What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Harcuvar

Harcuvar Member

@Margot

You live in the hub of shore pine and mountain hemlock land!

Anton Nijhuis is an arborist and horticulturist from there, as well. He’s the one most of us know down in WA/OR.

Anything going into the Kennett Collection is world class. Very impressive!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  2. Nik

Nik Contributor

The heavy snow is just about to hit us. We are expecting about 15 inches total.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

That looks ominous N. As you said before, February is the snowy season for you.

4. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi D, I am not looking forward to cleanup tomorrow morning... But on a positive note our struggling Christmas tree looks nice in the yard at the beginning of the storm.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez and Acerholic like this.
  5. Nik

Nik Contributor

And here is our small deck upstairs with my injured and misshapen A. p. ‘Rhode Island Red’. It is a winter wonderland..

Attached Files:

monicasanchez likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Definatly!!! Something very wonderful about pure white snow.

7. Acerholic

8. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well mine are keeping nicely quiet !! This morning at 8.00am again the 3rd dumping of snow this year in West Yorkshire and the deepest yet 6" in the garden , amber snow alerts given very unusual and no doubt more to follow?

Attached Files:

Nik and monicasanchez like this.
  9. Acerholic

Perhaps we are going to have a fairly normal year 're seasons' M. Looks like yours are going to be asleep well into March looking at the forecast. I usually do all my pruning at the end of February, but it might be a bit later even for my soft southerner maples, Lol.

10. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Here, we've had some very mild weather in the past few days, 8-9 at night, 12-14 in the afternoon. When there's some sun between the few clouds, like this afternoon, it feels like March. Doesn't it look like March with the flowering apricot ?

jardin_210202a.jpg jardin_210202b.jpg

In the south-west, a lot of rain and some areas are flooded. I saw the map of of France on TV yesterday, a quarter of the country was in orange for the floods, the rest was yellow and Loiret was one of only 4 "départements" in green (there are over 90 "dépts. in mainland france).

I also watched the snow tempest on the east of the USA, very impressive.

Nik likes this.
  11. Acerholic

I really hope that the water you are getting now is a hint of what you might get and could do with this Summer, after the last few years of severe droughts.

12. Nik

Nik Contributor

I thought I’d share a picture that our neighbors sent us from this weekend. It was so cold that the pond close by (about 200 yards from our house) was frozen solid and kids were playing ice hockey. I did not see them, I just heard the commotion...
    Perhaps not safe for that anymore, since temperature is above freezing today.

Attached Files:

Margot, Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  13. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

No one can tell. The temperatures will apparently drop after the week-end. Yoyo weather...

meteo_210207.jpg

Saw a video archive about the floods in England 2000/2001. In the comments, people would compare it to a sponge that can't take any more.

Where I live a rather long period of reasonably rainy water in Autumn/Winter will recharge the "water table", so if there's a drought, farmers will have more to water the fields.

When I went to Scotland for a school-year in the Summer of 1976, there were messages advising the locals to take showers instead of baths to save water. I found it rather funny : here in France, a shower in the morning was already the best way to sart a day, I was very surprised to see that, in those times, you had to buy adaptators to make a shower from the cold/hot taps in the bathroom ;°)

Different cultures ;-) It's been changing a little since, but - sorry for the brexiters - a French, or even a Polish plumber could make a fortune in England <LOL>

14. Acerholic

Ahh the Summer of 76, Nothing has ever beaten that over here. Regarding plumbers, there is so much unemployment now due to Covid, more are wanting to leave. So the French and Polish plumbers are better off where they are. LOL.

15. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Pandemics - weather - demographics - all play a role in the economy. Here in my small corner of the world, tradespeople are in great demand as retirerees who would normally spend their money on holidays in sunny climes are instead embarking on home renovations. Plumbers, among many others, are in demand.

16. Acerholic

All around where I live I've never seen so much home renovations going on and more importantly the gardens are looking wonderful. But the one good thing to come out of all of this is seeing families out walking together. Teenagers as well, Lol.

17. Nik

Nik Contributor

Melting snow with deer tracks and somewhat cloudy skies, but temperature is just above freezing, so I am happy with that. Good day overall.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  18. Acerholic

They can't hide with those tell tell tracks. You can see where they have been and where they are going. Nice to see the break in the clouds N.

19. Margot

Snow can be as useful as trail cameras to reveal who has been where in the garden - so long as you can identify the tracks.

20. Acerholic

Have used this many times in my job. As animals are very much creatures of habit, 'it works'.

21. Margot

I was shocked to see our 14-day forecast; unbelievable for this rainy part of the world, especially in February which is often the coldest month too!

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

So very dry Margot, hope that's not a sign of things to come for 2021.

23. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Well, a bit of a slowdown for us on the horizon.
    So far since Jan 1st 414 mm/ 16.29 in. rain.
    Right at 0˚C now.

24. Acerholic

Good afternoon G, I think your weather is heading our way in a few days. Forecasts are saying a touch over 0°C during the day with rain/snow for a week. That will slow Spring down a little.

25. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

We have a forecast for heavy snow and -9C for a week or so, so heaviest frost in quite a few years. It seems after 24 years the ice can be thick enough for a Dutch traditional 200km ice-skating event, which due to corona cannot take place unfortunately, crazy times.