorter, which is a bit too fast for me. Busy time of the year in the garden for us maple growers, with less daylight !!!
    A morning with no dew or rain, but colours now popping up everywhere!!
    So much variation of colour on this cultivar. Tried to get really close.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

12th September 2020 and believe it or not, new growth is everywhere in my garden together with Autumn colours emerging. Temperatures of 31°C expected in a couple of days.
    Posted today as was asked about it a couple of days ago. Still wonderful colouring. Might not be to everyone's taste as I mentioned. But it is special IMO.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

13th September 2020 and the sun is shining and it is getting warmer and warmer once again. So I hope my photo conveys this lovely near Autumn day.
    What a difference a day makes !!!!

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

16th September 2020 and new growth is everywhere, due to this unseasonably warm weather.
    Continued diary on this one as promised. The weather seems to make absolutely no difference to my Wills Devine.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

3rd October 2020 with so much rain atm my Wills Devine looks like it's loving it.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

11th October 2020 and after a request yesterday, here is my Wills Devine with lots of early morning dew.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

17th October 2020 and still more questions on PM's about Wills Devine. Think this is going to be in a lot of collections in 2021.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

4th November 2020 and the first frost of this Autumn has arrived, so with the few left that have got leaves in my garden, here is my Wills Devine curling up due the cold.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

23rd November 2020 and even after winds, rain and a hard frost, my Wills Devine can still deliver.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

12th April 2021 and here we go for another season for my Wills Devine. I don't see this one on the forum too often, so I want to promote it as a maple that gives and gives all year long.
    Wills Devine 186.JPG

19. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

'Will's Devine'

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

Lovely D, is your pine straw a natural drop or brought in? If it's natural drop from overhead trees, then no wonder your trees love their location. Sets them off beautifully as well.

21. LoverOfMaples

It's all natural from white pines.

22. Acerholic

That's so good D, perfect for keeping the soil just the other side of neutral also.

23. Acerholic

22nd April 2021 and I wanted to get a close up of my Wills Devine as it has had to cope with 15 overnight frosts this month. The worst time of the year for these to hit.
    But as you can see it is very wet from my twice a day spraying with rainwater. That's after sunset and just before sunrise if anyone wants to know. It does work.
    Wills Devine 190.jpg

24. LoverOfMaples

'Will's Devine'. I think they are the same to D.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

Copied from Will D thread.