Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Thought I'd share a couple of die-hards....they start flowering early and just keep going

Peruvian lily 'Inca Ice'
    Rudbeckia 'Irish eyes'

Attached Files:

Nik, Margot and Acerholic like this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I have added this on the flowers that bloom in the fall thread, but wanted to add it to @Margot thread also. This is about to flower on the 23rd October, my Lonicera Strawberries and cream.

Attached Files:

Nik, pmurphy and Margot like this.
  4. Acerholic

So very wet here all weekend, but the sun came out on my Cryptomeria Japonica 'Elegans' this morning with rain drops still hanging, so thought it would be nice to show.

Attached Files:

Nik and Margot like this.
  5. pmurphy

Well the cold Autumn temperatures hit with a vengeance the other morning so that meant the end of even my "die-hards". And after a brisk walk at the dog park we harvested the last of the fruits: gold kiwi (Actinidia chinensis) and bitter orange 'Flying Dragon' (Poncirus trifoliata).
    I was pleasantly surprised as to how well the golds did; I got 156 fruit off the vines equalling 16 lbs....and at $5 for 6 fruit in the supermarket I have a small fortune sitting on my kitchen counter :)

Attached Files:

Nik and Margot like this.
  6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The frost must have been hard on the banana plants.

wcutler and Margot like this.
  7. Acerholic

A week ago I posted a photo of my Lonicera Strawberries and cream coming into flower. Here it is today amongst all the rain. I even got the scent when out in my garden that is normally reserved for Summer Lonicera strawberries and cream 206.JPG .

Margot, pmurphy and Nik like this.
  8. pmurphy

The weather was beautiful today but then came the wind and some of my trees are bare now. I was however able to snap a photo of my medlar before it lost most of its leaves.

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  9. pmurphy

Being the time of year that it is I thought I'd share a few photos of a creature that appears in my front garden every year for the entire month of October. He is rather large (2m tall) and scaley with a wingspan measuring over 2m. And his flashing blue eyes and loud roars will follow your every movement. Although very threatening in appearance he attracts and delights hundreds of visitors for one special night. Unfortunately this year due to Covid, he must remain in hibernation until safe to reappear....

HAPPY HALLOWEEN ALL!

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic and Margot like this.
  10. Acerholic

This is not my garden but my neighbours, but thought I would show what appeared this morning. Very Spooky !!!!
    IMG_20201030_114119017_HDR.jpg
    Quercus robur btw to keep this botanical!!!

Margot, Nik and pmurphy like this.
  11. Nik

Nik Contributor

Not much going on in the yard these days. Mosses, lichens and evergreen ferns and conifer saplings are the best performers this time of year.

Attached Files:

Acerholic and Margot like this.
  12. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I especially like autumn leaves that display the whole gamut of colours of green through yellow, orange and red. These come close enough.
    Imperata cylindrica - Japanese Blood Grass
    Darmera peltata - Indian Rhubarb
    Hydrangea 'Paris Rapa' (very dwarf)

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic and pmurphy like this.
  13. Acerholic

My Twisted Hazel lost almost all its leaves over the weekend due to the gale force winds. But a few are left amongst the contorted branches.
    Twisted hazel 208.JPG

Margot and Nik like this.
  14. Margot

After almost 15 years, I'm finally starting to feel good about this part of my garden. I've been ripping things out and moving things around and thought I'd share - still a work in progress but closer now to the 'finished' garden.

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic, wcutler and 1 other person like this.
  15. pmurphy

The sun was going down so I snapped a couple of photos before the weather is supposed to turn nasty tomorrow....

Strawberry tree with flowers and fruit
    Pawpaw

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic and Margot like this.
  16. pmurphy

I don't think there is such a thing as "a finished garden"....I find they are always evolving and I love that :)

Acerholic likes this.
  17. Margot

I agree - that's why I wrote 'finished' in quotes. I am so looking forward to the tweaking stage, when no large shrubs or perennials need to be moved anymore. This is the last year I will attempt to move 100 to 200-pound plants; my wrists are wreaked after years of doing so and take too long these days to heal. I wrote a little 'poem' once that ended with the words - "I wonder which will be finished first - my garden or me."

Acerholic likes this.
  18. Acerholic

And so you should Margot, its looking wonderful. Thankyou for sharing the result of your hard work.
    A few years ago my wife and I said to each other, that our garden was finished and since then we have changed everything!!!! Lol. Perhaps we gardeners don't like the thought of no more gardening to do.

19. Acerholic

A lovely sunny day here in Southern England. Temperatures more normal at 12 ° C. So today I thought I would show two of my Osmanthus. The first is Osmanthus varigata coming into flower and the second is Osmanthus hetroph purpureus.
    Osmanthus varigata 209.JPG
    Osmanthus hetroph purpureus 209.JPG

You have to have something when the maple leaves have dropped!

pmurphy likes this.
  20. scilover

scilover Member

If you taking photos by the camera then it is good because the lens highlight the main point of the photos.

21. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Did it have fruits on it? I saw some fruits on the one at Dart's Hill Garden last month, first time I've seen them, I think, but I didn't really get them in focus.

22. Acerholic

Last evening as the sun was dropping, I caught out of the corner of my eye my Ilex aquifolium marginata with some lovely red berries. Thought it looked quite seasonal. Just needed a Robin and it would have been perfect.
    Ilex aquifolium Marginata 209.JPG

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  23. Acerholic

There are some plants that get ignored if they are not in flower or have bright Autumnal colours, but that never happens with my wife and I. We love all our plants at all times of the year. So I thought I would share my Elaeagnus ebbingei with a touch of frost on it's leaves this morning.
    Eleaganus ebbingei 210.JPG

Nik likes this.
  24. Acerholic

Another hard frost this morning and my Purple sage was covered in a dusting so could not resist from taking a photo to share.
    Purple sage 205.JPG

Margot, pmurphy and Nik like this.
  25. Margot

Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens' with Garry Oak and A. p. 'Osakazuki' leaves.

There's no rush to rake these up is there?

Attached Files:

Nik and pmurphy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.