Spring colo(u)rs

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Mar 24, 2021.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

"Early Spring?" is about when various species begin to get out of dormancy.

Now, in various places where members grow maples some trees are displaying what I personally prefer, their spring colours.

Little Princess - Momoiro koya san - Phoenix - Orange Dream - Katsura - Tama hime :

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Alain - I was going to suggest "couleurs".

AlainK likes this.
  3. AlainK

;-)

You know, in Africa there's an ethnic/cultural group called "Toucouleurs" :

FR : Toucouleurs — Wikipédia
    NG : Toucouleur people - Wikipedia

I've always found this term full of all the values I believe in, but I've never asked my colleagues and friends what"ethnic group" they belonged to, I'm a perfect seedling of the "République Sociale et Laïque"... ^_^

4. AlainK

'Deshojo', and 'Deshojo' with Malus 'Evereste', flowers about to open :

acerp-deshojo_201026a.jpg acerp-deshojo_201026b.jpg

'Phoenix'. The colour is not as spectacular, but very nice with 'Orange Dream' by its side :

acerph02m01_210324a.jpg acerph02m01_210326a.jpg

'Momoiro koya-san', beautiful pastel/peach/salmon pink, whatever you call it :

acerp-momoiro_210326a.jpg

'Redwine' (not so red, except for the branches), 'Sango kaku' with flowers, 'Arakawa' in the wind, 'Bi-hoo', and 'Tama hime' :

acerp-redwine_210326a.jpg acerp_sangok02_210326a.jpg acerp-arakawa_210326a.jpg acerp-bihoo_210326a.jpg acerp-tamahime01_210326a.jpg

Acer discolor (too big now for a potted tree, almost 3 metres high) I will try air-layering in a few weeks, and cuttings in late June), and Acer tegmentosum (the red branches and the sbamboo are on different trees, but I was too lazy to move them ^_^) :

acer-discolor_210326a.jpg acer-teg_210326a.jpg

5. LorenzoDec

LorenzoDec Active Member

That "Tama Hime" looks gorgeous, such a nice shape!

6. AlainK

I must definitely slip-pot it ASAP - june 2020. Not enough space for therrots now that the canpy has developped so fast...

acerp-tamahime01_200606a.jpg

7. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Beautiful pictures @AlainK ,
    i am impatient to see my Momoiro koya-san in leaf as it's a new addition and yours look exactly what i expected from this cultivar, stuning colors.

8. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

spring colors from mine Aceretum La Cianfronara-black-cat on negundo :-)-A.p. Ryu sen,muchio selvaggio view,Acer laevigatum new shoots ,pink samaras ,Acer tenellum

Attached Files:

9. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

a big Acer buergerianum Wako nishiki,A.p. Manyo no sato,A.p. Wendy

Attached Files:

10. Nik

Nik Contributor

Acer rubrum flowers opening. Don’t forget the local species...

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

You are so right N, in my location the Campestre have nothing atm, but I will be sure to post when they do.
    Such vibrant colour you have captured, a lovely way for me to start British Summer time this morning.
    'Don't you just love this time of year'.

12. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

No leaves yet but the spring switch has been flipped and all the buds are starting to burst!!

Attached Files:

dicky5ash, LoverOfMaples, Nik and 6 others like this.
  13. AlainK

Here, the daffodils and almost all the narcissus have faded now.

More flowers : 'Ryusen', and 'Butterfly'.

acerp-ryusen_210328a.jpg acerp_but01_210328a.jpg

Two closely related maples, Acer triflorum, and Acer griseum which is always one of the last, if not the last to bud out :

acer-triflorum_210328a.jpg acer-gris01_210328a.jpg

Some 'Atropurpureum dissectum' from a potted tree I bought with no label. Often, these seedlings are hard to keep, but so far they look all right. One of them turned green very quickly, the others had slightly different leaves but they're much too young to draw conclusions as regards their future. The one on the left is a year older, from MS seed exchange :

acerp_atro-dis-sem20_210328a.jpg

14. Acerholic

17° C and not a cloud in the sky and my favourite early Spring maple Katsura is just so pretty. Now with some warmth I can sit in my garden and just stare.......
    Katsura 714.JPG

15. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Lots of rain yesterday...

Attached Files:

dicky5ash, LoverOfMaples, Nik and 2 others like this.
  16. Acerholic

Not a cloud in the sky here J and I'm sitting in my garden in 18°C warmth looking at your rain photos. What a magic day !!!

17. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Daffs are mostly fading here too, but there is a second batch which flowers later, still not out.

Thanks for the flowers Alain, always a favorite for me!

We don't have a lot of leaves out yet, but buds are getting big and surely the next few days will show us some. A couple of "hime"s are burst, but I haven't gotten to photograph them yet. Some colors but mostly green, but some early photos will help me follow the thread! Also very warm and full sun, I need to get some shade on the cold frame tomorrow, the new seedlings are starting to resent it.

A. triflorum and A. pensylvanicum flowers

IMG_20210328_153603_v1.jpg IMG_20210328_153631_v1.jpg IMG_20210328_174803_v1.jpg

A. mandshuricum now really getting into leaf, still a lovely color.

IMG_20210328_174958_v1.jpg

A new maple for me that is very exciting, A. okamotoanum, in a pot for at least this and next year.

IMG_20210329_185749_v1.jpg IMG_20210329_185808_v1.jpg

A poor photograph but The Larch lives! :)

IMG_20210329_190027_v1.jpg

A. ukurunduense is always an early starter. It is not very frost hardy once in leaf, which may partially explain its rarity in our gardens.

IMG_20210329_195410_v1.jpg

18. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm in love with that Acer buergerianum 'Wako-nishiki'.
    And I get my own cultivar name? Nice one too.

19. Acerholic

Not out just yet, but I thought the Spring colo(u)rs were right for this thread. It's my Black Lace.
    Black lace 714.JPG

Keith Elliott, Nik and dicky5ash like this.
  20. AlainK

Acer oliverianum and Acer serrulatum They looked alike in their first year, now serrulatum has more red both on the bark and the new leaves :

acer-oliverianum_210330a.jpg acer-serrulatum_210330a.jpg

Emerald Lace, Jerre Schartz, Flavescens, and flowers on Seiryu :

acerp-emerald_210330a.jpg acerp-jerre-schwartz02_210330a.jpg acerp-flavescens_210330a.jpg acerp-seiryu02_210330a.jpg

PS : yesterday, 23.7° C according to infoclimat.fr but the temeratures are recorded about 15 miles up north, it was a bit less here, about 22° C. Last night, the minimum (from my thermometer outside) was 7.5° C. ^_^

21. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wow, looking great! Aphids loving the temps too, I see. :) Can you use the neem oil mixture once the leaves are out?

It's already 22°C today, the sun is burning hot, it's too much too soon since most of the shade isn't in leaf yet. I had to take new seedlings out of the "cold frame", even with shade over it they were burning up.

I'm sure you've said before, but where did you get the serrulatum? Sound seedlings are very hard to come by. Was it an MS exchange seed maybe? Ours is just out here, it was slowed down (as usual) by the last frost. It's a piteous individual, but I nurse it along.

@wcutler Wendy 'Wako nishiki' (or Wakoh as I have it, though as usual the Westernized spellings of Japanese names vary. It seems to be the same plant sold as 'Hana chiru sato' sometimes), is very variable in it's success. @alex66 has one of the best you will see anywhere, along with our mutual friend in NJ. Ours is a tiny and sickly thing in a 1 liter pot, even though it was from the same batch of grafts as Alex's plant, from 2011! I am hoping that one day it will grow, in the mean time I keep it alive by giving it some sequestrene in high summer, which gets some chlorophyll into the leaves. Yano said it has "special cultural requirements", meaning leaving a branch of the rootstock to grow in order to provide energy to the roots, but the big plants I know of don't seem to need it.

I bought a little 'Wendy' this year. :)

-E

dicky5ash likes this.
  22. AlainK

I'm not sure, I'll try "savon noir" this time. I have a few other maples with aphids, black ones.

And yes, the 2 serrulatum I have are from the 2019-2020 MS seed exchange, the same year as my only - infested - oliverianum.

23. Acerholic

Lots of aphids here atm too, but I think the lower temperatures over Easter will knock them back. Maybe !!!
    Just hit 23°C here, absolutely wonderful time to be in the garden.

24. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Of the Palmatums only Pheonix, Katsura and Jerre Schartz have just started to pop here but i see it won’t be long.. Vitifolium and Aconitifolium are just pushing flowers out.

I have put a deposit down on 2 squirrel guards aka maincoons

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

Loving your species maples Alain, I mentioned to Emery a couple of years ago that these are drawing my interest more and more. If I only had the room........ lol. But as you said before, " there is always Bonsai".

AlainK and dicky5ash like this.