Appreciation: Fall Colours 2020

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Houzi, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is my Leucothoe Scarletta, putting out some deep crimson. A low grower that always looks good in Autumn.

Attached Files:

Nik likes this.
  2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

It poured rain yesterday so we walked the dog in the neighborhood and we came across several of these trees lining the street (Knight & 41st area). The color is so vibrant and the peeling bark makes it so interesting.
    Can anybody put a name to this tree?

Attached Files:

Nik, Margot and Acerholic like this.
  3. Acerholic

Acer griseum P. One of the most vibrant of reds in the Acer family. Lost mine this year so very pleased to see your photos.

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Acer griseum - lovely!

5. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the trunk was paperbark maple, but the leaves didn't look like a maple to me.
    Thanks for the confirmation! :)

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

If you take the three leaflets and hold them together at the base, the ensemble will look more like a maple leaf.

7. Acerholic

A very hard frost this morning in my garden brought out the colours on my Azalea 'Geisha' leaves. I really enjoy the look of how Jack Frost sprinkles a little white dusting over the plants at this time of the year..
    Azalea Geisha 213.JPG

Nik, Margot and pmurphy like this.
  8. Acerholic

Took this photo of a large Qurcus rubra a few minutes ago from underneath, whilst treading on all the beautiful fallen now bronze / brown leaves.
    Quercus rubra 221.JPG Quercus rubra leaves 222.JPG
    Its not all about colour 'on the tree' that gives pleasure.

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm only two weeks behind on postings. I'd give up on this, but I've been noticing yellow against concrete this year, and I was very taken with this brilliant planting of what I think are Populus tremula 'Erecta'. These leaves are long-gone now.
    Populus-tremulaErecta_NicolaRosemaryBrownLa_Cutler_20201102_142038.jpg Populus-tremulaErecta_NicolaRosemaryBrownLa_Cutler_20201102_141946.jpg Populus-tremulaErecta_NicolaRosemaryBrownLa_Cutler_20201102_142003.jpg

I didn't post these Carpinus betula 'Fastigiata'? This photogenic group at English Bay were captured nine days ago, just coming into their best colour.
    Carpinus-betulusFastigiata_BeachBute_Cutler_20201107_144506.jpg Carpinus-betulusFastigiata_BeachThurlow_Cutler_20201107_144953.jpg

I photographed the Stewartia pseudocamellia a week ago. It still looks about the same, though others of these have lost their leaves now.
    Stewartia-pseudocamellia_ComoxBroughton_Cutler_20201109_130310.jpg Stewartia-pseudocamellia_ComoxBroughton_Cutler_20201109_130334.jpg Stewartia-pseudocamellia_ComoxBroughton_Cutler_20201109_130356.jpg Stewartia-pseudocamellia_ComoxBroughton_Cutler_20201109_130407.jpg

Here are two Betula pendula; they look like they would be the same to me, but one had not turned colour at all last week, and even today, these look pretty much the same, with the one on the right having fewer than half of the leaves turned yellow, still looking greenish.
    Betula-pendula_TedNortheLaJervis_Cutler_20201109_125156.jpg Betula-pendula_TedNortheLaJervis_Cutler_20201109_125223.jpg

Here are Fagus sylvatica and Betula pendula, at the Parks Board Building at English Bay. This was taken six days ago.
    FagusSylvatica-BetulaPendula_ParkBoardBuilding_Cutler_20201110_155818.jpg

10. Acerholic

Sadly I don't know the name of my evergreen Azalea, but I've had it for 30 years and the pink flowers in Spring give so much pleasure and then every Autumn this happens. The old leaves turn red in preparation to drop. The setting sun this evening just made it glow after a very wet day here in England.
    Azalea 232.JPG

Margot, pmurphy and Nik like this.
  11. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

What a bonus are those senescent leaves!

12. Acerholic

I believe so Margot, all the energy is gradually going to the new leaves for next Spring. As you say what a bonus !!!