Acer palmatum 'Goshiki kotohime'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Spring must be here. This Acer palmatum 'Goshiki kotohime' is the first of my Japanese Maples to come into leaf. These photos were made 3-10-04.

Attached Files:

2. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

Photos taken 6/5/05

Attached Files:

3. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Eric,

When will you see the veriegation on your plant? I have had some varied characteristics with plants I have purchased under this name and I was wondering what your experience is.

Michael

4. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

The new growth at the tips of the branches come out varigated and usually continue to offer varigation just on the new growth. This plant is the varigated form of 'kotohime', are you sure you dont have 'kotohime'?

In addition, we fertilize with a slow release high nitrogen fertilizer. The plants are under a 30% shade cloth throughout the summer.

5. swanny

swanny Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Attached are two photos, taken Sunday, March 19th of my very small Goshiki Kotohime. This Japanese maple is always the first to leaf out in the spring. Seems to be very slow growing though.

Swanny

Attached Files:

6. PPC_SPC

PPC_SPC Member

swanny-
    You have beautiful pictures of your Goshiki kotohime! Please contact me at info@smallplants.com, because I'd like to use them on our website.
    Thanks!

7. banjoboy

banjoboy Active Member

No pink variegation in mine yet...

This seems to be a common problem with everyone else?

Attached Files:

8. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hey guys,
    I've been looking for the "real" form of Goshiki Kotohime. The pics at esveld show a green leaf variagated with speckles of white, and pinkish colors on the edge...go figure. I wonder, then, why noone's G. Kotohimes are producing this variagation. I think I found the variagated form at Greer Gardens, but I'm not sure that I want to order it, in fear that it's not the real thing. Have any of you seen speckled variagation on your plants? If you have, did it wear off? I don't know, just wondering. Thanks!
    -David-

9. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Well, mine does not show variegation either and comes from Holland.
    It is true that the picture shown in Vertrees/Gregory book is even more strikingly variegated. The tree I have labeled 'Goshiki kotohime' does not look like that one and I think it may be just a plain 'Koto hime' mislabelled. Or one may have to wait several seasons before the variegation shows up......

I'll ask the question at Esveld's next time I go there.
    The first pic was taken in March 2007 and the second today.

Gomero

Attached Files:

10. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Gomero,
    Greer Gardens (in the US) says their Goshikis ARE variagated...but they're four feet tall -- how old is yours? You're probably right, in that the variagation may take several years to show up...I hope so anyways. I think I'm going to order it - I really like the variagated form of Kotohime. Anyways, thanks for your help - the pics look like they are just a Kotohime, honestly...Doesn't look like there's much pink and cream variagation at all. It may show up later; so hold out hope!
    -David-

11. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Mapleman 77:

Mine is a two year old graft and about 12 inch tall.

Gomero

12. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Gomero,
    The one I'm ordering from Greer is 3 - 4 ft. tall, but I don't know how old it is...The variagation may show up later on yours; who knows?

13. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

We have some large specimens that are around 4 ft tall at our nursery and they show very little variegation. On certain branches it is faintly visible, but on others it seems to be non existant. I would guess that there has been some dilution of the variegation in this cultivar by certain growers, but I guess if they claim it is there it would your best bet.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  14. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

There seems to be a widespread mis-labeling of this tree...why? I really want the real thing, but can't seem to find it anywhere - I recently found out that Greer's specimens are not variagated at all! Well, does the Vertrees book show a pic of it? I have yet to get any edition...
    David

15. mattlwfowler

Vertrees' book does show a good image of the variegated one. I'm not sure that it is mislabeling of the cultivar, the variegation has just been "diluted" over time. This is probably the same as the way there are multiple levels of variegation on 'butterfly' depending on the source. However, I don't think there are many "undiluted" cultivars of 'goshiki kotohime' being sold these days. It would be quite a steal to find one I would imagine.

16. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

I searched the latin name on Yahoo, and a worldplants.com page came up, showing a so - called Goshiki Kotohime - they said that it may be reverted to the normal form, but the new growth WAS a bright pastel pink color...I'm going to email them as to see what the "subtle, but effective" variagation is. Maybe they have a more or less "undiluted" form.

17. mattlwfowler

You do see nice bright pink/orangy color in the new growth in the diluted forms I think, which is likely what worldplants' is. You don't, however, see much of the mottled look that is so distinct in Vertrees' book. The reverted form is quite spectacular regardless of the variegation.

18. paxi

paxi Active Member

here's mine - first or second to leaf out every spring for me. In pretty shady location.

Attached Files:

• gk.jpg
      gk.jpg
      File size:
      296.7 KB
      Views:
  19. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Goshiki kotohime'. Tree had major setback from late season frost about 5 years ago, but making a comeback! Growing in NE Ohio Zone 6 in full sun. in second photo you see the thick trunk and low foliage needs protection from rabbits.

Attached Files:

emery likes this.
  20. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Pictures taken today, using the flash after the first one as it was starting to get late.

I think the leaf shapes looks the best right now.

20210325_190231.jpg
    20210325_190313.jpg
    20210325_190425.jpg
    20210325_190432.jpg
    20210325_190438.jpg
    20210325_190442.jpg
    20210325_190450.jpg

LoverOfMaples, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  21. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

That's a beauty, do you know if anybody was looking at a Japanese Princess or Mystic Mikawa and can't get hold of one, then perhaps look no further than this cultivar.... what's your thoughts on that I ?

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  22. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Good point of view D,
    I didn't realise until you said that but it is indeed closely as lovely and delicate as japanese princess and mystic mikawa can be.
    I can live with the fact to not be able to obtain them as i have some good maples to enjoy (and more to come, hopefully i can order next week and share them on the forum soon).

Still, i am a true amateur of rare and beautiful maples and these two cultivars have spring colors that can not be ignored so I won't give up.

And as having the legendary mikawa yatsubusa as parent, I think it's a must have for every japanese maple collectors.

It's just impossible for me to get them out of my mind...hehe,
    btw I watched the video you mentioned about them, I really enjoyed it, very qualitative comparison and I thought it was very nice from the owner to share those images with us.

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning I, I have to agree once you get a maple in your mind to have, then that's it, 'You must have it', Lol.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  24. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

This was my first maple to leaf out this year.

Attached Files:

25. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

It wasn't first out this year but still was out early.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, D97x7 and Acerholic like this.