Help! Dying Corn husk plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Kristen Harrison, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Kristen Harrison

Kristen Harrison New Member

Hi!

I have a black thumb. Like midnight black. But my new job came with plant watering duties and my black thumb is showing...

So meet Fred. Who was fine before I started. He had a move about a year ago to the new office. I was watering him twice a week and when he started to fade I cut back to once a week.

He flowered at one point which was so cool! Then I found out it may have been him trying to reproduce because he's dying.

Please help

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I wouldn't be that hard on yourself. Fred looks better than a lot of these Dracaena massengeana plants we see here. Could we get a photo of the growing tips on the three or so stalks?
    How far is it to the window? While these plants should do ok without very good light, I'm wondering if it's not getting enough light where it is, particularly with the dark walls.

Is there drainage in the bottom of that pot? There is just the one pot, right, not another pot inside the blue one? If no drainage, I would change that right away, repot it into something with holes in the bottom, and a tray to sit on to protect the floor. For watering, I would feel how heavy the pot is after you water it, and then see how long it takes for it to feel lighter, and dry to maybe an inch below the surface. Make sure after you water it and it's heavy, that then you remove all water from the tray.

Brown tips are pretty common. Some people say to use distilled water, or water that has been sitting for a while so that the chlorine has evaporated.

3. Kristen Harrison

Thank you!! I'll take a picture of the tips when I get in the office on Monday but I really really appreciate the help!

4. Kristen Harrison

Fred is doing so much better!! We're working on replanting, it's hard in the office but he's not getting more light and is on a strict once a week watering. I included pictures of the tips.

Thank you!!

Attached Files:

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Good thing I didn't see those growing tips at the time - I'd have been more worried! But I can see that there is new growth, so you're doing very well. Thanks for coming back to show us.
    You can pull off anything that's brown.