Hypnum imponens

Discussion in 'Plants with Spores (Ferns, Mosses, et al.)' started by Nik, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

I decided to create a separate thread for a potential mosses forum.
    This one forms very thick and soft golden green carpets. I read in Wikipedia that the name of the genus comes from the fact that these mosses were used to stuff pillows and mattresses.
    It is a wonderful feeling to walk barefoot on it (when warm outside, of course).

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I think I remember reading that in medieval times sacking was stuffed with this together with Lavender for pillows. Wish I could remember where I read it, but tbh it sounds rather nice anyway.

3. Nik

Nik Contributor

Another view of the Hypnum carpet in the yard. I guess it is time to clean it up for the winter. Leaf blower works just fine for leaves and small branches, larger sticks have to be hand-picked.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

Looks so natural though N. Not manicured, I like it that way tbh..

5. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi D, I see your point, but when it is cleaned up it really gives the yard that Japanese garden look that I like so much. Over there they do the cleaning by hand with small little brushes... I just don’t have the time for that. (I bought something very similar to what they use in the temple gardens, but I have used it only once.)

6. Acerholic

Totally understand N. Takes a lot of work to get it looking the Japanese way. I watched a YouTube video and they had an army of ladies picking up every single leaf. Amazing dedication.

7. Nik

Nik Contributor

Expanding the carpet... I love this vigorous moss. It looks very nice year round, wet or dry.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.