Newbie seeking Cedar help

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Jas123, Jan 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Jas123

Jas123 New Member

Hi friends, I’m in a dilemma as we have 40+ year old cedar trees so tall that the bottoms are bare - where we would like add some privacy below them. I’m wondering if planting new cedars below the others will stick/even work with the roots? We would have room to create a 1 or 2 foot deep bed for them, just not sure if that’s the fix. Otherwise we’ll have to go the fence route which we all know can be pricy.

appreciate any advice on this, thank you!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Fence preferable

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Just wondering how far from the trunks of your existing trees you would be able to dig a 1 to 2-foot trench? Would it be on a sunny side or in the shade?

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon @Jas123, I have filled in with conifers when first moving to our present house that had bare conifer trunks to about 10ft in height. I knew from experience that the conifers would not re shoot from old wood and It did take 'many' years to fill in with regular yearly feeding and weekly watering during dry spells, but it did work. Mine were Lelandii so the soil around the old trees was severely depleted of nutrients etc.
    Hope that's of some help.