Autumn colors 2020 - Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Oct 8, 2020.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I love Koelreuteria! Have planted K. bipinnata here, but in a hedge, and has really suffered in the drought over the last 2 years. I hope it's alive...

dicky5ash likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I've shared my photos this morning with the other thread, so took these from a different perspective. Not many left now, so the Winter bare bones thread might just get more from me from now on.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, ROEBUK, Nik and 2 others like this.
  3. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

ohhh dear, you would have thought it was quite robust

4. Acerholic

Some reds and yellows are still doing well in my garden this morning, but it cannot be long now before everything drops, apart from my Autumn gold that is that goes on and on.

Attached Files:

5. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Went to Esveld today. Most trees were bare but got a few nice pictures. I was surprised by the fall colour of Shir. Kinkakura. Should be really similar to aureum but the leaves were bigger and great fall colour. Anybody growing this one? (Last 2 pictures are of different tree).

Attached Files:

ROEBUK, Nik, Margot and 4 others like this.
  6. Acerholic

@MapleMO and did Shirasawanum Kinkakura come home with you M?
    Stunning colours and photos. Love the blue sky through the red leaves.

7. MapleMO

No this one was in the ground, I only came home with a Gingko!

8. Acerholic

@MapleMO only a Ginko, that is a lovely tree, we love the bright vivid yellows of ours every year and the shape of the leaves is very special.

Attached Files:

9. MapleMO

Lol, yes you are right! I also love Gingko’s which complement our maples well. I already have a place for it in the front yard with my Seiryu but have to move something first. Have to find a good spot then for my taxodium peve minaret which is too similar in leaf and color to the close-by yew hedge. Another puzzle for another day!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  10. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

A must !

I have three, one which is the mother plant in a bonsai pot and an airlayer (the top of the same one, after several years), the usual species :

ginkgo01_201022a.jpg ja_prunus-av_171007a.jpg

The other one is 'Saratoga', with thinner leaves and a columnar port :

2-ginkgo_190426a.jpg ginkgo-saratoga01_201021b.jpg

Er... Oh, yes, it's the maple forum ;°)

ROEBUK, wind-borne, Nik and 4 others like this.
  11. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

K. pinnata is robust, but the Koelreuterias don't seem to do well here. I think perhaps the soil is just too acidic. A had a 'Coral Pink' that struggled on for several years, but eventually died. I was disappointed since it's one of those plants that looks great on paper, but have since heard it's pretty weak. Anyway I hoped the bipinnata would be happier with the soil, and it might be, but it seems to want a harder winter and leafs out very early, then freezes, then weakens, etc. The whole vicious cycle.

I've been meaning to plant a Ginko for years and years, they're so fabulous. There are some good dwarfs around, but this one looks interesting, esp if available in France. The national Ginko collection was held by Pepinière Adeline, but since they closed there doesn't seem much variety around. Do you know if 'Saratoga' is male Alain? Adèle dislikes the, uh, scent of the fruit.

Here's a few more pics from the current state of things, going fast.

Beginning with signs of the times:
    IMG_20201103_171003_v1.jpg IMG_20201104_170651_v1.jpg

More of A. schneiderianum. It is quite a rare maple and difficult to grow, I believe this specimen is one of the largest in Europe. It remains disputed -- some thought it was originally a form of A. campbellii, or later A. sinense -- but the botanists I've discussed it with now accept it as distinct. None the less Schneider's Maple doesn't make the list of accepted species from the Maple Society. It likes sun and did fine in the drought over the last few summers, and also has the advantage of leafing out very late, which makes it pretty immune from Spring frosts.
    IMG_20201106_150502_v1.jpg IMG_20201106_150537_v1.jpg IMG_20201106_150559_v1.jpg IMG_20201106_150619_v1.jpg IMG_20201107_132455_v1.jpg

Schneider's Maple grows next to A. amplum ssp catalpifolium, which will stay green until a hard freeze. It often has enormous (15x25 cm) leaves, but this year they're small:
    IMG_20201107_132556_v1.jpg IMG_20201107_132620_v1.jpg

Acer 'Shin Chishio' is just showing a bit of color:
    IMG_20201107_132706_v1.jpg IMG_20201107_132722_v1.jpg

Acer stachyophyllum:
    IMG_20201107_132827_v1.jpg

Acer rubescens 'Yakushima nishiki' has really fantastic glowing stripy green bark, and good green and white variegation, but I always have a hard time with the camera:
    IMG_20201107_132855_v1.jpg IMG_20201107_132942_v1.jpg

