Viable Acer griseum (Paperbark Maple) seeds?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Maiden, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Maiden

Maiden Member

Hi there and thank you. My (huge pile) of seeds are already in a pot or two of soil and sitting outside to freeze, I mean stratify :) for the winter. Would it benefit them if I put some through that procedure in the Spring after they warm? I know its common for them take 2 seasons of stratification to get going sometimes. Thanks again.

My 2 cents worth on the handling of what appeared to me to be a marketing post, good call.

Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  2. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Good morning, I think that if, when the stratification period is over, they can be scarified with a little sandpaper and moistened with 10 to 12 drops of 1.6% GA3 per liter of water, that should break the latency and accelerate germination.
    There are several articles on the web where it is commented how several palm tree seeds are reproduced with more than 2000 years, and precisely the latency is broken with GA3 gibberelic acid, that we do not forget that it is a PGR and as such we must take due precautions with Its use. I put a link
    Origins and insights into the historic Judean date palm based on genetic analysis of germinated ancient seeds and morphometric studies

Acerholic, Maiden and AlainK like this.
  3. Maiden

Maiden Member

Thank you!

4. chaenomeles

chaenomeles New Member

Hi Tim,
    I would love to try and grow my own paperbark maple so please put my name into the raffle. Thanks!

5. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

The Acer Griseum seedlings are doing very well, hope they will grow into nice healthy little trees!

Attached Files:

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Very good !

But it's a bit surprising seeing Acers sprouting in December.

If they're grown indoors, I would be afraid that some would die, it's a very "un-natural" cycle of life.

If they...
    ... I think it will be more interesting for you to sell 1, or 2, 3 year-old seedlings than "seeds" like you posted before.

But that's a very interesting contibution, whatchamacallit.

Whachamacollit likes this.
  7. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

All seeds are sold in the meantime, growing indoors in the winter is not a problem at all, think at all the cannabis growers who do this for years without any problem and where do you think that the “fresh” vegetables you eat in this time of year come from? And yes it’s a little “unnatural” just like grafting japanese maples...

8. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

They look good @Whachamacollit, using grow lights is obviously a great success for you.
    Can I ask about any feed back from new owners of your seedlings when they have been out in peoples gardens ? Survival rate etc ??
    The reason I ask is that I have purchased plants at very well known horticultural shows that have been either forced or held back to look good at showtime, only to have them struggle when getting them home.

9. AlainK

I don't. Maybe I should, but like all the herbs I grow, I prefer the real taste of naturally grown tomatoes, or whatever. So far, nothing to compare ;°)

I try to buy local products.

Of course when I went to see my 90-year-old mother and she said "I saw some lychees" but they were verrry expensive, what do you think I brought her two days after ?

Lots of fresh vegetables available at the moment, mostly roots like carrots, potatoes, but also leech, onion, etc.

“fresh” vegetables : cabbage, full of C-vitamin, artichokes, etc. You must have always been a city-dweller, growing maple seeds without ever been in a "countryside" environment ^_^ Maybe I'm wrong ;*)

10. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

Haha no i’m not a city dweller... i live on a small farm and have an interest in doing things in my way. When people say that something is impossible it triggers me to find a way.. off course i have a vegetable garden too, but besides kale and leech nothing grows here at this time.
    We’ll see what happens with the seedlings...

11. AlainK

I think that considering the climate change, tomatoes grown "naturally", in the ground, under the sun and in the rain are much tastier than those grown in greenhouses under artifial lights, but that's not the point. We dont eat maples. They can be tasteless as long as they look healthy.

"I live on a small farm"

Then why don't you grow (and sell if you like) maples instead of trying to sell seeds?...

12. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

I sure will! But i had so many seeds that it seemed a good idea to sell a big portion as some say that acer griseum seeds are recalcitrant and another portion i will plant on my property and give away or sell.

13. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

I will keep you updated. My plans are to place the seedlings in my greenhouse the moment they grow too big for the propagator. After that in april i will pot them up in bigger containers and they will go outside. Maybe the plants you bought have been in artificial circumstances all their life?

14. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

That is a possibility. Look forward to your update in April.

15. AlainK

I ordered some GA3 from the US, it should be there tomorrow Monday 11th.

