Hows my pruning?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Dr. Green Thumb, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Dr. Green Thumb

Dr. Green Thumb Member

Need feedback on intrepid peach tree prune job done in late winter about 2 months before average last frost date. Thanks! I have included a before, an after, and an image of an unclean cut that I was worried about (old shears), I also dipped shears in 1/2 pine sol water solution.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Last shot implies sharper blade and or stronger cutting tool needed. In addition you may be cutting too close - all of the branch collar should instead be left intact.

Dr. Green Thumb likes this.
  3. Dr. Green Thumb

Dr. Green Thumb Member

Thank you very much. Are you able to comment on the pruning strategy as a whole? Can risk of infection be mitigated on that bad cut? Fungicide or bleach?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Definitely not bleach

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Without a 3D view it's hard to tell which way some of the branches are heading, but there should be only 3 or 4 main branches in the open center shape preferred for peach trees. Assuming that the tree is already of bearing age, about one half of the new growth should be pruned back to eliminate weak bearing branches. Any new growth pointing straight up or toward the center should be removed completely. You should decide on the maximum desireable height of the tree and remove anything higher.

6. Dr. Green Thumb

Dr. Green Thumb Member

Thank you Vitog

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon, if the branch removed was from disease then a fungacide is definatly preferable. If it was just a late Winter prune then IMO I would let it heal over naturally. No wound paste etc etc.
    Regarding the stub left, I would invest in a good pruning saw. The size branch warrants this.