Mosses: Dicranum sp.

Discussion in 'Plants with Spores (Ferns, Mosses, et al.)' started by Nik, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

A slightly frozen Dicranum moss in the yard. Grows on top of granite rock and has a year-round nice bright green color. Occasionally I use it for small flower arrangements.
    I think it is either D. scoparium or D. fulvum.

Attached Files:

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

That is gorgeous! Apparently there are Dicranum mosses including D. scoparium that grow widely in BC but I don't remember ever noticing it before. Now, I'll be on the lookout. I like how you've used it with the orchid too.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I think more and more people are going to be looking at moss in a different light after seeing N @Nik beautiful photos and the combination with the Orchid. 'Very special'.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Do this test: wet your finger and brush it against the tips of the leaves -- if the awns break off onto your finger, it is likely Dicranum scoparium

Nik, Acerholic and Margot like this.
  5. Acerholic

I have never heard of this test, thankyou so much for this info Daniel.

6. Nik

Nik Contributor

I did the test. The result was negative. That indicates that it is D. fulvum.
    Additional clue to the ID is the substrate. It grows on rocks which is a characteristic for fulvum. In contrast, scoparium grows on soil, definitely not the case here.
    Thanks Daniel!

7. Nik

Nik Contributor

One more photo

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Acerholic

I think you may have the most Dicranum fulvum of anybody on this great new forum N.
    If there was a competition to see who had the most rocks, then you are definatly no 1, = the moss in your garden is very happy indeed.