You wouldn't mind if if quoted your advice as an add-on in a document about "Seeds Stratification" posted here, would you ? ^_^

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  16. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Ok, of course you can quote everything I post.
    The GA3 you buy has to be 1.6%. I use GIBEMUR 1.6.
    If a different concentration is used, a concentration greater than 300 PPM should not be used.
    The effects of GA3 are
    -Induction of the elongation of internodes in stems by stimulating cell division and elongation
    -Substitution of the cold or long day needs required by many species for flowering
    -Induction of parthenocarpy in some fruit species
    -Elimination of dormancy presented by the buds and seeds of numerous species
    -Stimulate the production of α-amylase during the germination of cereal grains
    -Delay in fruit ripening
    -Induce masculinity in flowers of monoecious plants
    -They can delay senescence in leaves and citrus fruits.

AlainK likes this.
  17. Maiden

Maiden Member

"I ordered some GA3 from the US, it should be there tomorrow Monday 11th."

I can't find it anywhere AlainK, do you have a name or link I can use? Thanks a bunch.

18. AlainK

It's here :
    Seeds stratification

Maiden likes this.
  19. AlainK

I also ordered some GA3 from the US on December 15th.

I've just checked the "USPS Package Tracking" tonight :

December 15, 2020 14:24 ROCKLIN,CA,95677,US SHIPPING LABEL CREATED
    (...)
    January 09, 2021 09:54 Paris,FR SHIPMENT ARRIVED AT CARRIER FACILITY

It should be in my mailbox tomorrow - I hope ! ;-)

20. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

And than let the magic begin! I hope to see the pictures of proud little acer griseum’s this spring! Hope it works out just great!

21. AlainK

So do I : if that can help the people here in any way, I'd be very happy.

@Whachamacollit, do you use GA3 or any other, I'd like to know ^_^

22. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I may try and get a friendly pharmacist to mix some up... Only seems to be available as a powder(acide gibbérellique) at very high concentrations here.

Surely we could order from Spain otherwise! Buy local and all that. Well, localler, heh.

23. Whachamacollit

Whachamacollit Member

I use GA3 too and i will tell you exactly how, because it will never be a succes when you do follow the guidelines provided by others...
    No stratification at all...
    First split the samara’s gently. I do this with a drill press. I mount a 10 mm bolt and nut on the plate where you normally can place the item you want to drill and i place a 10 mm drill with the pointed side into the drill holder. This way you have two steel rods and between these two rods you can place the samara with the line where the two halves are joined vertical. Than just lower the upper rod and gently break the samara’s apart.
    After you have split the samara’s make a solution of 1000 ppm ga3. This is easy, just add 1 gram ga3 90% in 1 litre of filtered or sterile water. As this is not dissolving easy you have to wait 24 hours and shake the solution now and than. You can also first do the ga3 in a empty one litre bottle and add a few drops of alcohol in it. This will dissolve the ga3 fast and than add the water.
    Than put your peeled seeds in a ziplock bag and add enough of your solution to it so all the seeds are completely under the solution.
    Place the ziplock bag on a warm location (near a router or on a fridge must be around 20 degrees celcius or 70 degrees fahrenheit) and take care that the seeds stay submerged.
    Wait 24 hours and remove the seeds from the bag and make them dry with a paper towel. If everything went allright the seeds are swollen now, but the brown skin is still around it and mostly intact.
    Than use a mix of perlite with peat or something similar and put it in small containers or plugs. Place the seeds in the mix at 1 cm depth and cover with mix and make moist with filtered water.
    Than just place the containers in a warm|dark place like you did with the ziplock bag or even better in a propagator with a heated bottom at 21 celcius or 70 fahrenheit.
    Just wait a week or two and your precious seedlings will show up! Wait until the little plants have at least one set of true leaves before transplanting to a bigger container.
    Be prepared for clumsy seedlings which will grow the wrong way with there taproots in the sky or some root points stay stuck in the brown skins (wonder why they extinct...) and take those out of the soil and replant them the right way up.
    If you like you can give the seedlings the ga3 solution to drink after a week or three or just spray them with it this will boost growth noticably.
    I do use a full spectrum grow light with good results and i have a oscillating fan blowing over the seedlings for mouldprevention and stronger stems due to the movement in the wind...
    During the proces, always wear rubber gloves and a mask when working with ga3 and make sure you don’t spill it on your food or drinks as it is nasty stuff for humans in certain amounts...
    That’s all folks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  24. Maiden

Maiden Member

Yes I copied and pasted your statement AlainK lol so as to quote you but WHERE did you order it from? I can't find it online and your link doesn't have a place to buy it? I don't think. :) Thanks again!

25. AlainK