Growing Strawberries?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Fleeance, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Fleeance

Fleeance New Member

I am brand new to gardening. I specifically want to start gardening career with simply growing strawberries indoors. I work weekends, typically 12 hour shifts, and am wondering if my strawberry plants can go without watering for 12 hours? Also, will T5 lighting accommodate the plant to thrive? Anything else I need to know? Thank you.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sounds expensive and challenging, between dealing with diseases and chilling requirements: Spotlight on Farming Strawberries Indoors

Some more details here: https://conservancy.umn.edu/bitstre.../Jared Rubinstein - Strawberry.pdf;sequence=1

3. Carina

Carina New Member

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It's an attractive page, Carina. I hope that doing this project has made you interested enough to add the pages for the links to the three categories. I don't suppose there is any reason to think that what is sold in the markets in Vancouver will be the same as what is sold in Edmonton, but I'm interested to be able to tell what varieties I'm likely to find in my market, both grown locally and imported, and what I can expect them to be like in taste and texture. And you can tie that in to what would be recommend varieties to grow, or which ones people will find to grow. You could be a little more clear that you are suggesting that people buy the plants already started, as you don't mention anything about planting seeds.

Welcome to these forums. Saying that made me think to suggest you could have a help area and put a link to some ways people can get help (including the page where you posted this: Fruit and Vegetable Gardening). Was posting here suggested in your class? That was pretty cool, whoever thought of it.

As an aside, I mentioned that you're not suggesting starting from seeds. I was going to ask people reading this if strawberries grow true from seeds - I just saw a short video clip on Facebook recommending starting them by collecting the seeds from the surface of a berry. It seems a little confusing. Wild strawberries and heirloom varieties will grow true, but hybrids will not necessarily, though some F1 hybrids will. Well, that wasn't clear. I was looking at the page at Strawberry Seeds - All You Need To Know (Updated 2020).

Sulev likes this.
  5. Carina

Carina New Member

Hello wcutler,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review of my site. I highly appreciate your time. This are such great ideas. I didn’t think about planting strawberries from seeds, but I will definitely do some research and add the topics to my site. Thank you for the links. I will implement what you’ve suggested.

Yes, we have a great instructor who wants us to succeed. Creating this website is very interesting. I will start a strawberry bed next spring and will post my experience.

Sulev and wcutler like this.
  6. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I think that you should do some research and write something about fighting pests, critters and diseases too. Unfortunately they are often important factors for strawberry growers.

Carina likes this.
  7. Carina

Carina New Member

Hello Sulev, that’s a great idea. I believe that there’s a lot to find out about it. I will focus on fighting diseases and “unwanted guests” without using chemicals. Thanks a lot for your comment.