Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The long established problematic history is of it warming up and coaxing things out only for quite cold air to come over from the continent as late as May some years. With of course the eastern part of the UK tending to be the most affected.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

So very very true, and it seems to be getting worse. It used to be the North of the UK that could not trust the possibility of a rogue frost, but now here in the deep South of England also. The times they are a changing, as the great song goes.....

3. Nik

Nik Contributor

The volunteer daffodil in the yard is now in bloom. Here is a progression of the flowers opening. Not too bad, I guess I will keep it.

Attached Files:

pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

Definitely N.

5. Acerholic

Even though I registered -7 ° C in my garden the night before last, my Hostas are breaking through. Here is 'The British are coming'.
    Hosta The British are coming 184.JPG

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  6. Nik

Nik Contributor

Glory of the snow, also volunteers, will have to be moved later on to a more appropriate location.

Attached Files:

7. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    @Nik
    Volunteers, no less!
    I like blue flowers.

I have tried for years to grow those — no go :(
    ———
    Nik: I wonder if you have fall foliage deciduous trees in your garden — I assume YES!

I think it’d be fun to take spring , summer , fall blaze - then winter pix and then compare in this garden tour (ie put the photos together side by side)

8. Acerholic

Always one of the first to flower in Spring and a lovely sight wherever it is N.

9. Nik

Nik Contributor

Yes, we have plenty of deciduous trees in the yard, mostly red maples and red and white oaks.
    I will try to make a composition of pictures as you suggested. No promises for fall color though, some years are good, an some not so much...
    As for blue flowers, I would like to recommend Lobelia erinus, the most vivid blue in my opinion. It also shows up as a volunteer in the yard. I remember seeing planters in Iceland that were fantastic. I am sure they are available in any garden center. Too bad they are an annual in our area.
    Best examples of primary colors in flowers

Georgia Strait likes this.
  10. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Guess where I'll be for the next 2 weeks . . .

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

The garden beckons Margot and about time too.... 'Enjoy'.

12. Georgia Strait

Just reminding Margot with a kind poke that yes the sun is out right now above all that grey and cold wind!

Meanwhile here are some garden tour pix fr our cottage at the coast - and I inserted a DriveBC webcam of the snow ice up not so far away on the Coquihalla (Acerholic: a major freeway fr Lower Mainland to Thompson Okanagan (thé dry sagebrush side of the mountains))
    ————
    I am not sure what order these pix appear so will just list some plant id’s

White daffodil is “thulia” I think
    (EDIT correction: it is Thalia daffodil )

Yellow mini daffodil is my all time fav “tête à tête

Sempervivum w cold rain drops

Old and new growth on green plant I always forget name of - easy care control ground cover - sweet woodruff

The bronze leaf geranium is “Espresso” - grown more for interesting foliage than its faded purple blossom

My old English mixing bowl I sentimentally cannot bear to toss out (it is cracked) so it’s now a shabby chic garden art w tête à tête and some curly willow and a heuchera (palace purple?) and a hint of native sword fern (I swear by them for year round decor and easy care and can live well w little any of summer water - cross fingers we don’t get the plague that Margot and RonB have discussed in past few months)

Grape hyacinth - I have to buy each yr cuz my older ones come up “blind” w tons of leaves only

Ah yes - for @Acerholic - maples — thèse are a couple of my fav Acer circinatum which is native to Pac NW and then I grow clematis in them — one is Ville de Lyon and the other is blue something (alpina)

And we have armandii scrambling in an old Hawthorne tree

And the ubiquitous forsythia which is very cheerful everywhere in this town - yes, it gets some Gibsons Special haircuts too (Willard observes while scouting Sunshine Coast cherry blossoms)

EDIT - forgot photos - again

PS - And the purple is PJM Rhodo which is nice compact tidy shrub with an unusual foliage scent — I think it was “invented” in Maine USA decades ago

And a large bleeding heart plant - I think it’s Valentine w the darker burgundy stems -

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Nik, Acerholic, pmurphy and 1 other person like this.
  13. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

What a lovely selection of beautiful, colourful spring blossoms! I see a Lewisia cotyledon too and a burgundy-leaved plant I can't tell for sure is either a sempervivum or perhaps an aeonium? Your PJM rhodo is an inspiration - for some reason mine doesn't do well but I moved it last year so it may improve.

