Maples from French nursery

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Dec 28, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

We'll get over I'm sure. Different approaches to try and tackle the problem, but who knows the best way to put an end to a worldwide pandemic ?

I ordered a book from an association that sells second-hand books, "Pars tard et reviens tard".

I had read another novel from the same author but didn't know what the plot was about and... it was about murders disguised as a new black plague epidemic with thousands of people flipping out !

I think there is an adaptation in English, I found it on Wikipedia, and I didn't know there was a film too :
    "Have Mercy on Us All"

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Just started reading it, thanks for the tip Alain. Didn't realise that Fred was a woman, lol.

3. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Just received my order from la feuillade.
    2 kasagi yama and 1 momoiro koyasan.

I replaced the pixie by a second kasagi yama as they are a little harder to find in my area than pixie.
    Maybe I should had stick with pixie as the second kasagi is less developed than the others 2.

I will post better pictures later once they are potted.

20210215_104652.jpg
    20210215_105152.jpg
    20210215_105440.jpg
    20210215_105446.jpg
    20210215_105651.jpg
    20210215_105658.jpg
    20210215_105707.jpg
    20210215_110327.jpg

AlainK, Acerholic and emery like this.
  4. Acerholic

Christmas 2. Lol. They look really good quality trees I. Great posting about the packaging from this nursery. Always a help to members who are considering a purchase.
    Look forward to seeing photos of them leaf out.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here's the replacement from La Feuillade, a nice 'Komachi kime' with a well healed graft that fits perfectly into a 5l pot.

For honesty, quality and value for money they deserve a very high rating.

Attached Files:

AlainK and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  6. Acerholic

Hi E, is that Komachi hime 'typo'? Or Beni komachi? Regarding La Feuillade, I will update the resources page with your comments.

7. emery

'Komachi hime' is a different maple. 'Komachi beni' I have listed as from 1894, and 'Beni komachi' from 1975, but no indication they're synonyms, curiously. If you have Vertrees you can look up 'Komachi hime' there.

8. Acerholic

This is why I asked, you have stated Komachi kime.

9. emery

Gotcha! I understood D, just clearing it up for the "Peanut Gallery". (I think in the US the "lurkers" :) in the galleries really did through peanut shells at the congress, which IIRC is where this comes from). Sorry, didn't mean to seem brusque.

Then was surprised that Beni komachi and komachi beni aren't listed as synonyms.

I don't have any info on where 'Komach hime' comes from, do you (or anyone) know?

10. Acerholic

Unfortunately not E, only know its translation is 'Beautiful little girl'. Makes any of us with daughters and indeed granddaughters as I have, want to go straight out and buy one.
    I have Kotohime btw, will be interesting to see the similarities between the two this year on leaf tip colour.
    Yours looks a lovley healthy specimen btw.

11. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Though I've had a very limited experience with them, I share this opinion.

I remember when I got two plants with dark spots on the trunk that developped into cankers and how hard it was to get one replacement from a "very well-known" French provider I won't name. That's when I took the habit of taking photos of the trees I receive, the package, when opening it, and close-ups of the trees.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.