What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

So your not voting for Frexit then Alain...Lol

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Certainly not !

I think a tribalistic view of society belongs to the stone age. Every day, we can see the damage what communautarian, nationalist, sectarian ideas can lead to. And how they can lead naive people to...

I think I'll stop this conversation here, PM me if you want to debate further.

Nik likes this.
  3. Acerholic

No debate Alain, I go with the flow.
    Back to the weather and Maples..... No frosts tonight and our trees are happy.

4. AlainK

I was hoping for the rain : I think I'll have to water my trees tomorrow morning, I don't trust the forecasts any longer.

5. Acerholic

It's forecast here tomorrow for the first time in over 3 weeks, but as you say, can you trust the forecasts these days!!

6. AlainK

I wonder...

7. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

All of my potted maples have been in my workshop now for over a week , severe frosts issued for every night since last week and i haven't seen a single frozen anything !!! Pulled them all out today to get some sun on them plus a good watering was going to leave them out but again more frost predicted again for the next few days , so everybody back inside again for tonight , never seen so many weather reports for frost in our areas then nothing happens. Must admit though they are all looking well and should start to unfurl nicely when they get back out, quite a few are already out but not taking any chances. The ground guys are coping well nothing out to much to cause concern ? Probably tempted fate here posting this , will know doubt have severe snow storms in a few weeks :) :) Roll on mid May.

8. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Interesting stuff D, can you pls give me the link (either here or PM if you like) for where you got the text? TIA. We're meant to discuss this soon.

Actually a bit of rain here now though don't expect it to amount to anything. I took pots out of storage yesterday and did give them a water, everything was really dry. A bit of rain as we're having now never really seems to have much effect on pots!

9. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Shin-Deshojo and Acerholic like this.
  10. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

It is not a surprise as I was expecting this to happen, but still...it is very sad.

AlainK likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Of course E, here it is.
    Importing and exporting plants

12. Acerholic

Good morning I, yes it is sad but in time it will get sorted out. Maybe not this year, but I'm sure it will eventually.

13. Acerholic

And as you know, if you bring them outside when the forecast says no frost, you can bet your life it will happen. There is a saying for this, but no swearing on the forum, Lol.

14. Shin-Deshojo

Godd morning D,
    I hope so.

15. Acerholic

Good morning @Junglekeeper, this is what I've been doing for years with my maples and although not 100% effective I have found it to be 80% which is not too bad IMO. An old maple grower who is sadly no longer with us, gave me this tip in the 80's
    Would you mind if I shared this thread with the maples forum? I will add a tag.
    I think a lot who don't follow this particular forum would be very interested.
    Thankyou for sharing this.

16. Acerholic

Hey everyone, do have a look at the posting by Jungle keeper, it is further down the thread, but well worth the read, especially with more frosts on the way and in future years this may become more of the norm in Spring.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  17. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks very much. It seems to just say "make sure you have permission" for export, therefore I feel sure the seed exchange will send to the EU without compunction. The signup specifies not to signup unless you're sure you have permission to receive them. )P

Bit of welcome rain here today, that quiet sort, haven't checked the temps but feels mild.

On the frost protections measures, it's nothing new to say, but we should be aware the ecological side-effects of our protections. I saw an article in the French paper (well app): "Rhone Valley covered with a cloud of pollution from burning to protect fruit trees" The guy I posted in the Loire burns roundballs, but I can tell you those things don't burn without an accelerant (too tight) so they were clearly soaked in something. Water use in the wine industry is already a huge problem, happily in France there isn't much irrigation but the waste in production is prodigious. In areas like CA, already very short of water, vine irrigation consumes a remarkable amount, in a state where some municipalities are banning grass lawns.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  18. Acerholic

Agree E, but to date I haven't seen the permission, unless you know otherwise?

19. Acerholic

Lunchtime news here saying possible 'snow' tonight. Yes, 'Snow'.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  20. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Actually had snow pellets fall at around 03.00 this morning , cant ever say i have seen these before ?? had to 'google' the meaning this morning when the local weather forecaster told of the flurry we had in the early hours in their daily report. Just looked like someone had covered the ground with perlite very strange. Then this afternoon we had actual snow flurries (flakes) on and off for around two hours , didn't settle though, everything's gone as quickly as it came. This month still has a few tricks up it's sleeve for sure , just waiting till we take our eye off the ball.

Glad i put everything back under cover yesterday !!

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  21. Acerholic

I saw this many years ago on a night shift and although it was frozen pellets it was strangely warm. I am going back over 30 years though and not seen it since.
    As you say M, April has a few more tricks up it's sleeve for us all. Sunday into Monday doesn't look to promising, but after that maybe ... just maybe some warmth!!!!?

22. Shin-Deshojo

We had exactly this last week, except that it is pretty common each year here but it is usually in march.
    Let's hope may will be warmer and we can finally enjoy beeing out more than 10 min.
    The forecast say it is actually +9°C right now then -1° for the next 3 nights...doesn't make any sense.
    I won't be surprised if we get some more snow in the next coming days.

23. Acerholic

Well it looks like the UK has another six nights of frosts, two at -3° C from tonight followed by four at -1° to 0° C. A constant hit will make the hardiest of maples struggle.
    So the spraying at night will continue !!! And probably the mornings as well for next few days.

24. Shin-Deshojo

Sorry to hear about your forecast D, I hope your maples will go through that and that we can soon sleep a bit more lol.

We had snow again this morning but it didn't stand.
    This spring is worst than the past winter...

25. Acerholic

Is this the sign of things to come ? But are we forgetting how it used to be. Being an oldie I remember very deep snow here in the South of England in late April in 1963. So no Spring grass for my horse until late May.
    Perhaps we have been too used to warm Springs and now the pattern has reversed to how it should be. Just thinking out loud, as tbh I have absolutely no idea what's going on.