A. x conspicuum 'Silver Cardinal'
    IMG_20201107_133159_v1.jpg IMG_20201107_133222_v1.jpg IMG_20201107_133244_v1.jpg

A. rubescens 'Red Flamingo'
    IMG_20201107_133432_v1.jpg IMG_20201107_133444_v1.jpg

Finally this A. palmatum selected for it's very long lasting red fall color, but it didn't like the burning sun this year. Still pretty in a different way than usual.
    IMG_20201107_132405_v1.jpg

ROEBUK, wind-borne, Nik and 7 others like this.
  12. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here's an anti-colour posting, thought not against colour; I saw this tree and wondered what was going on here - a totally beige tree, very much in contrast with the rest of what is going on now. It turns out to be Acer negundo, box-elder or Manitoba maple, a Canadian native, almost entirely denuded of leaves, but what a lot of samaras.
    Acer-negundo_BroughtonBeach_Cutler_20201108_153326.jpg Acer-negundo_BroughtonBeach_Cutler_20201108_153150.jpg Acer-negundo_BroughtonBeach_Cutler_20201107_150121.jpg
    There are two more of these a block away.
    Acer-negundo_BroughtonHarwood_Cutler_20201108_152554.jpg Acer-negundo_BroughtonHarwood_Cutler_20201108_152639.jpg

ROEBUK, Nik, zfrittz and 4 others like this.
  13. AlainK

I'm pretty sure it's grafted, very neatly done, almost invisible, but grafted I believe, so a male specimen like most if not all Ginkgos sold now.

A few cultivars can be found in French nurseries, Esveld also has a list of interesting specimens.

14. Acerholic

Good morning, a very dismal day here yesterday, so little to be seen in the early mist and then fog. This morning, although very damp I woke to see some colour.

Attached Files:

ROEBUK, wind-borne, zfrittz and 4 others like this.
  15. Acerholic

Did you collect any Wendy ?? If it were me I don't think I could stop myself Lol.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  16. MapleMO

The Gingko I brought home from Esveld this weekend. It is a new cultivar so not much is known about it. I like the twisted trunk.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Nik, AlainK and 1 other person like this.
  17. Acerholic

Good morning M, very nice size Ginko, mine is GB Autumn gold and tbh looks very similar to yours. You are going be very pleased with it I'm sure. As you say maples and Ginko' s go together well.

18. AlainK

'Shishigashira' finally showing colours, next to the still quite green 'Koto hime' :

acerp-shishi_201109c.jpg acerp-shishi_201109b.jpg

'Arakawa', also one of the last to change colours :

acerp-arakawa_201109a.jpg

ROEBUK, wind-borne, zfrittz and 4 others like this.
  19. Acerholic

Wonderful colours you are still getting Alain, but I suppose that's what 300 miles further South will do !!! I'm looking at an increasing amount of bare branches in my garden now.

20. AlainK

Actually I think our climates are very similar now. A little drier here in summer (?), but we're also having this "African Indian summer" here too until next Wednesday ;°) I turned off the central heating this morning, it was 18° this afternoon outside, 23° inside the house, a lot of sun on the double-glazed windows ^_^

Except for the 'Shishigashira' and 'Koto hime', all my trees have lost almost all their leaves, depending where they were kept. We have maybe one week difference, that's all.

21. Acerholic

I make no apologies for duplicating this to this thread, as I wanted to show the Autumn colours here aswell.
    Just went out for a walk and decided to see how our friends Emperor 1 was doing. This was planted 45 years ago and even though our friends sadly passed some 10 years ago their beloved maple is still giving pleasure to the new owners of the garden.
    So the moral is, when we plant a tree to give us pleasure, just think about the enjoyment they will give long after we are gone. I know our friends would be so pleased to know this is still there.
    [​IMG]

Nik, zfrittz and AlainK like this.
  22. Acerholic

Coming to the end for this year now, but a couple glowed early this morning. My Autumn gold and Beni Hime.

Attached Files:

emery, ROEBUK, AlainK and 2 others like this.
  23. AlainK

To me, early this morning means around 9:00... ;-)

Shishigashira
    Koto hime
    Jerre Schwartz (2)
    Arakawa
    Trompenburg
    Katsura
    Phoenix
    Acer davidii seedling

acerp-shishi_201112a.jpg acerp-kotohime_201112a.jpg acerp-jerre-schwartz02_201112a.jpg acerp-jerre-schwartz02_201112b.jpg acerp-arakawa_201112a.jpg acerp-tromp_201112a.jpg acerpkat02_201112a.jpg acerph02m01_201112a.jpg
    acer-davidii-sem_201112a.jpg

opusoculi, emery, ROEBUK and 3 others like this.
  24. Acerholic

Beautiful Alain and still so much leaf. The Acer davidii seedling is the star for me. Is it from the seed exchange or do you have the parent?

25. AlainK

It's from the seed exchange. I have more than a dozen, if you're interested...

Acerholic likes this.