Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Thanks Lorenzo. I had a small one but sold it last November/December when I thought I had to sell them all. A lady came a long way to pic up a couple of maples and when she saw the Manyo No Sato is was bright yellow. She said ‘whatever that is, I want it!’ Lol

LorenzoDec likes this.
  2. Luke’s Maples

I agree. The closer you look the more beauty you see. It is in a class of its own.

3. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Heres a few photos of mine in the summer, 60% shade..some years it’s really white and others more speckled

Attached Files:

Mani, Nik, LorenzoDec and 3 others like this.
  4. Luke’s Maples

Lovely mature specimen Rich :-)

5. Luke’s Maples

Love the trunk shape in the first pick

6. dicky5ash

Thanks.. I picked it up years back at Hampton Court Garden show..takes a while for the variegation to settle down..I have a few other smaller ones that are about 60/80cm that do not go proper white..we will see this year.. the trunk in the photo is osakazuki.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Perfect placement amongst the reds R. Lovely maple..

8. Acerholic

Do you still have the whites when Osakasuki is doing it's thing in the Autumn? What a combo if it does.

9. Luke’s Maples

I know you are a bit like me. I love the shape of the trunks and root flare etc just as much as the beautiful leaves themselves.

dicky5ash likes this.
  10. Luke’s Maples

I actually don’t have Osakazuki anymore as it got got sold last November. I really should replace it. They say that Osakazuki, Hogyoku and Ichigyoji are the perfect threesome to have as a planting combination. I have the other two so it makes sense. I’ll keep a look out for one about the same size/shape as the others I think ;-)

Acerholic and dicky5ash like this.
  11. Luke’s Maples

Also need to pick up some black squat 15 and 20 ltr plastic pots. Good excuse for a little trip out tomorrow morning lol

dicky5ash likes this.
  12. dicky5ash

Errr I can’t find a photo with them both in late Autumn colour..I think it goes more speckled by the time osakazuki is going into nuclear mode..my placement of trees is more about sun tolerance than visual affect..not got to that stage yet lol

13. Luke’s Maples

I have an Esk Sunset grafted about 5ft high so I’m hoping in time that should help provide some shade where needed. It’s in a pot so I can move it around depending on the time of year etc

Acerholic and dicky5ash like this.
  14. Acerholic

Totally agree with that theory Luke. But remember it is quite a slow grower.

15. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Don't have that problem with mine :):) this won't be out for weeks yet thankfully, mine can stay like this as long as they want or until it's safe for them to emerge in the warmth , with out Jack Frost making a late appearance.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

What a beautiful Manyo-No-Sato M. Definatly worth keeping it in for a couple of more weeks yet. Although where you are, the old saying of, 'Don't put them out until May's without', probably holds very true.

ROEBUK likes this.
  17. ROEBUK

Here's my very first Ki hachijo bought from Pat as a small 3ltr graft many years back , lifted last fall into a big 80 ltr and its coming on nicely , again won't be out for a few more weeks yet :) hopefully will see better fall colours over the next few years , expect to see more reds with the golds and yellows just like my other from Pat again some years back now , again started in the ground then lifted some four years back now, and did this produce colours!! then moved it on last year it's now next to a koi carp pond in a large garden near to where i live and the guy is delighted with it. So hope this one goes the same way in a few years.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  18. Acerholic

How many years back if you don't mind me asking M? 80ltrs is a big specimen.
    I do like this cultivar btw.

19. ROEBUK

That's an old saying D , just had a email from a nursery in the midlands telling me all my petunias ordered in Nov last year will be shipped out on Monday, that's going to be fun can't get in the workshop for maples!!!!

20. Acerholic

I'm an old person M, lol.
    Tbh regarding your Petunias, I have plants everywhere atm, so I understand your predicament. It's going to be a problem everywhere in the UK for the next several days at least.

ROEBUK likes this.
  21. ROEBUK

Bought that in 2005 and planted straight out, was just getting to big and started pruning/shaping last summer ready for the fall lifting a very compact grower i find. Few picks from last year when i started pruning and a pick of the other one i sold as well , beautiful colours so hoping this will be better?

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic and Acirón like this.
  22. Acerholic

That is an absolute beaut M. How you let them go to others I just don't know how you do it.

23. ROEBUK

Sometimes wonder that myself to be honest , but if i kept everything i have had over the past decades i would be living in a field by now !!! The vast majority of my trees have all been purchased when they were youngsters then planted out and left to develop over the years , lifted root pruned re potted out and shaped etc etc, kept for a few more years admired then moved on to make way for the hundreds more behind them who are going through the same process and again they will be moved on at a later time.

Like the old saying D "So many trees not enough time" lol !! Have some belters coming on at present :)

24. Luke’s Maples

Johin being one of them lol ;-)

ROEBUK likes this.
  25. Acerholic

We will all look forward to seeing them over the coming months M. Your trees give a lot of enjoyment on the forum.