Slow release v Controlled release feed for maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

As Spring feed is fast approaching, I thought I would start this thread to both ask opinions of maple growers and share what I am doing now.
    Over the past couple of years I have used a 'controlled' release feed compared to what I have done for many many years previous in using a 'slow' release feed.
    First of all I am not knocking the slow release as it has served me well, but it has a drawback in that it releases the feed no matter the weather or if my tree needs it or not. This I thought to myself in 2019 was not good enough, so I started using a controlled slow release granular feed, that although £2 a kg more expensive than the slow release, lasts the whole season, by only feeding my trees when they need it and the weather is right. This then reduces the need to feed twice, so is actually more economical.
    I know some of you don't feed and have wonderful soil conditions, but a lot of us don't, so have to supplement our growing substrate. This thread is aimed at those who do need to give their trees a little help. I also understand that some do not advise feeding at all, that's OK also. Everyone to their own.
    I will not advertise the product I use here, but will give a link to anybody who requests it via a PM.
    Very interested to hear everyone's thoughts, as it may also help new members to the forum.

2. Mani

Mani Active Member

I'll be using vitax acer feed when I repot. It's the first time I'll be fertilising so I hope it's a good one!

3. Acerholic

Good afternoon Mani, have you used Vitax before, if so did it perform as you expected?

4. Mani

Mani Active Member

I've never used it before so will have to wait and see!

It got some good reviews online but you can't always trust online reviews!

5. Acerholic

Will look forward to your thoughts on it in a few months. Your right about reviews, Lol.

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I like osmocote in pots, and use the "repotting" mix or hydrangea. Just mix about a 1/2 teaspoon into the substrate, for about a 10l pot. I believe it is controlled, it releases more when it's warm. Works great for me.

In ground, I just use a little powdered seaweed every few years, only a tblspoon or so. In fact I was just trying to find the tub of the stuff!

Most of the nurseries use some osmocote variant, though a lot of it is custom fabricated for them.

7. Acerholic

Good afternoon E, so many people swear by Osmocote and as you say it is controlled. Far better than slow release and lasts for 6 months.
    Regarding seaweed, 100% agree it is amazing. I've used the liquid form, just add it to a watering can. It dissappears off our local nursery shelf very quickly.