Article: 20 Best Places to See Cherry Blossoms Around Vancouver

Discussion in 'Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival' started by Junglekeeper, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It's that time of the year again and so here is an article on places around Vancouver for viewing cherry blossoms. Note the West 22nd Avenue location is once again erroneously included as the trees there are plum trees.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Oh, yeah, but they called them "dreamy blossoms", didn't use the word "cherry" for those!
    Thanks for the link.

3. Junglekeeper

Come to think of it, why isn't there a list of viewing locations here or at VCBF, ones that have been vetted?

4. wcutler

Because there's a map on the festival website of 3000 locations, with about 300 indicated as good photo op locations (markers are in red), with very approximate blooming dates (which I guess I'd better update soon, if I only had some idea of what those dates would be this year). Many years when I finally update the dates, it turns out that I acted too soon and could have been able to go with the dates that I just changed.
    Neighbourhood Maps (vcbf.ca)
    Or to read about the map first: Neighbourhood Maps - Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival (vcbf.ca)

5. wcutler

I have more to say on that. The festival used to have a list each year of 25 favourites. But it would bother me that there might just as good locations right where people lived, but they'd go across town to see something, not realizing that there was a location for that cultivar right near them that didn't make the cut.

Related to that, particularly this year, we should not be leading everyone to the same locations, when again, there are other comparable locations, so there would be less crowding over all. The University of Washington webcam site has posted a notice asking people not to come at all this year. And related to that, the people living on some of those streets mentioned are not always so happy about the crowds of people and the traffic. There's an Instagram page of someone on one of the most popular 'Akebono' blocks posting videos of people traipsing on lawns, climbing fences and whatever to get photos and selfies.

Also, the festival's Blooming Now - Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival (vcbf.ca) page is a short-list of sorts of the favourite (good photo op) locations that have been reported on the forums.

6. Junglekeeper

While Neighbourhood Maps is a good resource I think it could be supplemented by a list of locations where the view is spectacular and exceptional, perhaps because of the concentration of trees in those areas. Even the W 22nd location can be included with the caveat that the trees there are actually plum trees.
    Perhaps this concern can be addressed by prefacing the list with a suggestion to also check nearby areas, along with a link to Neighbour Maps. Similarly, cautionary notes can be added to address concerns of crowding and invasion of privacy. Publishing a list here or at VCBF would likely not increase significantly the incidence of said problems as lists such as the one in the original post already exist. On the contrary, if concerns are properly expressed, I'd like to believe that, given that knowledge, most people would act in a responsible manner. The incidence of problems may actually be reduced as a result.