14. Georgia Strait

Yes Lewisia — I have several in a nice low bowl that I ignore and they love me for it! The white one is early cuz I bought it at end of season and pushed it in the soil — i keep it out of the rain which helps

Ok - several burgundy leaves:
    Heuchera (next to my broken English mixing bowl yard art)

Yes - hen and chicks

And a geranium called Espresso
    Here is some info fr Digging Dog Nursery website attached below - I bought mine on the coast at a proper nursery (ie not big box) and I can’t kill it which says something ! That said - it is not a rampant spreader like some other cranesbill - and it does not get sloppy either — I think if you need (yes) another plant - go for a couple of these. I have another one I like called Brookside ... it is a lovely blue flower that I find is long-standing.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

Good morning Georgia, beautiful with a blue sky behind. And why not Clematis, companion planting is wonderful also.

16. Nik

Nik Contributor

Everything is slowly waking up... Here are some royal fern fiddleheads and a Japanese maple seedling (2nd year).

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

Amazing macro photography N.

18. Georgia Strait

Wow! A chilly night and ice snow on the mtn highways — and now Margot’s sunshine forever weather prediction (above) has started today (And I am outside in the garden screen-timing)

——-
    More Coast garden tour

... a couple of pix that connect @Acerholic in UK w the Pacific NW

Primroses - how much more English - are they a genuinely native flower - would the Romans have seen them growing wild?

A friend at the Coast grew these “Cowichan” primroses from seed using legally imported seed fr France

Yes as Brit as the name Barnhaven company name sounds - they are somewhere in France

Margot will know the name “Cowichan” and the Barnhaven website has an interesting history detailed about how many decades ago, a lady down south of Duncan BC at “Cowichan Station” (i suppose Dinters would be quite close by) on the railroad bred (correct term?) them w pollen.

The curious thing is that the museum and avid gardeners I have spoken to over there on “The Island” do not seem to know this plant name (hmm Nanaimo peach, Cowichan primrose :)

Photos taken this past wk attached below.

The hail (ice rain) has bruised however these brave small flowers soldier on

The darker colour burgundy is really outstanding - it looks like velvet fabric

The one color I don’t have is blue purple - of course I covet that one! Too busy thinking about blue to enjoy the intricacies of the pinks and burgundies blooming in front of me. Lesson.

Barnhaven Cowichans

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  19. Acerholic

Haven't seen this colour in our woodland, but the Primula vulgaris or English primrose in pale yellow and white is very evident at this time of the year. But the point is well made Georgia and it is nice that there is a link.

20. Nik

Nik Contributor

And here is where the glory of the snow volunteers came from. This is our neighbors’ walkway.
    Their garden is amazing, with a little pond and Japanese maple on the side, just beautiful. I hope I will be able to take some pictures and post them here (with their permission of course).

Attached Files:

Georgia Strait and Acerholic like this.
  21. Acerholic

A shame you can't post the scent N, very pretty.

22. Georgia Strait

Stunning and I like that the leaves are small and fade away to be covered in summer/fall by _____?

QUESTION - is that your brick driveway - I ask because I am curious about edging material — nothing like snooping on someone’s garden fr a few thousand miles and time zones away :)

23. Nik

Nik Contributor

...covered in summer/fall by Japanese painted ferns and mosses.
    It is a small section of our neighbors’ shade garden, facing North.

Their driveway is reddish colored gravel and the walkway to the front door is what is pictured, the reddish brick.
    Our driveway is asphalt and the 20 yards or so walkway to the front door it black/gray gravel.
    Here is a picture with a small section of the driveway and a side area covered with the same gravel as our walkway.

Attached Files:

24. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Well we've done all we can to prep for our fence (which is being installed tomorrow) so after I finally finished trimming and pruning some of the shrubs along the fence line I thought I'd take a quick peek to see what the gardens were up to (a more in-depth inspection will have to wait until the new fence is installed and the temporary fence - which is currently cutting the backyard in half - is removed).
    I also discovered a second hummingbird nest in an inconvenient place - she made her nest on the wires of the patio light string inside our gazebo. This means I can not work on the waterfall or set up the gazebo for us to use just yet because I don't want to frighten her off.

Ornamental cherry 'Fudan Zakura'
    Mouse plants are starting to appear
    Holly fern
    Ostrich fern
    Male fern (it's interesting to see how the different ferns unfurl)
    Daffodil 'Kiwi Sunset'
    Anna's hummingbird

...thought I'd throw in the last photo - the view off Grouse Mountain from our front yard taken yesterday morning.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

Views to die for P. I can only dream of waking up to scenery like that. What a wonderful country you do live in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.