Worried about citrus after Texas weather

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Apismire, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Apismire

Apismire New Member

I'm in Austin TX. Really worried about my owari satsuma sapling I just planted last year. Not sure it will come back after the freeze. ☹

2. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

It may likely be able to survive, but will suffer a permanent setback.

Austin is classified in climate zone 8b, which should normally be just fine for Satsumas, but this year you had temperatures that were more like something on the border of an 8a/7b winter.

What would probably help your little Satsuma is to keep it well watered this summer (beginning in April), and maybe give it some shade tarp to protect it from the scorching sun (due to the Texas climate that you live in), at least for the first year.

You might also want to consider an Arctic Frost Satsuma, which is supposed to be a little more hardy to better be able to survive in central Texas.

3. McP82

McP82 New Member

I was wondering, does anyone know whether Greece is affected by waves of cold these days? I was eyeing some of these flats in Greece for when the whole COVID thing is over, and would like to be able to grow small citrus trees and other Mediteranean plants on my balcony without having to worry too much.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  4. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

I think Greece should be fine. They don't have the type of freak cold temperatures that can sometimes roll into the US Southeast.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years