Maples Winter bare bones

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Oct 25, 2020.

1. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

We are getting slammed again. Expecting around 8" of heavy wet stuff.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Snow and maple bare bones certainly go well together J. It's forecast here in the next few days, they are calling it the beast from the East 2. Not sure about beast. But I know people in the UK panick if we get just a dusting, ie 1/4 inch. So 8 inches would be catastrophic and an end to everything!!!!!! LOL.

Great photos J, as always.

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Very cold weather ahead here too, -6°C at the end of the week : I put a few of my trees (in particular Acer laevigatum) in the garage...

4. Acerholic

Good morning Alain. At least the French Six nations win will warm the cockles so to speak.
    Looking at the long range forecast here it's not going to get much warmer anytime soon. Our babies will stay asleep a bit longer thank goodness.

AlainK likes this.
  5. Nik

Nik Contributor

Just like dangerine49, we got additional 8” yesterday on top of what was left from the previous storm. More snow expected tomorrow and over the weekend.. it’s a bit much but this is what February is around here.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

Good afternoon N and not a footprint in sight, even the critters are tucked up somewhere warm now. You, J @dangerine49 and I @Shin-Deshojo are providing some stunning and amazing Winter snow photos.

7. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Most snow we’ve had in a few years and freezing temps this week, finally a touch of winter!

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Good afternoon M, looks very cold, but oh so lovely at the same time. Enjoyed your photos. The hint of sun made it a perfect Winters scene.

9. AlainK

In the foreground, 'Momoiro koya-san' under the golden light of yesterday's evening :

jardin_210213a.jpg

Nik, Acerholic, emery and 2 others like this.
  10. Acerholic

That is a wonderful photo Alain, definatly a keeper. The thaw will start any hour now. My pruning is going to begin next week looking at the forecast. Expect you will be the same?

11. AlainK

Yes. There are still patches of snow, especially where there are just a few hours of sun during the day but it was 5°C this afternoon. We still had not -5, but at least -7 last night.

I took out the few maples I had put inside the garage just before lunch (0.7°C), and they forecast +2°C tonight, but I wanted to stay on the safe side so I put them back inside before sunset - after France won 15 to Ireland 13, YEAH! Nice game, but not as breathtaking than yesterday's Sco. vs Wales...;-)

jardin_210214a.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Nik likes this.
  12. AlainK

It seems the frosts have enhanced the colours of 'Sango kaku' (1) and 'Bi-hoo' (2&3) :

acerp_sangok02_210216a.jpg acerp-bihoo_210216b.jpg acerp-bihoo_210216a.jpg

Nik and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  13. Acerholic

Just thought I would add my Sangu Kaku on here as it looks like this thread is coming to an end for Winter 2020 at least.
    Sangu kaku 310.JPG Sangu kaku 700.JPG

Nik, Shin-Deshojo and AlainK like this.
  14. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Most of my potted japanese maples before they start leafing out.
    I hope I do not break any rule or offend anyone posting bonsais.

The cultivars are:
    'Shishigashira x4
    'Koto hime x4
    'Deshojo x2
    'Sango kaku
    'Seigen
    'Palmatum x2
    'Jerre schwartz

20210217_164417.jpg
    20210217_164424.jpg
    20210217_164431.jpg
    20210217_164442.jpg
    20210217_164457.jpg
    20210217_164503.jpg
    20210217_164510.jpg
    20210217_164514.jpg
    20210217_164521.jpg

Attached Files:

Nik, emery, AlainK and 1 other person like this.
  15. Acerholic

Absolutely not I. They are amazing maples whether as Bonsai, potted or in the ground. Really enjoyed seeing some of your collection. I don't have Seigen, will look forward to you posting it once it leafs out. Quick question, do you use Akadama? Or as a lot are these days, 'Molar clay'?
    Have seen a lot of enthusiasts going over to cat litter also due to Akadama prices.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  16. Shin-Deshojo

Thank you D,

The seigen is an airlayer from 2020 and has not much roots so I have yet to see if he leaf out and survives.
    I have another bigger one in the ground but since I bought them i have never seen any pink color in spring...maybe they are 'Seigen Aureum'.
    I will post pictures of both when full leafed.

I do use akadama but you are right about the high cost of it.
    I used to buy cat liter in the Netherlands some years ago but I couldn't find them anymore on the market.
    Did not found an alternative so far.

17. Acerholic

Over here people are using pink cat litter, which is 100% molar clay. Think it's from Tesco, so not sure if they are in Belgium.
    Look forward to your Seigen in the weeks to come.
    My little Kotohime is just starting to leaf out, such a cute tree. See you have 4, so you obviously think so too.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  18. Shin-Deshojo

Thank youfor the infos, i will see if i can find it here.

Yes 4 kotohime bonsai (2 from Japan,1 airlayer and my proud first jm cutting success.
    Also have 3 more that are going to be planted in the garden.

I am like a kid when I go to a nursery and often end picking the same cultivar twice or more when like it.
    I need to stop, I have to many trees lol.

Acerholic likes this.
  19. Acerholic

How many times have I heard that on the forum, Lol. But it's the best hobby in the world, 'so why not have just one more.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  20. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Have you any idea where the largest collection may be? Also, do you know where the largest selection open to the public is?

21. Shin-Deshojo

Haha so true!

2 pictures of my cutting:

Screenshot_20210217-214930_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210217-214941_Gallery.jpg

Nik, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  22. Shin-Deshojo

Not really, M. but I'll be happy to know more about that.
    I am sure most of the members here have way more trees than me.
    I was just referring to the fact that I need to stop buying multiple times the same cultivars.

23. Acerholic

There are some massive private collections, a good friend of mine has over 600. But the ever increasing new cultivars means that if you have the room and the money then collections in the thousands is not beyond probability. But IMO there are so many that are so very similar to each other, it is only a name tag that tells the difference. It is easy to get lulled into buying one more. I fall into that trap often!!! Although in my relatively small collection of 160, I do know each one and it's peculiarities and differences. A bit like a parent with identical twins. Lol.
    Over here, the Westonbirt Arboretum has the national collection. So I believe that is the largest. But I maybe wrong.

24. Shin-Deshojo

That's when you know you are passionated, I sometimes surprise myself when I look at my trees regardless the season and can tell the name of each and his particularities to a non initiate.

160 Japanese maples, that's not bad at all, I can see why you are waiting spring.

25. Acerholic

Just seen our weather forecast for this Sunday, 17°C. Looks like it is going to arrive. But I know Winter will come back and bite !!! Just as the tender young leaves arrive. But you never know.....