Identification: 5-sided Trunk. What is this?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Melinda Messenger, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Melinda Messenger

Melinda Messenger New Member

This houseplant was a tiny 1" sprout when I got it 3 years ago from a friend who had the 6' tall parent plant sitting in full sunlight. The 5-sided stalk reminds me of a thornless cactus, but it has large dark green leaves that grow directly out of the stalk and get up to 12+ inches in length. Mine has now grown new "branches" which it's never done before. However. last year it started dropping seeds off of it's stalk which grew into new plants. Anyone know what this is and any care tips? Thanx. Melinda of North Idaho, USA

Attached Files:

2. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening Melinda and welcome to the forum. I agree with @pierrot ID, Euphorbia leuconeura common name Madagascar jewel.
    It needs to be in a very free draining compost, but kept moist. Only water when the compost feels that it is drying out. It is an understory plant in it's native lands so shade or partial shade is needed. A bright location by a South facing window will not do it any good at all.

4. Melinda Messenger

5. Melinda Messenger

Thank you for this information. No wonder then that the parent tree was always so shriveled up every week when I saw it. It was in a huge, south facing window with no shade whatsoever and the soil was completely dried out when I watered it.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

One word of caution: as with most other Euphorbia species, the white latex-like sap is toxic and can cause skin burns on some people. Handle with care; avoid contact with any white sap leaking from any cuts or damage on the plant.

Acerholic likes this.
  7. emandeli

emandeli Member

Very interesting plant. I’ve never seen one before (but new to plants in general). I like it’s uniqueness.