Maples Winter bare bones

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@dangerine49, good afternoon J, what amazing photos, a new perspective to give even more interest in maples on the forum and other plants of course.
    Re Garnet not dropping it's leaves, I've had several over the years that have done this. I always defoliate by hand if they won't drop. I've always remembered many decades ago being told by an old maple grower that leaves should be removed if they fail to drop, to prevent disease.

dangerine49 likes this.
  2. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Thanks. I'll do that next time I'm walking Harry!

3. Acerholic

Well the forecast was spot on, we awoke to snow covering everything. All so pretty and cheerful on the bare bones and the new buds are there to be seen all ready for two months time.
    Green dissectum 310.JPG Butterfly 310.JPG Ariaki nomura 310.JPG Red dissectum 310.JPG Sangu kaku 310.JPG Red flash 310.JPG

LoverOfMaples, zfrittz, emery and 6 others like this.
  4. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

13 year old Baldsmith
    JM jungle- mess
    Viridis
    Mess
    20 year old osakazuki in a 175 ltr pot needs moving into a 250..it’s so heavy!

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, Nik, zfrittz and 4 others like this.
  5. Acerholic

That's some very big pots R, 250ltr you will start needing a Fork lift, Lol.

LoverOfMaples and AlainK like this.
  6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Kewl... Almost as well-tended as mine! ;0)

dicky5ash likes this.
  7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Came across this little nest in A. campestre 'Nanum' today. Quite well hidden!

IMG_20210130_142523_v1.jpg IMG_20210130_142537_v1.jpg

dicky5ash, MapleMO, Nik and 4 others like this.
  8. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Smart choice for a nest - camouflaged by the tree and protected by the cage.

Nik, Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  9. AlainK

A nest fell from my big prunus, less than 20 cm in diameter outside, I'm not sure but maybe it was a blackbird's nest. There's another one still up the tree (some 8 metres high) I hope it's not a magpie's : I can often see some around, but they're predators, I much prefer the smaller ones around.

There's also a couple of "tourterelles", I don't know if they're the same couple every year, but like pidgeons, they don't seem to have had any training on how to build a nest : it falls everytime there's a strong wind, but apparently, they seem to reproduce well enough. When I was a kid, in Spring, the ones that our neighbour kept in a (very) big birdcage would wake us up in the morning. "CuKrru, çuKrru, çuKrru,..." my father would imitate ;0)

Each year - maybe as late as June actually, I wait for their call to wake up ;°)

Makes think of a law that was passed a couple of days here (or a decree, or a bill, but that's now part of the jurisdiction) :

Former city dwellers can't sue their neighbours : in the countryside they can't sue the locals because they've got sheep that "baaa", roosters that "cock-a-doodle-do", or cicadas that prevent them to get to sleep (frankly, cicadas in summer are worse than living by a motorway in a big city !)

I still see a lot of small birds of several species every day in my very small garden, almost ashamed to plan mowing the lawn some day...

10. Nik

Nik Contributor

Every year we get nests of American robin (Turdus migratorius) with amazing blue colored eggs, chipping sparrow (Spizella passerina), eastern phoebe under the deck (Sayornis phoebe), and most exciting, ruby throated hummingbird (Archilochus colubris), just few feet from our kitchen windows (picture below). They camouflage the nest with lichen, plenty of it in the yard...

Attached Files:

zfrittz, emery, dangerine49 and 2 others like this.
  11. Nik

Nik Contributor

Some maple bare bones in deep snow. The third one is a rather tall 2 years old seedling, but you wouldn’t know it looking at it now.

Attached Files:

12. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wow! Just got off a meeting with a guy in MA who had 15". How much fell at your place @Nik

13. Nik

Nik Contributor

About the same, 14-15”. Heavy wet stuff.

14. Acerholic

Never see anything like that in the South of England. We had one inch in January after eight years of waiting.

15. Acerholic

This is my 'Emperor 1' bare bones today with buds swelling very nicely. This cultivar is always one of the last to leaf out, so I'm surprised to see it like this at the beginning of February.
    Very cold all next week so that will slow things down a bit.

Attached Files:

16. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

We got about 12" here. Finally got around to checking in and posting some pics.

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  17. Acerholic

Now that is deep J, what does Maggie think of it ? Your maples will be fast asleep for some time looking at all that white stuff. Aaaaarrhh Harry the pirate here to give us all a smile once again.

18. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Don't know if Maggie has actually seen her first snowfall. We are visiting her this afternoon. But she's pretty happy about things in general:

Attached Files:

zfrittz, emery, Margot and 1 other person like this.
  19. Acerholic

Now if anyone is feeling down or depressed by the state of everything atm, just look at these beautiful photos of Maggie and say it hasn't brought a smile to your face...... It has here, thankyou J.

dangerine49 likes this.
  20. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Shishigashira at left, Ornatum at right, and an unknown dissectum in the back that could be crimson queen or garnet:

20210124_092633.jpg

Inaba shidare behind dissectum viridis:

20210114_082839.jpg

Bloodgood or artropurpureum:

20210114_082831.jpg

Third next pics are the unknown dissectum from first picture:

20210114_082641.jpg
    20210114_082725.jpg
    20210114_082719.jpg

Ornatum:

20210114_082621.jpg

Nik, zfrittz, opusoculi and 5 others like this.
  21. Acerholic

22. AlainK

Oh my! Haven't seen that in years...

23. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Thank you,
    They are from 2 or 3 weeks ago.
    The snow is gone but could come back this week.

24. Acerholic

Just looked at your forecast, think you maybe right..

25. AlainK

I haven't noticed swelling on most of mine except these two :

The Acer laevigatum I repotted 2 weeks ago. Of course I kept them about a week in my gagarge (about 13°c) for a couple of days and they're in a protected area, but they're very early. See this thread :

Acer laevigatum

Another one that seems to be a bit early is my Acer elegantulum that already shows some green :

acer-eleg02_200205a.jpg acer-eleg02_200205b.jpg

I also have a potted Pseudocydonia (Chinese quince) which is always very early, last year it lost all its new leaves but fortunately pulled out new ones. Once again, it's very, very early, but this year, I put it close to the garge door so on Sunday I'll take it inside again ;°)

I already noticed that species that are historically from the north and colonized further south (in thousands of years) are the last ones to bud out, they kept a kind od genetic clock in their genes, like Fagus or Fraxinus.

Nik, zfrittz and opusoculi like this.