Appreciation: A world of cherry blossoms

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Acerholic, May 8, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Thanks Ron, both are so similar, but Snow Goose looks to me in the dark a few minutes ago after receiving your message the better ID. I will take better photos tomorrow.
    The council assured us all, that they were avium.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

In addition to floral differences mazzard doesn't have the same growth habit. And wouldn't be desirable in that narrow strip anyway due to suckering and surface rooting. Which brings up the question are these specimens grafted on avium? Because if so these issues can be expected to develop.

3. Acerholic

You could have a very good point there as it is listed as avium. But I should have been less trusting and more inquisitive. Also over the years here we have had a lot of pavement root damage from cherry trees on our verges, so that could actually tell quite a story.

4. Ron B

The trees would be listed as mazzard because of an identification mistake at some point - or a previous intention to have that species there that was not fulfilled. With rootstocks used in each individual instance not usually being mentioned when whole specimen identifications of grafted combinations are being given - it is the scion only that the focus is on under ordinary circumstances.

Yes: the older plantings will involve avium rootstocks if there has been a lot of nuisance surface rooting.

5. Acerholic

Well, I phoned the local council and got absolutely nowhere regarding the trees planted in my road. All I got was they are Cherries and all avium, this I know not to be true. I am going with Snow Goose after yesterdays replies.
    Anyway, as requested I took more photos of the one from yesterday, to give a better idea of the leaves. Notice the mulch that was places around the base. This was actually a foot higher when they planted it.
    And for @Ron B a photo of how the roots of the older cherries are going towards the footpath, causing a lot of problems as he suggested they would.
    Prunus Snow Goose 716.JPG Prunus Snow Goose 717.JPG Prunus Snow Goose 718.JPG Prunus Snow Goose 719.JPG Prunus Snow Goose 720.JPG Root from cherry towards path.JPG

6. Acerholic

I have just been out to observe a new tree planted in my road last Autumn. avium apparently according to my phone call, lol.
    This is up for discussion as to it's ID. Red leaves and very pretty flowers. Only a few out so this is all I got. Ideas ????
    P1170114.JPG P1170113.JPG
    Edit 1. After excellent suggestions by Wendy and Ron, I am listing this as
    Prunus sargentii 'Rancho'.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Not until you show the habit photo for the tree. It would probably be 'Rancho' here, which has a fastigiate shape somewhat like the 'Snow Goose', but they might be 'Columnaris' where you are. I remember a discussion early on about the fastigiate trees like this, with Ron B suggesting 'Columnaris' and Justice Douglas saying it was 'Rancho' that were planted over here. These are both a cultivar of Prunus sargentii, which are not so narrowly upright in shape. I would not be able to distinguish the two cultivars, would just have to know what was generally planted there.

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Acerholic

Thanks for the reply Wendy, I think I will have to give it a year or two to properly ID. It is newly planted so only has a handful of flowers this season. It will definatly be an upright columnar style tree due to it's position, which is only inches away from the road.
    Sadly there is not the interest over here to have a register of cherries in a particular area. But I will persevere on my own home register. Thanks again.

9. Ron B

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Acerholic

Good evening Ron, Looking at your suggestion the Prunus sargentii 'Rancho' is quite the perfect fit on ID. Wendy did think about this one also. So as the suggestion has come from both of you, I will add this to my own data base for future postings.
    Thankyou for your time.

PS whilst I have your attention, can I ask what is your favourite plant/ tree? You answer so many questions on the forum, but you seem to keep your personal favourites close to your chest so to speak. I see that you have not posted a photo on your profile either, is this due to not having a favourite, as a lot of botanists do? Please ignore if this is to intrusive.

11. Acerholic

This wonderful cherry is opposite the school our children , granddaughter and in fact our eldest taught in, so it has a lot of good memories.
    I've always known it as Prunus avium plena.
    Next to the Camelia that is in flower, it gives a beautiful contrast at this time of the year.
    IMG_20210402_114115908_HDR.jpg IMG_20210402_114124146.jpg IMG_20210402_114147381_HDR.jpg IMG_20210402_114244106_HDR.jpg
    No apologies for posting 4 of this specimen.
    Edit 1, ID by Wendy as Prunus 'Shirotae ' Mount Fuji. Not as I've always known it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  12. Acerholic

