Is there a larger Rhododendron than this anywhere in the world?

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by Acerholic, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Width-wise, I've never heard of anything like that. The tallest is seemingly in India, at around 108ft / 33m.

3. Acerholic

Yes, I think this one will be hard to beat.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Wonderful specimen. Presumably the cultivar is 'Cornish Red'. Otherwise the one in India is an example of the wild species Rhododendron arboreum. I imagine it is located in a tree sided canyon where there is a combination of good soil, wind protection and side shading that has both enabled it to live long enough to get that tall without toppling yet induced it to stretch for better light exposure.

5. Acerholic

The one thing with Rhododendron's is that they grow very well here in the UK, but somtimes a little too well as we are all aware. I think if anybody has ever visited Exbury Gardens here in Hampshire, they will testify at their suitability to native soil.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

As long as that native soil isn't chalk.

7. Acerholic

That's very true.

8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I was a little confused at "The huge arboreum smithii, also known as the Old Cornish rhododendron species ...".
    I found a History of Rhododendrons page: JARS v44n4 - A History of Rhododendrons (vt.edu) that's like reading about old friends - almost everyone mentioned has a trail named for him at UBCBG. Anyway, it says

9. Acerholic

The Cornish Red is still being sold in Cornwall by local nurseries and online. They advertise it as getting to 80ft tall and 120ft wide at maturity. Now who on earth has a garden in the UK large enough to accommodate that.
    But I bet people with a postage stamp size garden still buy it !!!