Aspidistra elatior

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Nik, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

Does anyone have any tips on how to take good care of this ‘Victorian’ house plant? I’ve had it for more than an year and a half, and it has not grown one bit. It flowered this spring, but that was it.. I would appreciate any suggestions.
    Now I have placed it in our screened porch, I want to see if it is going to make a difference.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Nik
    @Nik, Oh the Cast Iron plant. Lol. This is so slow growing it's ridiculous. Had one back in the 70's, did very well in a moist atmosphere from what I remember, kept it in the bathroom and it loved it there. Kept watering to a minimum, just enough to keep the soil slightly moist. Gave ours to a friend when we moved house, not sure how it got on as we lost contact from moving.

I don't think your porch will be the ideal place tbh Ni , too dry an atmosphere !!! Bath or shower rooms are ideal.

Nik likes this.
  3. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi D, you are correct!!! It certainly likes the humidity outside. There are finally some new leaves emerging, 6 that I can see. It is 85% humidity right now outside. And AC and dehumidifier running in the house.. I will follow your advice and place it in a bathroom in late fall, one of ours has a skylight which should be plenty of light for this plant. I really do enjoy ‘old fashioned’ plants.
    I used to have Calanthe vestita long time ago and I would love to find it again. Seems that there are no good sources for it. This one was a favorite ’Victorian’ orchid.

4. Nik

Nik Contributor

Here is a photo, I forgot to post it ..

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

@Nik, it's looking good now N. It's funny you say about old fashioned plants. Theses days more plants go in and out of fashion than I've ever seen before. I do wonder if it's the TV gardening programs and how they promote new varieties or the garden centre entrances pushing something new onto us all.
    Do update the thread on your Aspidistra elatior. It will be interesting to see its progress.

6. Nik

Nik Contributor

Just an update.. seems to be enjoying the hot and humid summer outside.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

@Nik, brilliant update N. I do love a success story!!!

8. Nik

Nik Contributor

It is back inside now, next to our dining room table. I would love to grow it into a good specimen, eventually. Victorian era plants are just timeless.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Looks so lonely N, almost like it's waiting to be joined for lunch, but nobody came !!!
    Agree totally about Victorian era plants, there's just something about them.

10. Nik

Nik Contributor

Just like us D, this year we will be all alone for the holidays. We are used to having a Christmas party for 30-40 people, but not now under the current circumstances...quite depressing.
    Thanksgiving likewise will be a lonely dinner.
    These are the times...

11. Acerholic

Same here N, a Zoom Christmas, but as long as everyone is safe and well thats all that matters. Our son is suffering with Covid and not too well this evening, so Christmas can take a back seat as long as nobody is poorly.
    We are going to have a family get together party when the vaccine is here, as I expect you will do. Fingers crossed not too long now !!???

12. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi D, so sorry to hear that your son has COVID-19 , I hope he feels better very soon.
    This winter will be tough. Vaccine for the general population is about 5 months away.

13. Acerholic

Thankyou N, and yes roll on Spring.

14. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think it is only slow growing as a houseplant. We grow a lot of them, I have several different cultivars planted in the yard, stripey ones, spotted ones, ones with stripes and spots....Plant Delights in NC has a ton of cultivars and I bought a lot of them in the past 20 years. They are not slow growing into yard, and are VERY hardy here. 20F does not phase them, not that we have seen that in the past 5-6 years. Cast iron means cast iron