I wanted to add this plastic tube around a new sapling that appeared since yesterday mornings walk. I do not know what it is, but I love when new trees are planted and as a lot of cherries and pears have died over the last couple of years at this location ( see tree next to the new tree in photo) I am hoping it is in fact a Cherry. When it leafs out I will get photos to add to my personal data base on cherries in my area and to include in 2022 to the forum. No use asking the local authority what it is, they will just give a stock answer of Prunus avium.....
    IMG_20210402_112354849.jpg

13. wcutler

This is 'Shirotae', a wide-spreading cultivar that should be a little fragrant.
    Prunus avium 'Plena' are much more upright, are later-blooming, have leaves when they bloom, flower arrangement is in umbels rather than corymbs as these are (not that I can see the corymbs here). Avium leaf margins are sort of bumpy rather than having the beautiful hairs the 'Shirotae' leaf margins have. And both avium and avium 'Plena' sepals curl back against the calyx.

14. wcutler

Actually, check that on other single white cherries you come across. On the ornamentals, when you hold them up to the sun, you see the star formed by the sepals. On avium, you see a dot, as the sepals are curled back.

15. wcutler

16. Acerholic

Thanks Wendy, I'm not doing too well... although my wife got it right straight away. Think I will leave the ID to her in future.

17. Acerholic

I have been talking to an elderly neighbour of mine this morning who has been a member of the RHS for over 50 years. The conversation ended up about cherries in our neighbourhood and identifying them. She informed me that in the 1970 - 80 ' s and often now a lot of hybrids were planted, making them difficult to identify. This pleased me tbh as I am having troubles getting the right names for trees in my locality. I had noticed that my RHS books never exactly matched trees I have posted.
    Anyway, this posting is to let people know that I will endeavour to get it right, but please bare with me and over the coming years my personal data base on cherries will indeed be correct for photos on the forum from my area.

'My apologies' for any miss identification by me. Onward and upwards...

18. Acerholic

OK, I took these photos this morning and I have it from my very elderly neighbour who saw it planted many many years ago, said it is Prunus serrulata. I asked if it was Hilliers who supplied and he said, "No", so it could be yet another hybrid from anywhere !!
    Anyway, I have taken photos of it all, if anybody has better thoughts.
    Prunus serrulata 178.JPG Prunus serrulata 179.JPG Prunus serrulata 180.JPG Prunus serrulata 181.JPG
    Edit 1. This has been identified as Hillier Spire, which being the location is probably correct. Thanks Wendy.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    AlainK likes this.
  19. Nik

Nik Contributor

After watching posts on the forums here and after a discussion with my husband about what to do with the front yard after removing many large trees, we decided to go with flowering cherries. I just ordered five small Somei-Yoshino plants, about 4’ tall. This was after a trip to our local nursery, where only large trees were available (about 10’), at $450 each. We decided that is not palatable, considering we don’t know if the conditions in our yard are good for them. Hence the small trees purchase, less than $150 total including shipping.

20. wcutler

Nonetheless, I think it looks like 'Spire', which is also known as 'Hillier Spire'. Is Hillier the only nursery that would supply this?
    That's a perfect set of photos, by the way.

21. Acerholic

Thanks Wendy, yes Hilliers is our local nursery and their tree section is vast, ie acres and acres. Amazing place, my good friend Alison was a botanist there, she showed me round, quite an experience. I will investigate Spire. My neighbour is nearly 90 so memory is not too good these days. Others do supply this cherry and possibly at a lower price. Hilliers are the best, but along with that comes higher prices, hence other contractors used over the decades to purchase trees for our area.
    I will edit the post to inform those who read it that Hillier 'Spire' is looking promising as an ID.
    Hey with luck 2022 I will have a perfect set of postings for Cherries where I live. Well hopefully, lol.
    Hope your having a lovely Easter, not too much chocolate now!!

22. wcutler

Nik, we'll enjoy watching them grow. I moved your posting here, out of the thread for trees in the local Burnaby neighbourhood, but I'm adding a link to the posting that that inspired your posting:
    Burnaby

23. Acerholic

@Nik

Nik said:
    I just ordered five small Somei-Yoshino plants.

Welcome to the world of Cherry blossoms forum N.

Look forward to seeing your purchases. Is it going to be August/September?

24. Ron B

Regarding myself and what favorites I might have I hesitate to hold one plant up over another. Often there are particular aspects - good or bad - of individual plants that are what make an impression. Particularly as these may effect garden value. For instance regarding the 'Spire' cherry in the Seattle area it does not show well due to disease problems.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2021
  25. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi D, they should be here in about two weeks. I am excited... My husband was very specific about what kind of cherry blossoms he likes, and I agreed with him.