Autumn colors 2020 - Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Oct 8, 2020.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Lovely photos all

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Several damaged I'm afraid R, but hope all will be well next Spring with new growth. Had to do a lot of artful pruning. Roll on 2021, Lol.

3. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well what a fun evening yesterday was , torrential rain with howling winds to match, thought there would be little in the way of leaves remaining but was pleasantly surprised to see the vast majority of late turners were all still in tact. D sorry to hear your shish was attacked by a fence panel , had the same experience some years back when our next door neighbours shed roof landed up on my back lawn, missed every single tree came over the workshop top and landed on the lawn, very lucky could have caused so much damage !! Hopefully with some pruning you should save it without to much noticeable loss. Some pictures from to day, what a contrast from yesterday sunny with clear blue sky, managed to get lots done in the garden, trees up, trees planted out and some branch pruning to boot. Wednesday on wards looks good for more lifting. Some pictures from to day the Coral bark leaves are gone but still nice to look at though , needing a bit of a trim though!!

Attached Files:

Nik, opusoculi, wind-borne and 7 others like this.
  4. Acerholic

@ROEBUK good evening M, thanks for your kind words of support, I might get over it by 2021 ishh Lol. Love your photos and especially after that awful wind. Amazing so many look untouched. But as I said to Emery earlier, it can't be too long now before we are all in bare bones territory.
    I think your 'Coonara pygmy' is going to be a big hit with anybody watching this thread. As gardens get smaller and smaller what a wonderful cultivar to have if you only have room for one or two maples in the ground, or in a pot on the patio etc etc.
    Hope all goes well over the next month for you M, 'keep safe'.

5. Harcuvar

Harcuvar Member

Here’s a few more...

Ruby Stars
    Shishigashira
    Kuro Hime
    Usugumo
    Geisha Gone Wild
    Smaug’s Eye :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    ROEBUK, Nik, opusoculi and 8 others like this.
  6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Palmatum seedlings making a nice contrast with the very pale yellow of Celtis laevigata. At the bottom, the very small leaves of a 'Little Princess'.

semis_201103a.jpg

When will my 'Tsuma gaki' keep healthy leaves ? Each year, it gets leaf spots :

acerp-tsuma-gaki_201103a.jpg

Putting 'Trompenburg' in the shade wasn't a bad idea after all :

acerp-tromp_201103a.jpg

ROEBUK, Nik, wind-borne and 6 others like this.
  7. Acerholic

Had to reply G, wonderful specimens and that last photo is just a 'Wow'.

8. Acerholic

A beautiful sunny Autumn day in the garden here in England, a bit chilly after yesterday's highs but far more normal and no wind !!! Lots to do at this time after the leaves have dropped, but I still have a few with colour and even some that have not turned yet.

Attached Files:

ROEBUK, Nik, wind-borne and 5 others like this.
  9. Acerholic

Well it was the first cold night of Autumn, down to - 3 ° C. So here are a few of mine that looked quite pretty in the morning frost just minutes ago.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, ROEBUK, Nik and 3 others like this.
  10. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here is some yellow. Acer cappadocicum on Barclay Street in my neighbourhood, which I have posted in other years. These are on a local heritage trees list. These two photos are on adjacent blocks.
    Acer-cappadocicum_BarclayNicola_Cutler_20201102_141229.jpg Acer-cappadocicum_BarclayNicola_Cutler_20201103_124018.jpg

On the same block as the second photo above is a privately planted vine maple blending in, Acer circinatum.
    Acer-circinatum_BarclayBroughton_Cutler_20201103_124535.jpg Acer-circinatum_BarclayBroughton_Cutler_20201103_124548.jpg

11. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Stormy forecast the next few days so the these initial color changes for 'Hubbs Red Willow' may be all for this year.
    11.02.20 08.27 AM.jpg 11.04.20 07.40 AM.jpg 11.04.20 07.35 AM.jpg

LoverOfMaples, ROEBUK, Nik and 6 others like this.
  12. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wow those mature cappadocicum are spectacular. They really are such a pure yellow. Sort of rare to see them as a street tree, although they're common in arboreta.

wcutler likes this.
  13. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

They seem to be one of the last maples to turn. Last week I was wondering if their leaves would all fall without turning, it was taking them so long.

14. dicky5ash

Thanks for the great street photos, please can someone explain what causes the leaves to drop before turning? I have experienced these with a few of mine.

thanks
    Rich

15. Acerholic

@dicky5ash good morning R, I have had many a discussion about this with maple friend's and IMO it is down to being too warm in September/October. Back when I started growing JM 40 plus years ago you could almost guarantee a frost in early October which would see the leaves turn almost overnight, but these days of the climate changing they do not get cold enough to change colour, hence they just brown and drop.
    Now I know the theory is that the change comes from reduced light as the days get shorter, but this is my experience.
    The frosts we have had in the UK these last couple of days is too late for many trees and not just JM.
    Just to let you know I have suffered this year the same as you with leaf drop before they changed, not all by any means but it does seem to be increasing in numbers. We are all in the same boat I'm afraid R.
    Anyway that's my theory, probably totally wrong!!!!

dicky5ash likes this.
  16. Acerholic

A very hard frost this morning but the most beautiful blue sky, so I took this one of my Sangu Kaku. Still holding it's leaves compared to my Bi hoo which is next to it with no leaves at all.

Sangu kaku 213.JPG
    Bi hoo 213.JPG

LoverOfMaples, Nik, zfrittz and 2 others like this.
  17. dicky5ash

Thanks for that explanation D, has only been the case for a couple of mine, in particular A few japonicum cultivars like Meigetsu and Vitifolium, oh and Jordan.

18. Harcuvar

Harcuvar Member

Here’s a Mikawa Yatsubusa progressing.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    LoverOfMaples, ROEBUK, Nik and 5 others like this.
  19. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

That's about it for the year now...A mixed bag then Satsuki Beni,Baldsmith,Sango K & Shaina.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, Nik, zfrittz and 5 others like this.
  20. AlainK

Various seedlings, one with 3-lobed leaves, perhaps not a palmatum :

acerp-div_201105a.jpg

Emerald Lace. The second photo shows the "flat top" of the tree :

acerp-emerald_201105a.jpg acerp-emerald_201105b.jpg

One of three seedlings labelled Acer oliverianum ssp. formosanum, which is now Acer serrulatum if I'm not wrong :

acer-serrulatum_201105a.jpg

21. Acerholic

Ahhh Jordan!!! Does it ever get to Autumn colours ? The Shirasawanum's are a mixed bag that year on year you never know how they will turn out. The Japonicums normally do OK, but this has been a strange year for maples. Normality for 2021 we hope !!!

22. dicky5ash

@AlainK Here’s the tree you hate Koelreuteria Paniculata lol.yellows and oranges..reds to come...have you chopped yours down yet?

Adds some colour after the JM have dropped..its 3m in a 300ltr pot..but no lanterns strangely.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

Love that glow R. Bet it brightens that corner of your garden without the sun.

24. AlainK

Good idea to grow it in a pot.

25. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

My seed grown favorite
    Best year for fall color
    The yellows and oranges were on the backside and new colors for the maple this year

Nov 2020 008.JPG Nov 2020 009.JPG Nov 2020 010.JPG Nov 2020 011.JPG