Calamondin tree leaves turning yellow/brown

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Joker0116, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Joker0116

Joker0116 New Member

my wife I just bought this calamondin tree on 2-5-21, then the next day some leaves are now turning yellow/brown?not really sure what is happening, or how to fix this.I reside in BC if that helps.

my plan is to keep it indoors, and during summer take it outside for some sun.

any info will be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Attached Files:

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

could it have been frozen during transport?

3. Joker0116

Joker0116 New Member

so basically the leaves won't recover? should I remove the yellow leaves then?

4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Please, don't starve your tree! Citruses do need some light! Don't keep your plant in that dark place or at least provide a grow light!

5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

No! Let the tree manages its leaves by itself. If they drop, then remove dropped leaves.

6. Joker0116

Joker0116 New Member

So basically when I paid at the time, walked out the store while the temp was around -40.

Yea some leaves are now starting to drop. Freaking sucks! What do you recommend I should do at the moment?

7. Will B

Will B Active Member

Oooh yah, that would do it quickly. The damaged leaves are unlikely to recover. You can pick the leaves off if you like, but citrus are generally good at dropping bad leaves by themselves, so letting the tree drop the leaves is fine. Be on the lookout for fungus though. If you see fuzz developing on any dead tissue do remove that as it can spread to healthy tissue.

Hopefully the branches did not freeze as well. If you see branches starting to die then those should be pruned off.

If you put the plant in a good location and treat it well it should recover with new leaves in a few weeks. If you want to learn what a good location is and other aspects of growing citrus I put together some pages on the topic here: Growing Citrus on Vancouver Island | Aprici

Joker0116 likes this.
  8. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

If there was -40 outside when you bought the tree, then any sensible seller would had to warn you about risk of frost bite, and provided several layers of paper packing to safeguard your trip to your car and later from car to house.

Joker0116 likes this.
  9. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Depending on the extent of leaf loss you may want to remove some or even all of the fruit in order to redirect the tree's energy towards recovery. Also keep in mind the tree will require less moisture with the loss of leaves and so water accordingly.

Joker0116 likes this.
  10. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

You should consider also talking to the owner/manager of the store where you bought the tree. I'll bet it wasn't a proper garden centre. Trained employees should know better than to let you take an unprotected plant from a warm environment out into such cruel temperatures. If the tree dies, you ought to be reimbursed for the cost of it.

11. Joker0116

Joker0116 New Member

I'll be stopping by there later today in the morning, been watching my plants leaves just dropping one by one every freaking minute or so.

Attached Files:

12. vbx

vbx Active Member

looks like over watering/environmental changes.

13. Joker0116

Joker0116 New Member

All leaves have fallen remove all the fruits, hopefully new leaves will grow back?

14. vbx

vbx Active Member

If the roots looks okay, it should recover. Indoor plants only need watering once or twice a month depending on if a heater is running and blowing on it.

Joker0116 likes this.
  15. Joker0116

Joker0116 New Member

Got my replacement calamondin tree today.

Attached Files:

Junglekeeper and wcutler like this.
  16. Junglekeeper

Will you continue to try to revive the other one?

Joker0116 likes this.
  17. vbx

vbx Active Member

Looks healthy. Don't over water!

18. Will B

Will B Active Member

definitely try to revive the other one if you still have it. A citrus can easily lose all its leaves and recover well with a bit of care. Congrats on finding a nice place that replaced your tree! Sounds like a happy ending :-)

Joker0116 likes this.
  19. Joker0116

Joker0116 New Member

Yee, I will try too, I hope it does. Surprised they let me keep it. Also the employee who sold it to me, from what the owner told me is that they were new. So yea. Haha

20. Joker0116

Joker0116 New Member

How often should I water?

21. Joker0116

Joker0116 New Member

Yea was happy to find another one. I will try to revive other tree, I'll try to post and update here, might need to put a reminder on my phone, haha

22. Junglekeeper

Have a look at the following thread for some suggestions on reviving the first tree going forward; you may find some useful information there.

Calamondin help needed

Joker0116 likes this.
  23. vbx

vbx Active Member

Indoors? No more than twice a month. But check the soil. If still moist. No need to water.

24. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

When all leaves are dropped, the watering must be very modest. There is no rule of thumb, because a lot is depending on temperature, air moisture level, air flow (vicinity to heating or windows), substrate, container size etc. I wouldn't water more than once a month. Actually I water my citruses in winter less than once a month, despite they have all leaves on, and my containers are a lot smaller. But they are in a cool and high humidity room.

Joker0116 likes this.
  25. Joker0116

Joker0116 New Member

Would like you advice on when can I repot my new tree into a bigger pot, what soil you recommend I use. Also can ni repot my first tree or leave it as is for now till there is new growth?

Also I hvent watered my replacement plant yet.soil does look little moist still.