Maple shopping list 2021

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Dec 29, 2020.

1. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

I am benefactor of my parents generosity...
    Far beyond what I would do for myself
    Super excited for leaf out. They all look great in dormancy

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Aren't Mums and Dads great. Hope you will share your leaf out with the forum

kbguess likes this.
  3. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

I’m very excited to stick these into their new homes;-)

Attached Files:

Acerholic, LoverOfMaples and AlainK like this.
  4. Acerholic

Have they arrived yet? Think you said it might be today.

5. Luke’s Maples

I went to collect them. Just finished potting up. I’m beat.

Attached Files:

AlainK, Shin-Deshojo, emery and 2 others like this.
  6. Acerholic

But very happy I bet. 'Your back' !!!!!!

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  7. Luke’s Maples

I actually think, apart from the ones we here in the UK can’t can’t, such as the Japanese Princess, Mystic Mikawa etc that a nice Manyo no Sato is the only one I want. I had one but sold it. Oh and another Orion and Johin... ;-)

Acerholic and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  8. Luke’s Maples

I can’t believe I’m doing this...

im trying to limit myself to four. I’m not about Nathan. Anybody grow this? Is it worth having?

I love the bright green of the Ki Hachijo, I’m a sucker for reticulates, hence the Sawa Chidori and since selling my Kinran (regretfully) I now want to replace it. I would like a nice red, something a bit different to contrast with the green of the Ki Hachijo. I was thinking Nathan. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

9. Luke’s Maples

My basket ;-)

Attached Files:

10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I probably won't buy any more maples this spring, unless something really rare shows up.

I think 'Nathan' is a nice maple. And 'Kinran' is an _essential_ maple.

I did manage to plant 4 today (in the ground!) which is more productive than I've been in a while: Acers 'Tsuma gaki', 'Green Hornet', 'Alloys' as well as A. crataegifolium 'Veitchii'. I still have a lot of planting left to do, I'm way behind.

A friend who is a Polish horticulturist is sending me A. platanoides 'Paldiski', a wonderful and strange tree that has not been available outside of eastern EU much. He has also arranged for a young 'Mercury' to be sent in the fall. Friends can be wonderful and I'm often astonished by the solidarity in the plant community. I guess this is why I love giving away and trading maples too, you never know when it will come around.

My friend sent this great anecdote about 'Paldiski', which def looks like the result of a radioactive leak! :)

Estonian dendrologists Olev Abner and J üri Elliku found this
    interesting plant in 1995 on a street corner in the city of Paldiski.
    The tree was run over by a car and the bark was damaged. The original
    plant is no longer growing, but thanks to the transplants it has been
    multiplied. Today ′ ′ Paldiski ′ ′ Is a famous beauty tree elsewhere in
    Europe where kindergarten also promotes it. It can be assumed that the ′
    ′ author ′ ′ of the exciting little note was a radiation overdose -
    Paldiski had a nuclear submarine training facility in the Soviet era.
    notable beauty tree: the crown, which extends to the sky as a narrow
    cone, is compact and remains narrow. The letter does not mutate, other
    maple varieties tend to have ′ ′ normal ′ ′ leaves typical of the main
    species. Fall color is orange-yellow. W Compared to other maple trees, ′
    ′ Paldiski ′ ′ grows much faster. In spring the blooming ′ ′ Paldiski ′
    ′ has not yet been, although the tree is already so old, that it should
    bloom. If it does not bloom, there is no fruit. Maybe it is also a
    consequence of radiation?

Acerholic and dangerine49 like this.
  11. Luke’s Maples

What an interesting story. One for the Maple Society perhaps.

I too am astonished at the almost ‘unconditional’ care are support through our community. When I separated with my wife last November and faced the likelihood of having to sell all my trees I was heartbroken. I received many many messages of support from various members of this forum. Mostly from the people I have interacted most with over the last couple of years, but it was so heartwarming and it was sincere. I’m so glad and I feel fortunate that the place I am renting now has room to accommodate my addiction.

I do hope to keep this passion alive for decades to come.

Thanks everyone.

Luke.

12. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

Went out to Gossler Nursery in Springfield, Oregon today and found a good maple haul!

