What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

The good thing with that N is that you know what to expect and so do your plants. Plants here don't know when to go to sleep or wake up Lol.

2. Acerholic

We will, but our plants are getting so very confused.....

3. Nik

Nik Contributor

Typical weather for us these days, even though I don’t like it (a bit too cold). Temperature in C.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

Your plants are very fast asleep N. Tbh I think with those temperatures Hybernation seems the best idea all round.

5. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Hello, around here the temperatures have risen, today we have between 20ºC and 9ºC, hopefully they will go down because many maples already have swollen shoots and if they continue like this in 8 or 10 days they can begin to grow.
    Another thing that is happening in this area, are the earthquakes that are being felt every half hour approximately today there have been 2 of 3,3 mbLg 1 of 3,6 mbLg and another of 4,3 mbLg and 1,8 a 2,2, non-stop day and night, so we have been for several days.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

Good evening J, that is so worrying, is that normal for your area, or is this out of the ordinary ? 20 °C in January is very warm, but I know you are in a hotter climate. That being said we had 14° C today so the high temperature is being experienced in a lot of places at the moment.

With all the virus problems, the last thing you need is another disaster.
    Do keep safe.

7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Wow! It sounds like an average month of June - 10 years ago ^_^

Earthquakes : my nieces who were raised in Nice know about it, no wonder. The glasses in the cupboard would play a clinging melody.

What was more surprising was when my sister who lives in Rochefort told me that one day, she heard the thunder on a perfectly clear day and saw the tile floor in her living room waving like a flag in the wind.

Thanks to global warming, we'll have more of these : the ice-caps are melting, the glaciers in Groenland too. Less pressure on the ground where there is already a series of fractures and volcanoes, thousands of tons of ice will be gone, more volcanoes eruptions like the Eyjafjallajökull in 2010 - even the name will make you shrink from fear !!!.

Clouds that will make the earth colder, lots of sulfur gases, bad days coming, global warming will be followed by a long, deadly ace age, few will survive.

Sinners, repent !

fin.jpg

Huh huh... ;0)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  8. Acerholic

Good morning Alain, I woke up 2 hours ago with all positive thoughts for the day, then I read your post !!!! Lol.

Margot likes this.
  9. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Good morning, everything that is happening is not normal at all, it is not logical those temperatures on the dates we are here, it should be quite cold, but it is getting hotter, for the next week they say that the temperatures will drop, hopefully it will be So, if it doesn't cool down soon, I'll be posting photos of my maples with all the leaves.
    and then there are the earthquakes, every day you have to pick up something that falls from the shelves, in less than a month we have more than 200 earthquakes and seismologists predict that they will last for several weeks, they call it a swarm of earthquakes what is this producing, Grenada is on the edge of the Eurasian and African tectonic plates, which approximate between 4 and 5 millimeters per year.
    Here you can see some damage and people staying in the street for fear that buildings will collapse.

Attached Files:

10. Nik

Nik Contributor

Here is a picture from an article in the New York Times from yesterday about extreme weather if global warming trends continue...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  11. Acerholic

At those temperatures I think you are definatly going to be first J.

12. Acerholic

Think I'm in for Water World looking at the map N. Hmm wasn't there a film about that !!!?

13. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

As private Fraser in "Dads army" would say " Were doomed were all doomed " :) :)

14. Acerholic

I think Fraser was probably right. But let's hope for all our sakes he's not.

15. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Joking aside it really makes you wonder , everything that is happening around the world at present, never seen anything like what is affecting the world right now in so many different aspects of life which will all have consequences for everybody !!!

16. Acerholic

Couldn't agree more M. Very worrying.

17. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I told my kids before Christmas that we had every reason to optimistic what with Covid vaccines coming and (a controversial president) going but now I'm not so sure about either. We've been holding our collective breath for so long, I'm not sure we'll remember how to breathe again.

AlainK and Nik like this.
  18. Harcuvar

Harcuvar Member

My daughter and I look at our trees everyday and enjoy their beauty. We’re grateful for that calm moment together.

Here’s a yamadori we stare at a lot lately. :)

Attached Files:

Nik, AlainK, dicky5ash and 3 others like this.
  19. Acerholic

@Harcuvar, Good morning G, great to hear from you. That's a wow Bonsai. How old is it ?

Harcuvar likes this.
  20. Harcuvar

Harcuvar Member

Trying to stay positive and enjoy this beauty while we can. I mean no offense. My dad worked for the forest service his entire career battling wildfires. It’s very tough to see what’s happening but there’s still a lot to look at and we have the time to do it.

It’s a limber pine. Rough estimate is 300. It’s been in the box for 5 years. About time for a pot.

21. Acerholic

Yes I agree it's very important to stay positive, great history regarding your Dad. How dedicated he obviously was. Not seen too much these days.
    That is a fantastic pine, one to be handed down to your daughter in the distant future. It will bring her amazing memories of your special moments together.
    Thankyou G for the information on an amazing tree.

Margot likes this.
  22. Harcuvar

Harcuvar Member

@Margot

Here’s a couple from your part of the world. A very famous yamadori guy lives in campbell river.

Can’t wait until spring. :)

Attached Files:

Nik, dicky5ash, zfrittz and 3 others like this.
  23. Nik

Nik Contributor

Clear skies and a ‘balmy’ -4C at 2 pm today.

Attached Files:

dicky5ash, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  24. Acerholic

Beautiful N.

Margot likes this.
  25. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello, @Harcuvar - I found this article about bonsai grower, Peter Wilson, in Campbell River.
    I learned that "Yamadori literally means “collecting plants in the mountains.”
    I like his quote: “The foliage of a tree is today’s news,” he said. “The branches are old news. But the trunk, that’s history.”

Big success for little trees: Campbell River bonsai added to elite collection in Pennsylvania - Campbell River Mirror

upload_2021-1-30_14-46-47.png