Acer palmatum 'Dr Brown'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by amazingmaples, May 28, 2010.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

17th September 2020 and the colours are making a big appearance. Dr Brown is just starting.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

23rd September 2020 and the first full day of Autumn. We have lots of rain so the dissectums come into their own IMO.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

1st October 2020 and the colours are coming. Plus of course with this crazy year, new growth. But I am really enjoying the mixture.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

19th October 2020 and I thought I would show how my Dr Brown is still very late to turn. This is a blessing, as when others in my garden have dropped their leaves, this cultivar will give some colour.

Attached Files:

5. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

Probably close to fully transformed in my neck of the woods:

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

@copperbeech Now that is why everyone should have a Dr Brown in their garden.
    Mine is only just turning, but hope it's half as good as yours.

7. Acerholic

25th October 2020 and just a little colour from my Dr Brown, only a few leaves as the storm yesterday has cleared the branches of most of my collection.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

28th October 2020 and from pale pinks to many shades of colour. Still holding on to some leaves.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

29th October and my Dr Brown has changed overnight, hence my new posting. What a lovely cultivar this is. I really do reccomend it !!!

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

Couldn't help myself by adding a photo just a day later of my Dr Brown glowing. It's in a dull part of my garden at this time of the year but Oh how it brightens this area up.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

14th March 2021 and probably my favourite dissectum is getting ready for another season. The Maple Society meeting mentioned today about a favourite. This has to be up there with the best IMO.
    Dr Brown 705.JPG

Shin-Deshojo and LoverOfMaples like this.
  12. Acerholic

21st March 2021 and my Dr Brown is now IMO is looking great, sorry for being a proud Dad, Lol.
    Dr Brown 706.JPG

13. Acerholic

26th March 2021 and here is my effort to get an ultra close up of my Dr Brown. I wanted to show the delicate hairs on the outer leaves. It worked a bit.
    Dr Brown 710.JPG

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  14. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

I will be following this thread as this one is on my wishlist, just not on the top as i'd like to see more pictures from end of spring and summer.

@Acerholic ,
    You say it's your favorite D, so it must have something that make it special that i didn't spot yet, although I have the feeling that his color tones could be nearly similar to 'Ornatum' which is my favorite dissectum.
    Yours seems green all the summer, i hope it is because of the shade and that i can expect to own one that show more brownish colors all the season in a sunny spot?

15. Acerholic

Good morning I, this thread will be updated regularly for you. The trouble with dissectums is that I think tbh everyone is my favourite on different days and possibly different hours of the day.
    Dr Brown isn't all that brown, but it does have different tones, it is where you place it that brings out the various shades, a bit like Hanna Matoi.
    Mine is in a lot of shade btw.
    Have a great weekend

D

16. Shin-Deshojo

Good morning D ,
    Thank you for the infos on this cultivar.
    Appreciate that you will update the post this season.

Have a good day.

17. Acerholic

31st March 2021and as promised the continuation of my diary on Dr Brown. I am pleasantly surprised as I did move it in October, something I don't ordinarily do at that time of year, but it needed to be done, to stop it getting trampled by feet when cutting my hedge.
    Dr Brown 715.JPG

18. Shin-Deshojo

Very nice D, keep the pictures coming, I do appreciate these updates.
    Have a good day.

Acerholic likes this.
  19. Acerholic

Will do I, have a good one yourself.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  20. Acerholic

18th April 2021 and I wanted to post this as a photo diary of my Dr Brown this morning, as it can get lost on the big threads.
    Still my favourite dissectum, well today at least. My others are fighting hard to get to the top of the list.....
    Dr Brown 196.JPG Dr Brown 197.JPG

21. Shin-Deshojo

Beautiful D, i have the feeling that when you Dr Brown will be fully leafed i will not have another choice than looking to get one myself.

22. Acerholic

You will never regret it I if you do. I never have.

23. Acerholic

6th April 2021 in the morning sun after yet another frost last night, my Dr Brown said, "I'm OK".
    Dr Brown 218.JPG

24. Acerholic

18th May 2021 and I still get PM's requesting to see this one. I am more than happy to oblige as it's as lovely dissectum.
    Dr Brown 230.JPG

25. Acerholic

28th May 2021 and my Dr Brown has a multi coloured look now.
    Dr Brown 241.JPG

D97x7 likes this.