Ferns: Matteuccia struthiopteris - Ostrich Fern

Discussion in 'Plants with Spores (Ferns, Mosses, et al.)' started by wcutler, Jul 30, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I posted Three ferns for ID three years ago, and two of them were ferns I've been wondering about for a while in the West End. I finally came up with some names, two of which were in that posting. Maybe this time I'll learn them. I'll be happy to be corrected on the name of this, but I really think I have it - Matteuccia struthiopteris - Ostrich Fern. I found the descriptions on this page really helpful: Tangled Web: Ostrich Fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris).

This first group of photos is from June 5. Of note are the deeply grooved stipe and the bottom pinnae sort of clasping it.
    Matteuccia-struthiopteris_ParkBoardBuilding_Cutler_20200605_144919.jpg Matteuccia-struthiopteris_ParkBoardBuilding_Cutler_20200605_144933.jpg Matteuccia-struthiopteris_ParkBoardBuilding_Cutler_20200605_145019.jpg Matteuccia-struthiopteris_ParkBoardBuilding_Cutler_20200605_145147.jpg
    Matteuccia-struthiopteris_ParkBoardBuilding_Cutler_20200605_145038.jpg Matteuccia-struthiopteris_ParkBoardBuilding_Cutler_20200605_145040.jpg Matteuccia-struthiopteris_ParkBoardBuilding_Cutler_20200605_145117.jpg Matteuccia-struthiopteris_ParkBoardBuilding_Cutler_20200605_145314.jpg

These are from today, July 30. I don't know if the leaves are supposed to get brown and dried-looking, but it really helps to see the structure. And today, there are fertile fronds. I wasn't initially sure that's what they were, so took the last photo to show what new baby fronds look like.
    Matteuccia-struthiopteris_ParkBoardBuilding_Cutler_20200730_154329.jpg Matteuccia-struthiopteris_ParkBoardBuilding_Cutler_20200730_154349.jpg Matteuccia-struthiopteris_ParkBoardBuilding_Cutler_20200730_154354.jpg
    Matteuccia-struthiopteris_ParkBoardBuilding_Cutler_20200730_154411.jpg Matteuccia-struthiopteris_ParkBoardBuilding_Cutler_20200730_154504.jpg Matteuccia-struthiopteris_ParkBoardBuilding_Cutler_20200730_154539.jpg

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@wcutler, good morning Wendy, regarding browing of the fronds. The older fronds (normally two years of age ) will turn brown from the bottom and die. Other browning from sun burn also occurs when ferns are planted away from the shade they thrive in.
    Lovely photos Wendy, the second and third from last are amazing.

3. Nik

Nik Contributor

One of my favorite ferns. I love the large size, almost perfect shape...
    Since I cannot grow tree ferns in our climate, this one is a distant second best.
    Some time ago I purchased an ‘European’ form of the same species, half the size and not spreading much. I like it, but not as much as the typical form.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  4. Nik

Nik Contributor

D, in our climate no fronds survive past one year.

5. Acerholic

@Nik , that's such a shame, but on the positive side, look at what you do have that so many of us don't.
    The great thing about these forums, is that we can all share our plants and experiences of visits etc etc. I'm enjoying it so much, hope you are too N.

Nik likes this.
  6. Nik

Nik Contributor

I thought this looked nice poking through the snow today.

Attached Files:

Daniel Mosquin, wcutler and Acerholic like this.
  7. Acerholic

Quite surreal N and very lonely at the same time if you know what I mean.

8. Nik

Nik Contributor

I have two different forms of this fern. One is an ‘European’ , unfurling earlier, less aggressive in spreading, and modest in size, up to 40 cm tall (first two pictures). Then the ‘regular’ form, spreading wide and very tall, a meter or more (rest of the photos).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  9. Acerholic

There is a grace in the way they unfurl, this is such a special time of the year. To capture this happening by the way of photos keeps the image with us. Very enjoyable N.