What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I love fluffy clouds too N. Always looked to see if they made a shape of an animal since a child. Still do it now Lol

2. Nik

Nik Contributor

I just observed several robins outside, that’s the definitive sign that spring has arrived.
    (To be honest, I don’t like them that much because they dig up the moss in the yard in search of worms all summer). I am happy to see them this time of year though. And they always nest in the large mountain laurel next to our house. Picture below is not mine.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

Well I covered everything that I could as a frost was forecast overnight, but to my delight first thing this morning there was cloud cover, so no whiteout. OK it's a very dull start to the day on the first day of Spring but my maples can cope with that very nicely indeed.
    The forecasts here for the next two weeks show nothing below 5°C at night. Thank goodness.........

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

We got the freeze, -1.5, There was a big block of ice in the wheelbarrow, still full from recent rains. I had brought some pots in, a good precaution apparently! But I don't anticipate any damage to outside plants, some are close but nothing really completely in leaf.

Yes, no freezing in sight for not. But early days. Glad to hear you escaped it, D.

5. Acerholic

I think 'Escape' is a very good word E. Hope yours were not too badly hit, but as you say early days atm for our trees.

6. Nik

Nik Contributor

I like the trend of the low temperature over here. Yes, spring has arrived, in addition to seeing the robins we also heard the eastern phoebes today..

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  7. Nik

Nik Contributor

Here are the temperatures

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Mr Blue Sky indeed N. I can hear the ELO song in my head to go with your lovely Spring photo as I type this.

9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

My thermometer, in the shade and in the coolest location of my garden (N/NW) reads "23.9 ° C".

Aphids are on the march, in battalions ! Here's a photo of an Acer elegantulum, all the tips have black spots (aphids), and in the left bottom corner, you can see a wasp or a similar predator :

acer-discolor_210330a.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Acerholic

Hottest March day since 1968 recorded here in England, 24.2° C. Not quite the 25° C record, but almost.
    I think everyone is going to lap this up for the few days it is going to last, especially after the year we have all had.

AlainK likes this.
  11. Acerholic

I'm spraying tonight, not enough predators at this time of the year. Can we not catch a break at all !!! There's always something...........

12. Acerholic

Just saw that, think you have just pipped my garden and I expect overall somewhere in France will hit 26° C . How's the water table there Alain? After last years drought this doesn't bode well.

13. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Couple hours ago -1.2˚ with an expected high of 12˚ today.

Acerholic likes this.
  14. AlainK

I haven't checked, but here, it should be OK for the moment. But I heard on the radio that in the south, farmers were demonstrating against water limitations. But you know, that's France, we love to hold protests and demonstrations - even when it's justified, so...

15. Acerholic

What a difference G, but perhaps it's your turn soon!!?

16. Acerholic

Think it's a watch and wait scenario again. No rain forecast here for the next 12 days, so my rainwater tanks will be essential for those Spring leaves.

17. emery

23.1° here, we did get a little ocean haze later in the afternoon. I actually spotted a lady(bug, bird) in the garden, I don't recall seeing one this early before. But as you say D not many predators out yet, though lots of bees. And aphids, for sure.

The water table is in good shape here, so probably not too bad for the moment in the Loire Valley. Rain would be welcome, though! (Although I'm enjoying the sun too.)

18. Acerholic

You and me both E. It won't last too long though looking at the forecast.

19. Nik

Nik Contributor

Seasonable weather for us. Perhaps this weekend I might move my Cymbidiums outside.
    Red maples are in bloom everywhere, and Cornelian cherries.

Attached Files:

Acerholic and emery like this.
  20. emery

Lovely! Cornus mas is missing from our garden, a real shame.

Just heard the first cuckoo, so it's officially Spring!

21. Acerholic

And the perfect sky N.

22. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

And back to winter for the Easter weekend which is about right for the UK.

23. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Need some of these bad boys !! just inspecting all the trees today in the sunshine and i can honestly say i have never seen so many Lady birds/Bugs on my trees before at this time of year, added a pic of a Mikawa and it had numerous ones scuttling about.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

Not one here at the moment M, but I'm hoping they will visit my garden soon as I have aphid city here.

25. AlainK

5°/25.2° yesterday (we broke a 75 yr-old record), and... ARGH!

meteo0604m.jpg meteo0604am.jpg