Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

For almost 24 hours now the lower west coast of BC has been treated to a most wonderful rain/hail/wind storm caused by "an intense Pacific cold front which has moved (slowly) across the south coast". Although it has caused wide-spread power outages and ferry sailings (with unfortunate economic implications for many), it has not seemed to have done any major physical damage.

I am amazed that my garden seems not to have noticed and even seedlings in pots look fine. All that's left is to snuggle in bed and enjoy the turmoil outside.

Attached Files:

Nik, pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Plants have been around a lot longer than us, they know how to cope however much we think we need to help, lol.
    It is great to watch the storms, as long as we are inside safe and snug.

3. Acerholic

The sun is shining and my Magnolia white star has now opened. What a lovely day.
    Magnolia white star 714.JPG

Nik, pmurphy and Margot like this.
  4. Nik

Nik Contributor

Appreciating the tiny signs of spring in the yard... it is almost here. Way behind all of you..

Attached Files:

Acerholic, Margot and pmurphy like this.
  5. Acerholic

But oh so close N.They are about to burst.

6. Acerholic

A very bright start to the day and 20°C expected later. I had my first coffee in the garden and although my Daphne odora is just starting to go over, along comes my Osmanthus burkwoodii to keep the scent going.
    IMG_20210329_112321872.jpg

7. Margot

I so admire people like you@Acerholic who get up early and enjoy the morning hours. As far as I can tell, it is not even 7am there where you live; almost 11pm here. I am a committed night owl who undoubtedly will never know what she is missing.

I've never grown Osmanthus burkwoodii but perhaps should, like you, to carry on from my Daphne odora that has perhaps another week of fabulous scent to enjoy.

8. Acerholic

The continuation of scent in the garden is something I've always tried to achieve and the early morning when all is so quiet except for bird song is something I've always enjoyed. I think it's in my blood so to speak from very young days ploughing up and down a swimming pool at 6 am every weekday, to later being on tbe golf corse with the early morning dew and the beautiful smell of grass underfoot as the sun starts to heat everything up.
    Do try that early morning coffee in the garden this year and just sit watch and listen, you won't regret it and maybe your habits might change. Well maybe lol !!? Good night sleep tight.

Margot likes this.
  9. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I finally got to an area of the yard that has been inaccessible lately and noticed a couple of things...

Hardy almonds are starting to blossom
    A hummingbird nest in the cedars
    Fern leaf peonies, these little things were seed grown and now in their 3rd year, and all of 10cm tall - a labor of love :)

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  10. Acerholic

Good morning P, wonderful variety you have in your garden, can I ask if the nest is active?

11. Acerholic

A really pleasant site in my garden this morning was seeing my white lilac madame lamoine breaking out in leaf. Our theme for everything other than maples is green and white. It is such a very calming colour combination IMO.
    White lilac Madame Lamoine  715.JPG

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  12. pmurphy

I believe there are chicks in it now.
    What caught my attention was the behavior of a female hummingbird. I heard it twittering and saw it flittering around - darting back and forth - and then it hovered over the nest before landing on it. And, based upon her head movements, she appeared to be feeding her chick(s). Funny thing is this nest is about 3 m off the ground near the outer branches of the cedar, and fully exposed to the wicked winds we got a couple of days ago (the same winds that took down the trees I posted about in "take a walk on the wild side").

13. Acerholic

The one thing I found over the years dealing with wildlife in my job, was how precarious the nesting of many species of birds actually is.
    You would have thought they would have learnt by now, lol.. look forward to seeing photos of the chicks if you get a chance P.

14. Acerholic

I wanted to post this photo I took a few minutes ago of my Handkerchief tree getting ready to burst out. It is very special to us as the seeds were collected by our eldest granddaughter in November 2013 from the Mayors garden in Winchester England.
    I was also very pleased with how the photo turned out and am hoping it will not be too many more years before we get those wonder flowers.
    Handkerchief tree 716.JPG

Margot, Nik and pmurphy like this.
  15. Acerholic

That early coffee in the garden was a bit on the chilly side this morning, but when I saw one of my Hostas breaking ground, that gave me a nice warm feeling. Won't be long now!!
    Hosta Patriot 716.JPG

16. Acerholic

Well I woke up expecting cloud cover, but was pleasantly surprised to see a blue sky and beautiful sunshine. Yes a bit cold, but the birds are singing and everywhere else is very quiet. So I took this one of my Sambucas nigra Black lace as its is just starting to open up. It was looking so dark this morning, matching it's name.
    Sambucus nigra  Black lace 177.JPG

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  17. pmurphy

I took a break yesterday from shoveling compost and clearing the fence line (we'll be replacing about 50 m of fencing in the next week) to take some photos....

Marsh marigold
    Yellow barrenwort
    Glory of the snow
    Shredded umbrella plant
    Crown imperial
    Paperbush

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Margot, Nik and Acerholic like this.
  18. Acerholic

Just finished erecting and painting all our new fencing P, so my thoughts are with you for that project.
    Stunning close ups once again, we particularly liked the Shredded umbrella plant.

19. pmurphy

After my husband and I replaced all the rotting landscape ties last year with cement blocks (3 pallets worth) I didn't feel like installing a fence so I wanted to hire someone to do the entire project. However there is a 5m section of fence that is raised above the level of the back lane (by less than 1 m) that needs a low retain wall. The only company that would do this quoted us $4800 for just the retaining wall so my husband and I are tackling that part of the project ourselves. As for the fence line, I have to make sure it is clear for the work crew, which means I have to move or sacrifice some plants and shrubs. We also have to remove rain barrels, disconnect and remove irrigation hoses, install some wall cribbing and figure out a way to keep the dogs in the yard for a week once we pull down the section of fence where the retaining wall will be going (we start the wall on Monday....lucky us)

20. Acerholic

Good luck with that P, will probably not see you on the forum until the week after, when you and your husband will have muscles like Popeye, lol.
    Take care.

21. Margot

I think the previous owners here must have bought one of those big variety packs of daffodils and planted them here and there around the property. Over the years - at least 20 - the bulbs have multiplied and self-seeded so now there are daffodils in the craziest places.

Here are only some of the varieties I enjoy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Nik, Acerholic and pmurphy like this.
  22. Acerholic

Me too Margot, they make you smile in Spring and that's got to be a good thing.

23. Margot

I am exhausted just reading about all the work involved!

24. Acerholic

And here are some of my Katsura tree leaves this morning the 6th April 2021. Darned frost!!!!!!!
    Katsura tree 181.JPG

25. Margot

It seems contrary that we do not get those late frosts you do and yet our season lags yours by several weeks. My Japanese maples, for example, still have tight buds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.