What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Nik good afternoon N, lovely Winter photos, they really do bring cheer.
    The weather here was bad, very strong winds and rain, no flooding for us but fences down everywhere, including two of mine, so that's my weekend job and I will do my elderly neighbours as well. She was widowed last year so anything to help !!

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Today I managed to reserve couple of megawatts of free energy for my orchard for upcoming summer. A harvester was thinning neighbouring forest, and its operator was kind enough to remove some trees, that may cast shadow to my fig site and to my grape greenhouse.
    On the photo below, the harvester was working few hundred meters away from my place, yesterday afternoon, about at the time of sunset.

thinning.jpg

3. Acerholic

Great photo Sulev, you caught it perfectly.

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Cloudy this morning, I was expecting some rain, but it cleared out around 3PM, now almost blue. Cooler though, about 5°C only now at 5PM, and we're expecting some mixed rain/snow tomorrow or Sunday.

Attached Files:

5. Nik

Nik Contributor

OK, this is probably a gross violation of some rules here, but I can’t help myself posting this. (Forum moderators feel free to remove it).
    Wednesday was certainly a lovely day in the US political climate.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    MapleMO, Margot and AlainK like this.
  6. Nik

Nik Contributor

+5C at 1 pm, a lovely day for late January.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Just seen the evening news and we have snow forecast for Sunday. Will update with photos if it indeed does arrive.

8. AlainK

Maybe.

But it feels so good ;°)

My English is not so good, but I like the rhythm, the voice and the - what can I call this, enthusiasm ?...

Back to maples now. Just bought not one, but two second-hand guitars : I used to play "Maple leaf Rag" with a friend in the seventies, now, my arthritis is a definite dead-end to my (prospective) talent, but a man that hath no music in himself, etc.

I think I can still strum this kind of thing :

Nik likes this.
  9. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I often pretend my garden and I are in sync, attuned somehow, but when the temperatures drop as they have tonight (-1C at 1:30am) and with snow in the forecast - I take special satisfaction in being indoors, snug and warm. The garden can fend for itself.

10. Acerholic

Rain for us here last night followed by a very hard frost, so I agree with Margot. Indoors in front of a lovely warm fire and extra pots of coffee. Not forgetting the chocolate biscuits of course. The garden will still be there!!!

11. Nik

Nik Contributor

The coldest night of the winter so far, in few hours it will be down to -8C. I agree with Margot and Acerholic, staying warm inside is the best thing to do this time of year. It is all about ‘hygge’ these days.

Attached Files:

AlainK, Acerholic and Sulev like this.
  12. Acerholic

The snow that was forecast actually arrived, first time in 8 years for us. The last time we played on a sled with our eldest granddaughter, she's nearly 15 now.... Brought back many happy memories.
    Anyway here are some lovely Acer Campestre looking nice a few yards from our house.
    Acer campestri 310.JPG

13. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hovering around 32F (0C) at the rural BC coast nr greater Vancouver

Margot will relate to this - as will other BC gardeners — how LITTLE distance is required to make a difference in our rain ice snow at the Pacific Ocean

And therefore - our plant choices and successes

For example - Campbell River BC - snow -

Yes a few minutes’ drive south more to Margot’s turf - bare and wet highway

DriveBC Vancouver Island - Hwy 19 Cams

(The 2 middle photos below)

On our side of the Salish Sea (mainland) - where the ferry docks in Langdale is bare cold wet ... yet at top of the 101 Bypass hill climb (maybe elevation gain 500 feet from sea in approx 3 min drive) it is white thick wet snow - quite a shock to leave the clean beach driveway and end up in coast typical greasy ice snow (the first and fourth photos below)

Highway Webcams sure are handy and - a vicarious means of travel

There is a good one for Aurora in Fairbanks AK - an amazing part of the world - it’s had some green color these past few nights
    (I am not associated in any way with this private Cam) Northern Lights Aurora Webcam and Forecast in Fairbanks, Alaska — The Aurora Chasers

Attached Files:

dicky5ash likes this.
  14. Margot

What a coincidence to see these webcam shots from @Georgia Strait! Just seconds ago, I was checking highway conditions between Qualicum Beach and Tofino (where my daughter's family spent the weekend) because I was worried that the road might be in bad shape - it can be so treacherous when it's snowing. We can't reach them by phone but the road seems to be clear. I agree webcams are wonderful tools and vicarious way to travel.

Anyway, just to prove I do know this is a garden forum, here's a shot of a hellebore just outside my front door.

Attached Files:

15. Margot

I notice that, as of today, there are now a full 9 hours between sunrise and sunset. Hallelujah! It won't be until next November that days become shorter than 9-hours-long again. I can live with that. :-)

AlainK and Georgia Strait like this.
  16. Acerholic

Yes the days are getting longer, but last night it was our coldest at -5°C, although with that came a lovley sunny start to the day.

monicasanchez likes this.
  17. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I love Helebores..nice colour whilst the JM are dormant

18. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Have you wrapped your trees D? I haven’t this year -4 tonight!!

19. Acerholic

Good evening R, no I also haven't wrapped mine this year. Trying to keep them in deep sleep for as long as possible.

dicky5ash likes this.
  20. AlainK

For those who live in France, there's a site that is maintained by an association, membership 20€/year (2 packets of cigarettes) to cover the expenses of the site, but everything can be accessed for free.

For instance, these are the data for December 2020 in my area :
    Climatologie mensuelle en décembre 2020 à Orléans - Bricy | climatologie depuis 1900 - Infoclimat

And January 2021 :
    Climatologie mensuelle en janvier 2021 à Orléans - Bricy | climatologie depuis 1900 - Infoclimat

You can find the nearest weather station with stats by clicking on the map in the top-right of the page.

21. Margot

I spent some time reading the data you provided and am struck by the similarities between your weather and ours, so very far away. Your area is a bit colder but there are so many variables that affect our gardens even when we ourselves are unaware. Nuances of when the cold temperatures occur, how long they persist, whether the sun is shining, whether the wind is blowing and so on and so on register with our plants if not us. Their resilience is truly amazing and makes our lives worthwhile.

AlainK likes this.
  22. Nik

Nik Contributor

A dusting of snow this afternoon, but next week we are expecting upwards of 10 inches... February is always the coldest and wettest month of the winter around here.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez and AlainK like this.
  23. Acerholic

The dusting of snow in N @Nik photos look like the pictures my Dad used to take in the 50's. Always black, white and grey. But 10 inches of snow is something I only ever experienced once in Hampshire England in 1963.
    Now in 2021 we had a very thin dusting of the white stuff and -5°C, but tomorrow is going to be 13°C a turn around of 18 degrees.
    Snow is all gone!!!

24. Margot

Wonderful! Enjoy it while you can!

25. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi D, I have experienced 40 inches of snow here, although some (7-8) years ago. Something like 10-20 inches is typical for our area every winter, multiple times.