Ukigumo, Shirazz and Mikawa were all priced cheap! $50-60 each. They had a handful of Japanese Princess, I grabbed the best one but they were sold /NOT4Sale !!!

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

Everybody is after them!!!! I like the three you bought though Connor, some interesting shapes already.

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  14. Acerholic

Good morning Luke, Just woke up to see your posting. IMO Nathan is a good contrast to Ki Hachijo, but a little unsure whether the contrast would last all Summer. But as they are small trees from Hippopottering, what the heck why not give it a try. It will be fun watching them and if you don't like the eventual colour scheme they can be moved easily as they will be in pots.

15. Luke’s Maples

Thanks for the reply D. I appreciate your time and opinion. Am I right in thinking Nathan has some reticulation in it? I can’t find many decent pics of it.

16. Luke’s Maples

My ideal choice would have been uncle ghost as it’s the only ghost I don’t have. Hippo are sold out :-(

17. Acerholic

Yes Uncle ghost is very special IMO, keep it on your to buy list. I haven't got Nathan as I have always been unsure about how much reticulation it actually has. As you say different photos show different leaves. Now 'Kinran' is very nice indeed and the Spring colours are amazing. So looking at your list to Hippo if it were me it would be Kinran above all the others. But everybody to their own taste and I'm pleased we all have differing opinions, as it makes looking at all the photos so much more interesting.
    Just to add the Maple Society are in the process of producing a synonym list for cultivars. That will prove invaluable IMO as there are so many names floating around out there for each tree, it is too easy to get caught up in buying a few of the exactly the same tree just with a different name. When it's done my cultivar collection will probably be reduced by a third, Lol.

18. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples if you want to drool over a maple, then look at Acer palmatum Yuki Yama, another seedling from Mikawa Yatsubusa. I would love to have that and Japanese princess next to each other in my collection. I've been chatting to S @Maple_Lady on PMs and she is very impressed with this one, as am I looking at her photos. Once again our US friends are the only ones to have it, ATM Lol.

19. Luke’s Maples

Thanks I’ll take a look D. Check out Maple Collectors latest video ;-)

20. Luke’s Maples

Wow.. it’s like a cross between ukigumo and Mikawa Yatsubusa. Let the lust, drooling and frustration commence lol

21. Acerholic

Just got back from a long walk, yes I've seen his Mikawa collection and advised I @Shin-Deshojo to watch it the other day. It did confirm that I only want one, either Japanese princess or Mystic mikawa. And perhaps in the future Yuki yama to compliment each other.

22. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

I forgot to watch it but hopefully I will tonight.

23. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I wasn’t planning on making a shopping list..but in the words of Britney Spears “oops I did it again” here are a few I accidentally tripped across at a nursery today and I had to bring them home..I only went for some melcourt pine chips.

wakehurst pink
    Westonbirt spreading star
    Kamagata
    Aka shigitatsu sawa

Is the above different to “shigitatsu sawa” and rectilatum?

They also had Matsukazi but I didn’t buy that one..you have to show some restraint!

They get their trees from John Richards in the Malvern Hils..amazing quality..the spreading star trunk is 30mm thick!

Acerholic likes this.
  24. Luke’s Maples

Great choices, I don’t have spreading star but I do have the others. Wakehurst Pink was was of my favourites last year. Constantly changing colour through the year, sun exposure dependent. The in Autumn it was the brightest red/pink it just lit up the garden. Kamagata I’ve had for 2 days so not sure, but heard good things. Aka Shigitatsu Sawa is most definitely different from the Shigitatsu Sawa and is in my top/essential list. I have 2. They are stunning all year. A little more sun tolerant than it’s daddy and wonderful pinky orange reticulation, not too dissimilar to Amber Ghost. I think it it even better. You will not be disappointed, that much I can tell you ;-)

dicky5ash likes this.
  25. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Few pics of some you bought today, First eight Wakehurst pink don't forget this is a variegated tree and shows off some interesting colours both in the spring and fall, first 3 pics spring variegated, then next 3 fall variegated then last 2 fall pics, can either be a blush pink or a strong red, light governed. Next aka Shigitatsu sawa spring and fall, a stunning red. Then 3pics Shigitatsu sawa spring and fall and finally a large Kamagata spring and early fall last year, then a smaller one from a few years back. Nice selection you have picked there.

Attached Files: