How to control Aegopodium podagraria?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Joy80, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Joy80

Joy80 New Member

We dug up our whole garden 16 years ago due to the uncontrollable Aegopodium podagraria. We had 16 years of garden-happiness. Last week I saw it sprouting again. ☹️
    I started searching the net again hoping to find updated solutions to control the weed other than digging up the whole place again.
    Then I read a suggestion - plant Geranium macrorrhizum on the area because it has a stronger root system.
    Has anyone here heard of this solution? Won't I be creating another problem having Geranium macrorrhizum bin same area where Aegopodium resides?
    Thank you for any advice.

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Yes. In my opinion.

I eradicated variegated Aegopodium podagraria many years ago by fastidiously digging it up. It took years but I had lots of time then. I have heard that the variegated variety is easier to deal with than the solid green type. Now, I would try digging it for a year or two but if it still keeps showing up, I would use Glyphosate applied with a small paintbrush. Not everyone would but from all that I have read, it is safe and effective for such targeted treatment.