Maple shopping list 2021

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Now the festivities are nearing the end for 2020 and our thoughts start to look towards another season of maples, I thought what about a thread for us maple enthusiasts to post what ones we hope to obtain next year.
    Now for me it is now a case of, if I want one then one has to be removed from my garden to make space. Fortunately I have a daughter and son in law who are really getting the bug, so are grateful recipients.
    Now to get things going, here are my two that I have at the top of my wish list.
    Acer pictum 'Usugumo' and Acer palmatum 'Japanese Princess'. I think I will be waiting a very long time in England to get these, but you never know. I think these are two wonderful maples, but what is your choice to buy for 2021??? I would love to hear your wishes......

dicky5ash likes this.
  2. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

First, happy new year! And my wish list for 2021 is a bigger garden ;-)

I would like to get more maples but I have bought a few new ones last year (Hogyoku, Shidava Gold, Summer Gold, Fairy light and Indian summer. As I like to put most in the ground and struggle already to find enough room to put them indefinitely, for now I am trying to restrain myself lol. However my wish list is very long and keeps changing. Most of the time I am an impulse buyer when visiting one of the maple growers and something catches my eye.

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Acerholic

And a happy new year to you also M. With the amazing Maple nurseries you have near you, you're really spoilt for choice. Very difficult to say no !!!
    Totally understand the no room problem, so if I can piggy back your wish for a bigger garden, that would suit me fine, Lol.

4. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Happy New Year!!

Very good idea you had, @Acerholic .

Since I almost have no space but they continue to sell precious things on ebay, I would like to get:

-Acer palmatum '' Shishigashira ''
    -Acer palmatum '' Bloodgood ''
    -Acer palmatum '' Fireglow ''
    -Acer japonicum '' Vitifolium ''
    -Acer palmatum '' Ariadne ''
    -Acer sempervirens
    -Acer rubrum

Now when February passes I will make the last purchase.

dicky5ash and Acerholic like this.
  5. Acerholic

@monicasanchez good afternoon and a Happy New Year Monica. I like your list, they all have longstanding good colours and durability. But I do understand your quandary, we are all running out of space Lol.

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Happy New Year everyone !

Apart from 'Beni Otome', 'Como' and 'Okushimo' mentioned in a previous message, I ordered an Acer laevigatum from naturoscope.net, for a change.

After that, I wish I can get rid of my addiction to maples, or at least control it ^_^

PS : just received 3 packets of seeds from a chap in Poland. Oh my...

dicky5ash and Acerholic like this.
  7. Acerholic

Oh Alain, The Maple forum wish for 2021 has to be bigger gardens for everyone.
    A very Happy New Year to you also.

dicky5ash and AlainK like this.
  8. AlainK

<LOL> I couldn't agree more!

9. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Happy New Year...
    @AlainK that was a feeble effort in terms of a New Year resolution to kick the new cultivar addiction lol

AlainK likes this.
  10. Nik

Nik Contributor

On that note, how big/small is your space in the yard/garden?
    I have almost an acre of a yard, and I find it more than enough. I actually cannot take care of all of it, so I leave some areas ‘wild’.

11. Nik

Nik Contributor

My maple shopping list has one item: a replacement for my Beni Tsukasa.

12. Acerholic

Good evening R and a Happy New Year to you. What is on your list for 2021 ?

13. Acerholic

Now you've made me very jealous N, Lol.

14. Acerholic

Glad to hear your replacing your Beni Tsukasa N, It is one of the prettiest IMO.

15. AlainK

One acre is 4 046.85642 m2. I have about 400 m2, so ten times less. Hence the potted trees.

16. dicky5ash

Hello D Happy New Year. Re 2021 additions..hmmm not made my mind up fully yet. I need to do some chess moves, taking into account some trees that would thrive better with more shade than they got last year...and my plan to move some to my front garden but shade is an issue as the front gets mid to late afternoon sun and this proved less than ideal for my Orange Dream as the summer went on. I have a large Ash tree in the front that would give some cover.. can anyone think of any reason why I should not put some large potted trees under the canopy of that?

