Japan sees earliest cherry blossom season

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Margot, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

The article says that this has happened and what they believe is the cause, but what about the effect !!?
    I would be very interested to hear the scientific members of the forum' s opinions. Hope it starts some good conversation Margot.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks, Margot. The only trees we pay such close attention to are the Burrard Station 'Akebono' trees, and it's definitely not the earliest year for those.
    Blooming Dates Burrard Station .jpg

I was trying to go through @eteinindia (Mariko's) postings, because I thought I remembered some years that she said were very early, but after she explained that some stats were for the date of the first five flowers, it seemed that I was going to be getting confused about what I was reading and I gave up.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I wonder if the stats have been manipulated to create a scare story on climate change. It happens all too often these days. Your figures Wendy seem quite conclusive. Definatly not the earliest even this century.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Here's the plot of 'Yoshino' cherry dates at Kyoto from the BBC website. What's really interesting is that while the earliest dates haven't changed a lot - the new record is only a day earlier than the previous record set in 1409 - the late dates have completely gone in the last few decades. Nothing after 10 April in the last 10-15 years; nothing after 20 April in the last 30-40 years. Source: BBC (don't know if you'll be able to see it in Canada, may be limited to UK viewing)
    Kyoto cherry dates.png

Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Climate change is its own scare story.

7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I'm sure it can be viewed worldwide. The warming begins roughly at the beginning of the industrial revolution...