Acer palmatum 'Wakehurst Pink'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by amazingmaples, May 2, 2011.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

8th September 2020 and the heat is returning, but very cloudy. My maples will enjoy this as long as there is no more new growth.
    These pinks are so delicate that they just blend into my garden so peacefully.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

10th September 2020 and my maples are now racing into Autumnal colours. So warm and sunny at the moment, it does seem a bit strange though.
    Last night I was asked if my Wakehurst pink keeps it's colours well into Autumn. So I will endeavour to keep this photo diary going.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Wakehurst pink. Yes just one day later and with early morning sun it glows.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

15th September 2020 and half way through the month already, but it is hot again, 30°C yesterday and expected hotter today.
    But as is so often at this time of the year, the morning dew is here again, making trees look pretty.
    Wakehurst pink with the moisture that this time of the year brings, is IMO the best time.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

22nd September 2020 and tbe Autum Equinox is here and so are the changes. The dark pinks are taking over !!!

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

25th September 2020 and some colours are more subtle than others. But that is the beauty of maples they are all so different and often the same tree is different year on year. This is why they are loved the world over.
    Only a few days have passed but there are just so many shades of colours on my Wakehurst pink, I had to share it.

Attached Files:

Margot likes this.
  7. Acerholic

5th October 2020 and very ominous dark skies that made my flash go off when taking photos this morning. The pinks are all over this one now, with still a hint of yellow that helps it stand out.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

15th October 2020 and if you want deep pinks for a long period in Autumn then this cultivar is for you. It 'never' let's me down..

Attached Files:

9. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ditto 15th October my Wakehurst pink really showing well at present in the drabness here in the UK, hopefully i will see some more white variegation in the leaf in a few more days? differs from year to year i find with this cultivar.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Acerholic

24th October 2020 and I thought I would add this today to show how much later the pinks come 200 miles South of ROEBUK location.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

26th October 2020 and my Wakehurst pink is more delicate now, so I know it's only been a few days since my last posting, but I wanted to show how this cultivar moves further along in Autumn.

Attached Files:

12. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Another one added to the collection. I love the leaf shape and fall color of this one.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  13. Acerholic

You will not be disappointed at all with this one D, I was only talking to Luke about it and it's beautiful colours when I visited him last week.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  14. Acerholic

20th April 2021 and here we go. A tough tree that holds off in the leafing out process, ( very important this year).
    Also a good one to have if you are in slightly harsher climates than my 8b.
    Wakehurst pink 197.JPG

15. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Update. It's doing well so far.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  16. Acerholic

I had a family member ask me, 'Why is it called Wakehurst PINK' ?
    I could see why they asked, but after seeing it from September onwards the answer was there to see for them.
    I bet that one is not too old D ? It is a fast grower.

17. Acerholic

2nd May 2021 and as talked about quite a lot atm, this cultivar should be front and center in any collection.
    Wakehurst pink 211.JPG

18. Acerholic

3rd May 2021 and I had a request last night to show how my Wakehurst pink is getting on in all the frosts. Wel, this morning I think it's done OK.
    Wakehurst pink 212.JPG

19. Acerholic

3rd June 2021 and now my Wakehurst pink is in full wonderful leaf. I just love the subtle greens of this cultivar.
    Wakehurst pink 250.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  20. Acerholic

8th April 2022 and so much new soft growth on this one already, a bit of a worry with these cold nights coming again. But it's looking very nice this morning.
    Wakehurst pink April rain 2022.JPG

AlainK and Xi-feng like this.
  21. Acerholic

17th April 2022 and a follow up on my Wakehurst Pink. This one draws a lot of interest on the PMs.
    Wakehurst pink April 15th 2022.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  22. Acerholic

22nd April 2022 and now you can see the wonderful leaves of this cultivar. I am surprised what it is not more popular.
    Wakehurst pink 22nd April 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  23. Acerholic

25th May 2022 and this is what Wakehurst Pink leaves look like going into Summer. Such a wonderful shade of green.
    Wakehurst Pink 25th May 2022.JPG

24. Acerholic

7th November 2022 and the leaves are few and far between this Autumn, but some are quite pretty on my Wakehurst Pink.
    Wakehurst Pink 7th November 2022.JPG

AlainK likes this.
  25. Acerholic

26th April 2023 and I do love when this one comes into leaf every Spring. If I had the room I would have more of these....
    PXL_20230426_161753930.jpg

AlainK likes this.