Indoor Olive Tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by George Kennedy, Jan 6, 2021.

1. George Kennedy

George Kennedy New Member

Hello all. I should start by saying I am not a gardner, my partner sent me an olive tree at the beginning of lockdown and it has become a hugely significant part of my life as we have been separated since March. She is in Canada and I'm in Scotland.
    The tree sits at the brightest window in the house. During the winter it gets just a few hours of direct sunlight which I have supplemented by growlights. I'm reasonably confident the tree is not over watered. The temp in the house is between 15-20 degrees.
    The tree is dropping what looks like healthy green leaves every day. They are bright and green, no yellowing, no browning. She is starting to become a bit sparse but other than that the leaves and trunk look quite healthy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    George

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@George Kennedy, good morning George and welcome to the forum, I think that to help members with your problem Olive tree, some photos would help.
    If you are unsure about how to do this I have attached a link that gives excellent tutorial.
    Attach photos and files
    My thoughts initially after reading your posting is "central heating'.
    Now I know Olive trees like warmth, but artificial heating without moisture can severely damage your tree.
    My daughter and Son in law have an Olive tree on their patio kept outside all year round, but obviously the South of England and Glasgow are world's apart with Winter temperatures.
    Is there a place that you can keep it frost free, but away from the central heating ?
    That would be my advice.

3. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

What a coincidence! Olive trees are very rare here, but today I saw, that someone moved his goods with an open trailer, and there was an olive tree among the other stuff. This car was driving at ca 60 km/h, the tree was uprotected and all the leaves were fluttering violently in the cold (we had -2ºC today) driving wind. I thought that this poor tree will drop all its leaves when it finally reaches to its new home.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  4. George Kennedy

Thanks for the replies. I live in an apartment, yes it's centrally heated and no unfortunately I do not have an outside space. Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated

5. Acerholic

Hi again George, now as you probably know Olive trees are evergreen, but they will shed old leaves and produce new ones. Correct watering is necessary even in Winter when they can become too dry, as most trees do not need so much so people inadvertently neglect them.
    They do require a good deal of light to flourish (8 hrs), but you do seem to be catering for this with artificial lighting.
    So my thoughts are to ensure the soil is never very dry or in fact very wet. On that point, how is the drainage, being indoors? A lot of people keep them in a pot in a saucer, hence the roots never get the chance to dry out. Just think about the very dry Mediterranean locations they thrive in on poor but very well draining substrate.
    Do you have it in a pot in a pot?? This is preferable to enable good drainage. For example a large pot with something at the bottom and then sit the pot with the tree on top. This will ensure the roots don't sit in water and rot, leading to eventual death of the tree.
    Hope this has helped.

6. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

No heaters nearby?

7. Acerholic

Good afternoon Sulev and a very Happy New Year to you. I bet the owners of that tree will wonder why in a few weeks they have bare branches. Lol.

8. Acerholic

Very good point Sulev.

9. George Kennedy

Hi. Thankyou very much for your reply, I am a complete novice and I am amazed at the attachment I have to this little tree.
    Would you suggest I completely repot it first?
    Just to clarify. Should I should then place the pot on a layer of stones or similar inside the larger pot?
    Also is there a particular type of soil or food recommended?
    Thankyou again for your time and help.
    George

10. Acerholic

Yes I would do that in the bottom of the outer pot as this would allow for good drainage. Regarding repotting, at the moment this would cause it yet more stress. Let it settle until Spring then look at repotting into a John Innes no 3. This will give it food and be quite well draining. If you lift it out of the pot you will see if it is root bound or not.
    Re Sulev mentioning about a heater, if you have your tree near a window that has a radiator underneath then it will react to drying out the foliage. If you can move it then I would do so.

11. George Kennedy

Again thankyou, no its not near the radiator, I shall take your advice on board and hope for the best.
    Fingers crossed (but clearly not green ones)