What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

You are quite right it’s:
    Acer x conspicuum 'Red Flamingo

AlainK likes this.
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Rich, yours is A. rubescens 'Red Flamingo'. Sometimes (wrongly) labeled as A. x conspicuum 'Red Flamingo'

There's a Toona sinensis 'Flamingo' and probably lots of other once around.

Whoops didn't see the other reply.

3. dicky5ash

Thank you for confirming and it was an interesting read on the wine front...my US experience was in Florida.

In relation to the weather..I think I’ve been extremely lucky..thus far.. I’ve just unrapped mine.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I think you have R, I am very pleased for your trees.
    No frosts here last night for me, so I am a happy boy today. Unlike yesterday....... lol.

dicky5ash likes this.
  5. Acerholic

I remember this one from 2020 R and still love it.

6. dicky5ash

Thanks D. It seems happy in its spot. I desperately need to sort my labelling out!! I hope your trees recover ok. In other news am off to Westonbirt next week :)

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Here we go again, weather forecast for my area this Sunday into Monday just in, -3°C. How's everywhere else?
    Looking ahead, I think that's it though for this cold snap.

8. Acerholic

Have a great time R, lots of photos from you hopefully. We haven't had our second jab yet and as my wife is vulnerable, it looks like it will be Spring 2022 for us.

9. dicky5ash

That’s a shame hopefully you will be able to go in the summer all well and good, I’ve not been in the Sping before.

10. Acerholic

We have only ever gone in the Autumn, so your photos will be very well received R.
    We have always done Sheffield Park in the Spring, if you ever get the chance, do give it a try. Quite a long drive for you though.

dicky5ash likes this.
  11. emery

We had 1.8C minimum last night, well warmer than forecast. There was fog, which helped.

Our long-term is showing a slight freeze Tues morning, doesn't look serious so far here.

Acerholic, Shin-Deshojo and dicky5ash like this.
  12. Acerholic

Thats good E, my wife and I were only chatting over breakfast this morning how difficult it must be for you to protect a garden of that size. But tbh, it would be a problem that we would love to have.

13. emery

It's really just impossible to protect it. You learn to live with the losses, sad though they are.

14. Acerholic

Very philosophical E.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  15. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I've just noticed that some of my trees have suffered from the frost, like 'Starfish' and a few others. The most severely hit is 'Phoenix' :

acerp-starfish_210409a.jpg acerph02m01_210409.jpg

They'll recover...

emery likes this.
  16. Acerholic

That is so sad to see Alain, I hope you are not going to get the -4° C on Sunday night that we are here. I will be spraying everything very late that night. Might even set the alarm for 3 am and spray again, yes, I am that paranoid. My neighbours will testify to this, lol.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  17. emery

Yes I was having a bit of a snoop around earlier too. There is some damage, but it's surprisingly light considering. I suppose I'll notice more as the days go by -- and we'll see what happens next week!

Unfortunately your beautiful A. elegantulum was one of the worst hit. Though I don't think it's in danger at all. Of the two morifoliums I was worried about, one is completely burnt, the other seems unscathed.

18. AlainK

I have a couple I can send you, about 30-40 cm tall, from the MS seed exchange, if need be...

Acerholic likes this.
  19. Acerholic

@AlainK

Of the two morifoliums I was worried about, one is completely burnt, the other seems unscathed.
    I have a couple I can send you, about 30-40 cm tall, from the MS seed exchange, if need be...

Your kindness does not go unnoticed Alain.

20. AlainK

That's not kindness, I'm just trying to get rid of some so I can make space for some other species... ;0)

BTW, any idea of how things will turn out because of the "Brexit" ? I'm thinking of the seed exchange, and also the possibility to send, or receive trees from GB and Northern Ireland...

21. Acerholic

IMO the seed exchange is going to be difficult in 2021-22, as a new certificate is required between the EU and GB.
    This I have copied below from the government website that shows the difficulty.
    As the UK has now left the EU, the EU plant passport is no longer valid in GB. Post Brexit you must have a phytosanitary certificate (PC) to import plant material from the EU. This includes almost all plants for planting, most seeds, cut flowers and tuber vegetables such as potatoes from the EU.
    This would be an admin nightmare to send seed to and from the UK and EU IMO.
    Perhaps the UK will have to be left out of the scheme until it is resolved. ( could be a long time).

D

22. emery

Does it say about export? Current plan is to base in the UK, collect and send seed from there. So I don't think there will be any import to the UK.

Do you know if sending to the EU will be a problem D?

And, thanks Alain! :) I may have managed to give away a bunch of A spicatum today, guy wants to plant a mini-forest! Not sure if it would work with palmatum.

23. Acerholic

From what I can see E, there will be a problem as cited by the RHS.
    It will be down to the EU to make an announcement on importing seeds from the UK. But as you will see in the message a phytosanitary certificate will be required for every package sent out. This is how I read it. A bit like CITES, a bit of a nightmare to organise and get right.

Here is there latest message on 'export' to the EU after Brexit.

Exporting plants to the EU and third countries
    It is advisable to always contact the plant health authority of the country you wish to export the plants to, in order to find out what plant health regulations are in place.

Following Brexit, GB has become a third country (i.e. a country outside of the EU) and will need to meet the EU third country import requirements. Third-country rules are likely apply on all plants for planting, wood products and wood packaging and it is likely that you will need to provide a phytosanitary certificate (PC) with the material you are sending. Some types of plant material are prohibited from entering the EU.

You can obtain a PC from the Plant Health Authority in the country where the plant was grown. There is likely to be a cost involved with this service. To find out more about exporting to the EU and third countries.

24. AlainK

Another issue, one of the "details" that brexiteers never thought about, or rather ignored, like the consequences on more serious problems in the so-called "United" Kingdom. Well, I can still go to Ireland (and Norn Irn ?), and even Turkey, Switzerland or Norway without a passport, good to know for my next holidays... ;-)

There was a debate about "International Maple Society". There are still at least 26 European countries we can freely exchange with, including Greece, the birthplace of some, well, famous famous people.

Now that Ireland is the only country with English as one of its official languages in Europe, maybe a new branch of the "Society" should choose a different language : Latin, French, Italian, Irish Gaelic (I doubt it, so... "strange") or other ? <LOL>

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  25. AlainK

Oh really ? I thought it only impacted the supply of toilet paper. But let's not worry, things will be straightened up, very soon I'm sure.

Er...