Mycorrhizae

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Harcuvar, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Harcuvar

Harcuvar Member

I’m going to inoculate a couple test trees. Wondering if anyone has experience doing this and your results? My organic fertilizer BioGold doesn’t include mycorrhizae so this would complement the BioGold.

169D09B8-523C-4B84-8BED-465894D01ED6.jpeg
    (Japanese Princess)

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning G, nice to hear from you, I use mycorrhize by dusting the roots when planting out, I don't quite understand the term 'inoculate' your trees. Is this being done after they have been planted out?
    But my results from dusting the root ball when planting has been very good indeed. I would reccomend the use of if that's your question.
    Hope thats of some use.

D

3. Harcuvar

Harcuvar Member

Thanks for the response. Already planted trees, yes. It would be applied as a drench. I’ve only heard good things no matter the application. It’s a 19 species endo/ecto blend made here in Washington State.

Here’s the blend:

Endomycorrhizal Fungi: (92,000 prop/lb Total)
    Glomus intraradices, G. mosseae, G. aggregatum, G. etunicatum (34 prop/g each)
    Glomus deserticola, G. monosporum, G. clarum, Paraglomus brasilianum and Gigaspora margarita(13 prop/g each)

Ectomycorrhizal Fungi: (1.2 Billion prop/lb Total)
    Rhizopogon villosulus, R. luteolus, R. amylopogon, R. fulvigleba (208,750 prop/g each)
    Pisolithus tinctorius (1,250,000 prop/g)
    Suillus granulatus (260,000 prop/g)
    Laccaria bicolor and L. laccata (83,500 prop/g each)
    Scleroderma cepa and S. citrinum (41,750 prop/g each)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Never done it this way G and have never heard of anybody on the forum doing it this way either, but maybe wrong!! The type of powder it comes in will make it difficult to do what you are thinking of doing IMO. A large nozel kitchen syringe might work ?? But I would be doubtful about it tbh.
    It will be interesting to hear anymore responses to your question.
    Have a lovely Easter.
    D

5. Harcuvar

Harcuvar Member

It’s one application they list on the instructions. They also list application as a compost tea. Mix it up and spray it. I would use a pump sprayer and try to cover surface. It’s soluble if that matters.

6. Acerholic

Do post your procedure with photos when you get round to doing it. I am certain a lot of members will be interested, I will be.

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi guys, as it happens I just spent a frustrating few minutes trying to buy mycorrhizae. My primary choice (Rootgrow) is now longer available thanks to Brexit, my secondary is out of business, and tertiary has become wildly expensive, €155 for 700 gm.

@Harcuvar I performed experiments on mixed lots of maples about 15 years ago, IIRC 18 test and control each. In otherwise identical circumstances the root volume was 3X for those that rec'd mycorrhizae. Remember that maples are only symbiotic with endo, so you're wasting your money on the ecto parts unless you have one product for multiple plantings. Oaks are ecto and Poplars I've been told are symbiotic with both!

As an aside, "inoculation" can refer to "dusting the roots" but can also I believe refer to injecting roots with a solution. There was a time when we talked a lot about "boosted" maples, which usually performed brilliantly for a couple of years before crashing. I can't say for sure that injections were involved. :) Perhaps just injecting solution into the root mass, that seems more likely.

In pots, there may be a lack of mycorrhizae in our substrates, and this is what I was experimenting with. In most common soil, there is plenty of mycorrhizae, so using it for planting is one of the "Garden Myths" identified by the inimitable Dr. Linda Chalker-Scott. I suppose a drench might increase the species, but I have never done this. I use it systematically in pots, and a little on planting because I have the sense it helps get the maples established in the landscape, though I have no experimental proof.

I'm done with planting out for the year and won't start repotting until the end of May usually, so I've got a little time to find a new source...

-E

Harcuvar likes this.
  8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I used mycorrhizae once when repotting bonsai. I didn't notice any particular benefit, but my experience was too limited to draw conclusions, and it was probably not the same mix.

They're different from one species to another, and for pines for instance, it isn't necessary if the tree is cultivated in good conditions : I've repotted pines with white mycelium all around the rootball, in that case, the best thing to do is to keep some of the old soil and add it to the new mix. I've never seen these white nets of white mycelium on the roots of Acers.

The key to a successful use of mycorrhizae must be identifying the species that really help the tree.

Harcuvar likes this.
  9. Harcuvar

Harcuvar Member

Thanks Emery. All potted and some pines for the ecto. Can you import it from the US? Or Canada?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  10. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

@emery is this the correct stuff?

It talks about adding water to the granules..This stuff is £45 for 2.5lts

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

@dicky5ash good morning R, just saw your posting, hope I'm not butting in. That is what I use. It is not cheap wherever you live tbh.

12. Acerholic

There is one for acid loving plants that is preferable btw. Same company produces it.

13. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Good morning D. Thanks. So do you just sprinkle the stuff in the hole/pot or follow what it says about making a dipping gel ?

14. Acerholic

I moisten the root ball, then dust before planting. The moistening allows it to stick, otherwise it just falls off.

dicky5ash likes this.
  15. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, that's what I use as a number 1 choice. That's the correct price AFAIK.

I've never used the dipping gel, but I don't really plant bare rooted maples often either. I do find the stuff sticks to the roots well enough; I do it over the hole (or pot) so anything that falls off lands in with the roots anyway.

How so? Is there a different range of myc that maples prefer? I've always thought the heathers used a different sort, and of course most maples (including JMs) are not really "acid loving" in the usual sense.

dicky5ash likes this.
  16. Acerholic

I use this one rootgrow™ – Ericoid 200g – Empathy
    Yes, I know I maybe being over the top, but same price so cannot hurt at all.
    My soil is around 6-6.5 after many years of work on it and I have a lot of Azaleas, Rhododendrons etc etc near my maples, so it makes sense to buy this one for all.
    Hope that explains E.

17. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

AlainK and emery like this.
  18. Acerholic