What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right.
    Yes the the climatic change caused by humans is a fact and a real matter.
    But on another point of view, we should not be afraid or worried with the recent weather as you said very well that winters and springs used to be like that and worst.
    I would be more worried about how the summers are getting more hotter and hotter each year.
    I am glad to live in place full of green woods so it helps to handle the very warm days and give us fresh air and some shade.
    Some years ago we used to never know if we would have a full month of rain and hoping for at least one week of sun in August and now it's almost guaranteed that each summer is like if we were in Spain or south of France.
    I do enjoy it but it is not normal.

I remember last year with all the humans's activities stopping(cars,planes,industries), how clean was the sky, I had never seen that in my life and the nature was absolutely gorgeous, coincidence?

Anyway, I feel this season will be as good as last one for our maples to show beautiful colors and we will have tons of pictures to share, and that's my only matter atm : )

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Your comments on this I is what we saw here in England. Sitting in the garden was about the best it's been in many years, probably decades tbh.
    Let's hope with the onset of electric cars etc etc, nature will recover and life will be a little more comfortable for everyone. Not that most people can ever afford one.......

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

There will always be people making money out of everything. "I absoloootely love it", she says :

And what about almonds orchards and bees in California ?

It makes me think of the "Four Pests Campaign" in communist China in the 60s.

Now, orchards in many places are pollinezd by hand because 1/ the birds were wiped out, 2/ the pests destroyed the cultures, 3/ the chemicals to destroy the pests left no insects for the trees to be pollinized.

Almonds orchards and bees in California ? See : "Like sending bees to war"

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    dicky5ash likes this.
  4. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

@AlainK very interesting article..I was completely oblivious to this practice!

In other news very hard frost here last night..frozen hail bonded to my car and pots! Slightly surprised given it was a few degrees colder towards the end of last week...like -2. We have several snow showers yesterday but nothing settled. My only hope is that everything was nice and damp last night.

5. Acerholic

It's forecast is -5°C here tonight, so I think it's coming my way from Northampton...lol Do enjoy your day out this week at Westonbirt btw R.

dicky5ash likes this.
  6. dicky5ash

Blimey-5!!!!!

7. dicky5ash

Morning D. Going to Westonbirt on Thursday :)

8. Acerholic

Fantastic R, the weather looks good so hope you have a great day.

9. Acerholic

Oh yes, this is getting silly!!!

10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

-5 is pretty dire. :( we had -3 forecast last night, but say -0.7, which isn't much of a problem. They say we get a respite tonight, the -2 Wed and Thurs. As always, wait-and-see!

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  11. Acerholic

If nature is playing a joke on us for Spring 2021, then it's gone just toooo far IMO. Enough is enough.
    But, I'm spraying every night after dark, so its keeping my trees just about OK. My delicate Katsura tree leaves not so good though. But they will re bud.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  12. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples good morning Luke, just seen the snow on the news for Oxfordshire, hope your babies are OK ?

13. Acerholic

13th April 2021 and this is what I faced in my garden first thing this morning. Surely it's got to get better now!!!?
    13th April 2021 frost.JPG 13th April 2021.JPG

14. AlainK

Light frost yesterday (-1.5), no frost today (+1.5), tomorrow might be under zero again. More trees than previously spotted have suffered light damage, new shoots, esp. at the top, have turned brown now...

15. emery

Same here, except will be below freezing tonight and probably tomorrow. -1.5C this morning, and starting to see some brown out in the garden.

16. Acerholic

Looking at @AlainK and E @emery postings and the fact that I was out spraying my trees at 0200hrs and then again at 0730 hrs this morning makes me think, WHY!!!! do we do this to ourselves.
    But then when it's a lovely June day and the second flush has kicked in and we are sipping something cold whilst enjoying looking at our trees, then 'I know WHY'.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  17. AlainK

I couldn't agree more.

I have several mints, so it can be either cold when friends visit you ("Mojito", "à consommer avec modération"), or hot, green tea with mint, and since I shouldn't take too much sugar, honey (real honey, local) is better. With grated fresh ginger, it's even more refreshing... ;°)

Shin-Deshojo and dicky5ash like this.
  18. Acerholic

Regardez-nous en train de rêver d'été et de quoi boire !!! Mais si cela nous permet de traverser ces nuits froides, alors pourquoi pas !!

Shin-Deshojo and AlainK like this.
  19. dicky5ash

showing off again D..shall we try Welsh next

Shin-Deshojo and Acerholic like this.
  20. Acerholic

Now that would be a step tooo far R. Or would it. Lol.
    Nawr byddai hynny'n gam yn rhy bell R.

Shin-Deshojo and dicky5ash like this.
  21. AlainK

O fy duw!

(Mae'r edau hon yn mynd yn gnau!)

;0)

Shin-Deshojo, Acerholic and dicky5ash like this.
  22. Acerholic

I think it is lol..... Back to the weather in English.

It's darned cold again!!!

23. emery

-2.1°C, and likely to do the same for the next two mornings. Yuck.

24. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

It is...
    We had the third consecutive frost night and while I am glad I have a greenhouse and that the potted maples that are outside didn't completely leaf out yet.
    I am worried for my youngs 'Taimin Nishiki' and 'sawa chidori' that I should not have planted until May I guess.
    They have not much leaves and if they don't survive i ll be kind of sad.

25. Acerholic

Same here E, tbh I'm getting a bit tired of this, physically and emotionally. Spraying after midnight each night and at 06-0700 hrs every day is quite waring tbh.
    But the forecast is looking good from Sunday onwards and no signs of any frosts for 10 days after that. So we nearly there!!!!?