My little corners of Japanese influence in my garden

Discussion in 'Japanese Gardens' started by Acerholic, May 3, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I thought I would add this one for I @Shin-Deshojo deshojo. My Japanese water spout seen through my Acer palmatum 'Green dissectum'.
    Its not all about bright Spring or Summer days.
    IMG_20210209_182831894.jpg

Nik, Margot and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  2. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Nice picture D,
    how great is to be able to enjoy a garden even at night.
    Dissectums without leaves really do the job.

3. Acerholic

Thankyou I, but I expect you fully appreciate maples without leaves more than most as a Bonsai enthusiast.

4. Shin-Deshojo

Now that you mention it, I have to say that it is true and it does help to appreciate ornamental maples in the winter, maybe also helps when pruning is needed.
    I did prune slightly each branches and removed some from my tallest Shishigashira in early autumn by using basic bonsai techniques.
    The result without leaves was pleasant, now I wait the end of spring to see if I improved the esthetical aspect of the tree.

5. Acerholic

I carry out my pruning at the end of Winter and then again some tidying at the end of June. Mine are in the ground and in pots so not Bonsai, this may be the difference in our methods. I always worry about pruning during Autumn as I did have problems doing this many years ago with fungal infections, so stopped this practice and have not had a problem since. It might be a climate thing, as you are further South.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  6. Shin-Deshojo

Not sure my friend, I think I should apply the same schedule as yours as we have rainy autumn and spring here.

I did it that without thinking too much and as i had moved to another house and had never pruned that tree in 6 years, I thought it was the opportunity.
    But definitely not the best time to do it.

7. Acerholic

I think it's the best times to prune, but others do have different methods. It has worked for me and friends who have large and healthy collections. So there might be something in it. But I'm always open to new thoughts and of course science !! But again the old saying, of 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' comes to mind.

8. Shin-Deshojo

One thing about japanese maples as bonsai that I often read is that the best time to do big cuts is when the first flush as hardened, so the tree have time to heal the scars with the help of leaves before autumn.
    I guess it is around mid June so I agree with you about not pruning maples in autumn to prevent diseases.
    Better to not take risks as loosing a maple always hurt so much.

Have a good night D.

9. Acerholic

Good morning I, couldn't agree more.

10. Acerholic

Its the 19th of April 2021, the sun is shining and there was no overnight frost, so my morning coffee in my garden was spent looking at one of my Japanese style areas with the Acer palmatum VAR dissectum 'Green' and 'Emerald lace' just starting to leaf out.
    Now it's Spring!!
    Green dissectum 198.JPG

Keith Elliott likes this.
  11. Shin-Deshojo

Good morning D,
    That is really nice, the painted fences do their job for the contrast with the maples's leaves and i like your bamboo fountain.

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Good morning I, thankyou for noticing the fencing, lol. All new a few weeks ago and I made sure it was going to be painted black for my maples. I try my best to think about what surrounds all my trees and other plants tbh.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  13. Shin-Deshojo

And you did right D,
    IMO the background is something to work on whenever it's possible.
    Good job.

Acerholic likes this.
  14. Acerholic

I've learnt from you Bonsai enthusiasts, lol.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.