Give your Maples a drink in March

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

zfrittz and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  3. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Good morning D,
    I hope you have some wonderfull sunny days like we have here these days.

Nice to hear my friend, I am sur you will see improvements of your roots and growths in only one season, and it will be a solid base for a futur ground plantation.
    Have a good day.

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

I will update the forum on how this goes over the next couple of years, but from yours and others experience I am very hopeful of some strong root growth. Thanks I for the tip.

5. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Good morning D,
    You will already check for yourself the growth and health of the roots, remember to be aware of the irrigation and the fertilizer since they consume much more water and fertilizer because the roots have so aerated.

Shin-Deshojo and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

Good morning to you to J, thankyou very much for the info, I will do exactly as you reccomend. I will be potting them up this Sunday when no signs of overnight frost.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  7. Acerholic

I thought I would add a little to this thread, as here where I live there has been no rain for 3 weeks now. It's the 7th April and although we have had a lot of severe frosts, our trees need that water at the roots to get through this dry and cold spell.
    So although the thread title is, 'Give your Maples a drink in March', do give them a drink now in April. The old saying of 'April showers' seems a distant thing these days. Over the last 5 years April is very, very dry.

Dry roots when trying to bud and leaf out makes for a 'very' sickly tree.

D

8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Yeah, you mentioned "snow storms" a couple of days ago, and I was also expecting some rain/hail/snow, but nothing.

I didn't want to water my potted trees because we were supposed to be bound for a climate armageddon, but I will water them this evening, because I can see some of them with leaves beginning to droop. Who can you trust these days ? Not the weathermen... Sorry, weatherpersons.

9. Acerholic

Yes I did, but like you nothing came, even though I @Shin-Deshojo was blowing it my way, lol.
    It is so easy at this time of year and especially if it's cold like it is atm, to forget that our trees need water. Then people wonder why their trees look frazzled in the Summer.
    But as you say, you will water this evening and a deluge will come, you are right Alain, you just can't trust the weather forecasts these days.

10. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Typical, especially in summer : "Shall I, must I...", OK; let's spend an hour watering, then you wake up in the morning and thare was a storm, the pots are soaking wet, and sh***, I forgot my open toolcase outside... ^_^

(Dry all the tools, put them in gas-oil for a couple of days to stop the rust)

Acerholic likes this.