Maples Winter bare bones

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Oct 25, 2020.

1. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

'Sango Kaku'
    20201115_150056.jpg

'Aoyagi'
    20201115_112033.jpg

monicasanchez, Nik, AlainK and 2 others like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@LoverOfMaples good morning D, quick question, how do you get on with the canvase pots? I've been thinking about getting some.

3. LoverOfMaples

Gm D, I just dug this one up to test out this pot. I normally would use root maker pot and they work great, just a bit pricey. I'll let you know how it works out.

4. Acerholic

Thanks D, will be interested as I'm looking to find ways of moving my potted trees around easier these days!!! I like the handles the canvas ones have.

5. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

My Ryusen and a (new?) Japonicum Indian summer I picked up today. Not much is found on the internet on this one but I like the form and is supposed to have leaves the size of dinner plates and great fall colour, so I am looking forward to spring already!

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

@MapleMO good afternoon M, lovely shape to your Ryusen and Indian Summer I have heared of, but not a lot. So am looking forward to Autumn 2021 seeing a great display from you. Looks a very healthy tree!! Esveld ???

7. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Good afternoon D, no Dick van der Maat this time! Its almost like spring here today so I am going to do some work in the garden for the rest of the afternoon, have a great day!

emery likes this.
  8. Acerholic

Ahh Dick van der Maat, he used to sell via Lotta plants, but sadly no longer does. Always great quality!!!
    Enjoy your afternoon in the garden M.

9. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

If I ever wished I were a better photographer or had a better camera, it is today when I have been unable to capture the fleeting beauty of this maple - every branch and twig covered with shining drops of water. You might see what I'm talking about if you squint your eyes.

upload_2020-11-18_13-35-49.png

10. Acerholic

@Margot No need to squint Margot, the raindrops looked lovely.

Margot likes this.
  11. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Starting to be quite a few "bones" around here. And working on digging up some dead and damaged maples from the horrible weather. Funny how, some maples just don't thrive: and sometimes when you dig them up, you can see why... I dug out an A. negundo 'Auratum' that, after 9 years [!] in the ground had only enough root to fill a 12l pot. My notes say I rec'd it and planted immediately, and apparently followed the soil depth of the pot it had been in. There were a few little roots near the surface, then perhaps 6 inches down you could see the original root flare. Moral, no matter how experienced, it's always possible to make stupid mistakes if in a hurry,

Here is Acer 'Eddisbury' looking rather fine in the sun.

IMG_20201121_141124_v1.jpg IMG_20201121_141146_v1.jpg

Dick's maples are very good quality. He did the grafting for Hippo for a while, not sure if that's still the case.

12. Acerholic

9 years and then the end of a lovely tree, that is very sad to hear E. But I bet you will replace it, like for like!!? Regarding Eddisbury, can you tell the difference between that and Sangu Kaku? I honestly can't when they are far apart as in my friends collection. My Sangu still has leaves, so will take a photo in the sun in the next few days. But anyway, yours looks absolutely wonderful in the Normandy sun. That's why we plant the Coral bark maples!!

13. emery

Ah, I've moved it to a pot to be coddled. We'll see if it recovers, but for now it's a few years in the spa, plenty of shade, water, fertilizer, mycorrhizae and tlc.

'Eddisbury' actually is a bit different from 'Sango kaku'. The bark is green in summer, whereas (the true) SK stays red. The leaves are a little more indented, leaf out darker, and are a less pure color in the fall. It is more prone to pseudomonas than SK, but also hardier in winter. In the spring leafing out the difference is easy to spot. Both nice maples, but 'Sango kaku' is really superior in many ways.

14. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Just a few pics of various cultivars which are looking very nice now all the leaves have dropped , all the ones in containers have all at one point been in the ground then lifted over a period of years because they are just getting to big!!! but are showing interesting forms/shapes, then a few in the ground noted for their branch colours , some lovely branch shapes evolving over the years still lots of work to do over the next few weeks a few more to come up and a few to go in as well :)

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

Good afternoon M, well they are all looking wonderfully healthy, so lots to look forward to next Spring. Aren't we lucky to have 4 season trees, still so much colour and amazing shapes when so much around us is looking quite drab. This is why we love Maples !! Great photos.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  16. emery

The pruning season has begun! I cleaned up this 'Orangeola' a bit, nothing major, but thought its bones worth sharing. I've been training a lot of dissectums to 2 major leaders, wondering how good an idea that is though.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

Good morning, after several days of rain the sun finally came out. This is when my Sangu Kaku and Bi-hoo come into their own.
    Sangu kaku 250.JPG Sangu kaku and Bihoo 250.JPG

Margot, MapleMO, Nik and 1 other person like this.
  18. Nik

Nik Contributor

My Rhode Island Red and Sensu are quite buried in snow in these pictures from inside the house. About 12 inches so far, but it is still snowing heavily and it will for few more hours.

Attached Files:

MapleMO, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  19. Acerholic

Amazing N, that means they are well and truly asleep. Looking at your photos Bing Crosby's great Christmas song comes straight to my head.

Nik likes this.
  20. Margot

Hello @Acerholic - I'm wondering what the large-leaf plant is in front of your maples . . . it looks like something that would have been killed by frost already.

21. Acerholic

Hi Margot, it's my Zantedeschia arum lily. Just not cold enough here yet to knock it down. I'm finding the leaves are lasting until January now. Several years back it would have been hit hard by the frosts in November. Times they are a changing as the great song goes.

22. LoverOfMaples

A few snowy bare bones today.

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic, MapleMO and 2 others like this.
  23. Margot

24. Acerholic

@Margot, There are two reasons I like to see the snow at this time of the year, firstly I love a white Christmas and this year especially to see children and families letting off steam playing in the white stuff together is wonderful. Secondly it gives hope that the seasons are not as messed up as some would like us to think thses days and our trees are fully asleep giving them the rest they need for next year.
    Great pics D @LoverOfMaples.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  25. emery

Hey D, you got whacked. Hope nothing broke, my colleagues in Boston tell me it was very heavy and wet.

JMs love some snow in winter, some other maples, not so much. This is a nice early snow, usually late snow is the damaging event, once the sap starts running; esp in maples from warmer climates e.g. A. pectinatum complex, which many grow, or some of the other snakebarks.

Weather is-not-equal-to climate, and of course the science is overwhelming that seasons are changing in character, for us in western France that means warmer and wetter winters and hotter and drier summers. I expect we will still see some snow though! I hope so, if it's not too late in spring.

Anyway, 'Tis the season to be pruning, fa la la la etc. Some major crown raising, cleanups and ladder climbing is ongoing. Here are a few:

IMG_20201212_144547_v1.jpg
    A. saccharinum, crown raising
    IMG_20201212_144605_v1.jpg
    A. beurgerianum 'Hime kaede', cleanup
    IMG_20201212_144720_v1.jpg
    Group of 3 A. tataricum ssp ginalla, raising and cleanup
    IMG_20201212_144823_v1.jpg
    A. tataricum ginalla 'Flame', major cleanup. I don't recommend anyone buy this one.
    IMG_20201212_145728_v1.jpg
    L. tulipifera, major raising
    IMG_20201212_173003_v1.jpg
    Wild cherry (Merisier) cleanup and raising
    IMG_20201213_152405_v1.jpg
    Detritus for the burn pile!
    IMG_20201213_164638_v1.jpg
    Just a nice transition on A. rufinerve 'Albolimbatum', not pruning this on this year.
    IMG_20201218_125316_v1.jpg
    Interior cleanup of A. pseudoplatanus 'Corstorphinense', in background A. longipies var weixiense half done with its own crown raising.
    IMG_20201218_125340_v1.jpg
    A. triflorum, interior cleanup
    IMG_20201218_125423_v1.jpg
    Acer 'Shin chisio' with some major work
    IMG_20201218_125512_v1.jpg
    Major crown raising of what is most likely Acer pseudoheldreichii

-E

monicasanchez, ROEBUK, Nik and 2 others like this.