Cheers
    Rich

Acerholic likes this.
  17. Acerholic

I have the same problem as so many of us do R. Too many likes but no room left.
    Regarding your front garden, the only observation by me would be of security for your lovely maples in very easily moved pots or even not so easily moved. .
    Sadly if it's not well rooted or bolted down these days, it is soon gone when you wake up the next morning. An almost impossible crime to detect by the Police.
    I have seen massive ornaments stolen that you would think a crane was needed to move them.
    So if you can 'plant' under the canopy of your Ash, that would be my option. Maples are under canopy trees.

18. dicky5ash

Thanks D. Sorry to hear that..very sad times..I am fortunate that my house is 100yards down a shared private drive with 2 other houses, slightly less obvious for opportunist thieves...but this is something that I have definitely considered as i have noticed a couple of randomers knock my door whilst I’ve been working from home during Covid than I expected..I am thinking of a couple of 300 litre pots.. I could anchor them at the bottom prior to filling with a long metal stake/rebar..through the bottom into tough clay below...just means taking the tree out if I ever need to move them.

19. Acerholic

@dicky5ash, that sounds a very good idea R. Staking down prior to filling them would indeed stop 'opportunist' thieves.
    Agree it will make things a little harder to move when they need new potting medium, but you will at least have the knowledge they will be safe.
    Could be quite a project for 2021 and it seems we may all be in full lockdown again very soon, so gardening comes to our mental health rescue once more.
    Look forward to seeing how you get along with it this year.

dicky5ash likes this.
  20. Mark Ravenscraft

Mark Ravenscraft New Member Maple Society

Tempted to add one of the following:
    Acer palmatum 'Whitney Red'
    Acer palmatum 'Pixie'
    Acer palmatum 'Yuri Hime'
    Acer shirasawanum "Shir Autumn Moon" - maybe this, if a slow growing heat stunted (last year) Full Moon Aureum doesn't pick up this spring

21. Acerholic

@Mark Ravenscraft good morning Mark, I like your list, two of which I have in Pixie and Autumn Moon, both are excellent trees and give wonderful colour from Spring to Autumn.
    Yuri Hime will be a lovely green addition, I have a very small Kamagata that is similar in stature and is ideal for Bonsai work as is Yuri Hime.
    Whitney Red is a very strong tree that a friend of mine has, it's one of his favourites that holds onto the deep red the longest into Autumn.
    Look forward to seeing what you decide to buy.

22. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

Happy new year everyone!

My buy on sight maple picks for 2021 are:

Ukigumo
    Japanese Princess or Mystic Mikawa
    Any LARGE Mikawa Yatsubusa, I found a 4.5ft mature Mikawa Yatsubusa at a nursery in OR for $225, my mom bought it! :D

23. Acerholic

@Connor Sullivan good morning Connor and a very Happy New Year to you.
    I see you have Japanese Princess on your wish list, it's on mine also, but sadly it hasn't made it's way over here yet, along with Mystic Mikawa.
    I think I would have one or the other tbh, as they have a very similar appearance from what I've seen.
    Sounds like a wonderful specimen your mum bought. Do post a photo in the Spring if you can.
    Ukigumo is a must for every collection IMO, brightens up any corner all year long.

monicasanchez likes this.
  24. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

to feed my addiction at the beginning of 2021 these are on the way.

Acer ps. 'Brilliantissimum'
    Acer (truncatum)? 'Flower God'
    Acer pal. 'Yellow Threads'
    Acer pal. 'Jere Schwartz'
    Acer pal. 'Hanezu hagoromo Orange'
    Acer camp. 'Carnival'
    Acer rub. 'Vanity'
    Acer pal. 'Radiant'
    Acer pal. 'Kasagi yama'
    Acer pal. 'Shine Bright'
    Acer shir. 'Blushing Beauty'

ones ive recieved so far

acer pal. mystic mikawa
    acer shir. sunny
    acer shir. purple umbrella

my justification is that it a birthday gift to myself!

25. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hiya D, isn't Flower God one of Keith Johansson's introductions?

I wasn't aware that 'Blushing Beauty' had actually been marketed.

But was contributing to warn you away :) from 'Carnival', very lovely but also very hard to keep lovely. I think it's offspring 'Silver Celebration' is superior, but not sure if it is avail over there. Anyway (since I probably won't persuade you) came across a nice pic of 'Carnival' from 2014.

campCarn-1.JPG

You will never regret 'Brilliantissimum', what's more you can keep it small by getting a low graft; makes a stunning bush.

Acerholic and LoverOfMaples like this.